Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times

Advertisements

I tried searching the forums and online - I could only find the *current* drive time, not what to expect when commuting from Worcester to Winchester Center or commuting from Worcester to Braintree.

I'm hoping this will be a short term thing since our house is about to go on the market and will move further East. My main office would be Winchester if all goes well.

Does anyone have an idea? I know bother are over an hour during non-rush or non "pre-rush" hours.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM

114 posts, read 323,499 times
I knew someone who commuted daily from Oxford to Medford, as far as I know she still does - that's essentially the same commute as Worcester to Winchester. I think you would probably take the Mass Pike in to Watertown and then drive back roads through Arlington to Winchester (I used to commute from Winchester to Watertown and it's not bad).

It would probably take less than 2 hours each way. You could experiment with driving the mass pike all the way into the city and then taking 93 north to Medford (and from there to Winchester).

What google maps suggests, taking the mass pike to 128 and then I suppose route 2 to Arlington, doesn't strike me as the best alternative because of traffic, but it might work.

You could also take the commuter rail from Worcester to South Station, then the Orange Line to North Station, then the commuter rail to Winchester Center. The MBTA trip planner says that's 154 minutes but I think it can be done faster, but 2 and 1/2 hours is probably sensible.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM

316 posts, read 724,509 times
Just a total crapshoot thought, but I would try 290E to 495N to 2E to Park Ave in Arlington north to Winchester or 290E to 495N to 93S to Winchester. I'm not sure on the times, but I'd think that the first option above would probably cut out the most traffic congestion time. The worst stretch would probably be through the lights in Concord on Route 2. The second option could be tricky in stretches along 93 between 495 and Winchester. I'd guess 1 1/2 hours perhaps, but I'm really not sure on the time!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
I did that last week, but at lunch time. Without traffic 9 to pike to 95 to 2 to Park Rd exit through Arlington takes just under 1 hour - I think I did it in 55 or 57 minutes. The only backup was at the Pike to 95 N ramp that was under construction.

Taking 2 all the way from 495 is a crap shoot due to the lights in Concord. If it were a limited access highway the whole way, IMHO that would be the best route.

Could also take 290 -> 495 -> 3 -> 95 -> 3. Right now it would be awful due to the bridge construction on 495 around 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts