Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
With a top range of $500k???
Triple that for Wellesley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Taylor View Post
I lived in the Boston area for 4 years and would highly recommend Wellesley, Wellesley Hills and Weston. I'm not sure of current real estate prices, but you may find something in your range. Good luck with your move!
This post is like taking a kid to the candy store and then making them walk out without any candy! Cruel... very cruel to suggest these towns with a 500k budget. OP probably tells people the endings to movies, too.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,952 times
Thankfully I know enough to know Wellesley is well outside my budget. Though, I can appreciate the spirit of the post: trying to throw some new options into the mix.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaterCharlotte View Post
Thanks for all the great information. We aren't at all tied to that area -- it just so happened to be some of my first recommendations. However, we are trying to be South of Boston to remain close to our families (especially with kids on the way).

So really the only restriction is "South" of Boston. Not so much "South West."
I don't want to make you give up too much personal information, but is there a particular area south of Boston you're hoping to stay close to? Along either coast for example, or in the middle, closer to Boston, closer to the Cape, etc ?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 22,054 times
Consider West Roxbury (not to be confused with Roxbury!). Shuould be within your budget.
You may also want to consider Winthrop. It is a few miles North of Downtown Boston, but offers an easy commute South and South West.
Do you need a public school? If you don't - Randolph, Quincy and Milton are not bad otherwise and are below your budget.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmt123 View Post
Consider West Roxbury (not to be confused with Roxbury!). Shuould be within your budget.
You may also want to consider Winthrop. It is a few miles North of Downtown Boston, but offers an easy commute South and South West.
Do you need a public school? If you don't - Randolph, Quincy and Milton are not bad otherwise and are below your budget.
They seem to want something southwest, not what we would consider the south shore. More the Neponset Valley area.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,952 times
Hey folks,
Sorry for the delayed replies. We're trying to remain south of the city to keep a reasonable driving distance to our families in RI. Other than that, anything is game. We aren't locked into Southwest, it's just where I've gotten the most recommendations. We're open to any new areas south of the city.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:20 AM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
Working on my own searches in a few states, I've found good real estate values in a few towns I think haven't been mentioned yet: Easton, Pembroke and Plymouth. I don't know about the schools, though. Duxbury is a pricier town, but there might be houses in the range you mention out in the woods (as opposed to right near the beach). Schools in Duxbury are excellent. My brother's three children thrived in competitive colleges after public schooling in Duxbury. The towns I've mentioned aren't too far from RI.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 AM

They keep trying to send you to the South Shore, I guess!, LOL.

Seriously, if you want a 1 hour or less commute into Boston, a downtown with a train station and a few stores, that is family-friendly and will give you highway access to Providence, look at Franklin or Walpole. Those are your easiest choices. My preference would be for Franklin, since they are more welcoming to new residents, but either one would work.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They keep trying to send you to the South Shore, I guess!, LOL.

Seriously, if you want a 1 hour or less commute into Boston, a downtown with a train station and a few stores, that is family-friendly and will give you highway access to Providence, look at Franklin or Walpole. Those are your easiest choices. My preference would be for Franklin, since they are more welcoming to new residents, but either one would work.
or Mansfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts