Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM

132 posts, read 545,211 times

Advertisements

No one has answered your other questions because they're so appalled by that commute they can't wrap their heads around the rest of it.

Seriously, whatever you have experienced in other locations, be aware that the traffic here is truly awful, and Berkley is way the hell away from... basically everything. Also, Berkley is a tiny little Town with less than 7,000 residents, so the odds are most people here have never heard of it before this (myself included) much less been there.

If I'm reading the map correctly, the nearest Whole Foods is over 40 miles away.
There is an IKEA 26 miles away.
There's a Target around 28 miles away.

It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere, quite frankly. Perhaps someone who has actually been there can correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM

44 posts, read 127,380 times
Well, I am used to traffic. Lived and commuted in Houston, Chicago, Toronto, and Dallas. I am sure the traffic is no different. ITs the least of our worries.

I realize Berkley is a small town. So tell me where we will go to see nice things...where the action is....good shops etc.
Providence? Franklin? Taunton?

What about groceries? what is the big chain there? I am used to HEB, Kroger, Publix and Win Dixie. What do you have in that area? Which town or city has the most stuff to do? with kids per say?

thanks all for helping

Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 PM

454 posts, read 796,038 times
Providence has Nordstrom & some wonderful shopping. Plus a great zoo. There's a whaling museum (I think) in New Bedford, plus Mystic, CT is wonderful for kids in the summer (aquarium). You can also day trip to Plymouth Rock & Plimouth Plantation.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Yes, Providence would be the nearest big city. There's also a mall in Taunton, a small one in Swansea. Assorted chain stores around. The area is mostly small towns. You would not be too far from Horseneck Beach in Westport.

One of my husband's former secretaries lived in Berkley, otherwise I would never have heard of it.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 AM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
This is from the "way back" machine years ago, but my brothers went to camps nearby in Lakeville and Freetown and Middleborough. Very, very pretty country, at least back in the day.

The drawback would be that shopping at your favorite stores will involve a bit of a drive. Berkley used to be part of Taunton back in Colonial days. As another poster has said, probably Taunton will offer the nearest shopping.

Horseneck is my favorite beach ever, an absolutely terrific beach.

As someone who lives in FL, I shake my head when posters assume that Mass. has the only traffic going. Miami is actually fiendishly reminiscent of the Boston area in the traffic-problems department.

There is a Costco (or at least there used to be?) near the Ikea in my hometown, Stoughton. 45 minutes drive or so?

If you like outdoors activities, you are sure to find things to do. For years, this area is where many of the MA kids' camps were located.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 AM

There's a BJ's and a Sam's Club not far from Berkley.

We have some very close friends that live in Rehoboth, near the Swansea town line. Until I looked at the map, I didn't realize how close that was to Berkley. I think the wife shops at BJ's and Stop & Shop.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 AM

44 posts, read 127,380 times
Thanks for the info. Is Stop & Shop the major grocery chain up there? I love BJ's I shop there all the time here in FL

Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Yes, Stop & Shop and Shaw's are the major chains in that area. There are also lots of small farms around there so I'm sure you're going to see farm stands.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:00 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Stop & Shop. Price Chopper. Market Basket. Shaw's. There's also a couple Wegmans, but the closest is in Chestnut Hill. They are opening one basically on the Burlington/Woburn border

I don't know if all them exist in SE Mass though - very few Market Baskets in Worcester county.

There's a mall in N. Attleborough, almost in RI.
There's a Trader Joe's all the way in Foxborough - at the Patriot's Stadium. There's quite a few shops up there: Bass Pro, EMS, a Reebok store, etc.
Fall River has some old fighting ships as a floating museum.

You can do a day trip to Newport without having to pay the brigde tolls

Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM

The Wrentham Outlets are about a 40-45 minute drive from there, all highway.

One thing your kids might be interested in (or maybe not) is that this area is part of the infamous Bridgewater Triangle and the Hockomock Swamp - the most "haunted" area of the state. It is really creepy at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts