Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. I found a subdivision called Legacy Farms in Hopkinton. Anyone have any familiarity with the development and/or Hopkinton itself? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I found a subdivision called Legacy Farms in Hopkinton. Anyone have any familiarity with the development and/or Hopkinton itself? Thanks.
Yes. We have friends (empty nesters) who recently sold their single family in Hopkinton and are moving to a townhouse there. They are also building a large house in Florida and plan to split their time between the 2.

I believe that is the site of a former nursery. I don't know that much about it, but I would be less than thrilled about rental apartments on the site.

Hopkinton is a very nice town. It's fairly rural, but close to Framingham and Milford for all the shopping opportunities you could want. There are many newer neighborhoods that contain families with young children, you might want to look at resales, first.

The schools are very good.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all of the great replies. So far the most research I have done is in the Framingham/Hopkinton/Holliston area and it seems about what we are looking for. Still need to branch out and look at some more. One concern is the commute from this area to the city. Currently, my job is outside of the city but that may change over the coming years with a new job, transfer, etc... As I am in finance this will inevitably put my in the city itself. So, if we lived in Holliston or Hopkinton and I commuted to the city m-f for a 9-5er what commute times would I be looking at? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM

A little over an hour, catching the train from Ashland.

MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM

I have stumbled upon Wrentham and it looks like it meets a lot of our criteria. Anyone have any familiarity with this area. Seems to have a good amount of kids and family programs. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Wrentham is a nice town, but it's not close I90. Big box stores are located in surrounding towns, as is the train to Boston. But there is a fabulous outlet mall in Wrentham I bet your wife would love.

The schools are good, the middle and high schools are regionalized with 2 neighboring towns. The town is quiet, but very safe.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Casey, thanks so much. A commute to Boston looks to be an hour door to door which isnt bad. Plus I like being close to the stadium.

Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to livng in Wrentham versus Hopkinton or Holliston?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Where is there a new housing development in Lynnfield? Keep in mind their budget is $650K.
There isn't. there might be a house 1 off here or there but its not going to be less than $650 unless its on Summer St. or Main near the town center.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Casey, thanks so much. A commute to Boston looks to be an hour door to door which isnt bad. Plus I like being close to the stadium.

Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to livng in Wrentham versus Hopkinton or Holliston?
Geographically I'd prefer Hopkinton over Wrentham because it's closer to I-90 which is a straight shot into Boston. Wrentham is on I-495 which is the highway to nowhere. Wrentham also borders RI and is more associated with Providence than Boston.

An hour door to door is being very optimistic from either town. It's doable if you drive and leave by 5:30AM, but not if you take the train. It's already about an hour just for the train ride and you need to drive to the next town to catch the train from either location. My office is one of the closest buildings to South Station and it still took me 65 minutes door to door (55 minutes on the express) when I lived in Natick, which is much closer to Boston than either Hopkinton or Wrentham. You need to add about 20-30 minutes (or more if you need to transfer to the subway) to the train ride for your total commute time unless you live on the tracks. I'm also in finance and I can tell you the jobs in our industry pay about 25% higher on average in Boston vs. the suburbs. It's something you need to consider even if you don't currently work in the city. With that being said, a 1.5 hour commute is pretty typical for a LI'er anyways right?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM

Question on going into Boston on the weekends from either Hopkinton or Wrentham. Since I will not be commuting everyday, but we still want to be able to take the kids into Boston for activities, etc.. I know during weekends its a lot easier to get into NYC, especially if you drive. Hows the saturday/sunday drive into Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts