Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 AM

417 posts, read 734,380 times

Advertisements

hired out a few times and husband raked it a few times but leaking from the sills is still an issue. lots of work to be done on the house this spring. what a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:39 AM

371 posts, read 537,467 times
I recently moved to the Concord-Carlisle area from Vermont, and I am curious as to why no one has standing seam roofs here. So far I have only seen one in Carlisle, but in Vermont it is the roof of choice and is quite common. I had one on my house and never had an issue with ice dams or snow building up on the roof.

Is it simply a question of aesthetics? I am guessing that this year's record snowfall in the Boston area is unusual and metal roofs are not normally ever needed. Am I right?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I bet metal roof is much more expensive than shingles roof. I've only seen it used in a This Old House episode

Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Nope, as most don't need their roofs shoveled despite what the media says. If your roof hasn't leaked yet it's not going to.

Many factors involved with roofs, which include the pitch, any flat areas where epdm is used (rubber), if u have good venting via ur soffit vents.

Having good soffit vents will help keep ur home cooler in the summer and help prevent ice dams in times like this.

I will say that anyone with a flat roof on their home should consider reducing the load there. You don't have shovel all the snow off, just consider removing maybe half of it. And that's a job a homeowner should be able to do on there own as it's a flat area but an area that is most suspect to cave or fail..

Anyone with a decent pitched roof shouldn't be worrying about their roof failing. Ice dams and water leaking yes, but not total roof collapse. If u do experience water damage call ur insurance agent as conditions like this is why we pay for the protection and from what i understand the only thing not covered is furniture, tv's etc that is located where the water is coming in. So move that stuff if your having a problem.

At this point, good luck getting a roofer to clean off your roof, and if u do one will pay through the ROOF! LOL As i said if it's not leaking now and no problems don't buy into the hype. And too qualify, I've been roofing for years and still do. Good luck all as these are the most extreme conditions; so yes people will have some issues but believe the media isn't helping the situation either.
As you know, ice dams and icicles are caused by heat loss. A way to find where you need to
insulate.

Hope everyone has ice and water shield under your shingles!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm more concerned of where all water is going.

If you haven't bought a sump pump I'd get one asap because this is going to melt for awhile. Water goes to where there is the least resistance. I just spent a fair amount of time with some bare fingers making sure a deck doesn't have dams. If it melts it's melting and going OFF not staying.
You could make paths through the snow if not able to shovel all snow.

Also be sure all roof drains and street drains are open to water runoff.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I wonder, if you need to replace some interior walls due to water damage is that covered by insurance. Have you called yours yet? I also had water leaking into the house this week through my ceiling/walls. I had a heck of a time trying to find a ladder this week. All my ladders were too short, and every store I went to only had 16 foot ladders in stock. The 4th store I went to finally had a 22 footer in stock. Finally chipped away my ice dams so tomorrow's rain has a path to drain through the ice.
Your insurance should pay. However they are telling you do nothing until company appraisers
Come and evaluate.

Hmmm if I had a leak, don't know how long I'd wait.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I recently moved to the Concord-Carlisle area from Vermont, and I am curious as to why no one has standing seam roofs here. So far I have only seen one in Carlisle, but in Vermont it is the roof of choice and is quite common. I had one on my house and never had an issue with ice dams or snow building up on the roof.

Is it simply a question of aesthetics? I am guessing that this year's record snowfall in the Boston area is unusual and metal roofs are not normally ever needed. Am I right?
More popular here are the shingle lookalike metal roofs.

You are right.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
It's wonderful to look out my windows and see the icicles quickly shrinking today. Of course, if all this snow melts too fast that's bad news too but that's not going to happen at these temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post

Typically, when I see a metal roof on a residential home it's copper. Copper is VERY expensive.

Also, it's incredibly unusual to have this much standing snow in the Boston area. This situation is a combination of several unusual circumstances:
  1. More large snow storms (1 ft+ of snowfall) than usual
  2. All the snow storms coming close together in a 3 week period
  3. Consistently low temperatures which prevented any of the snow from melting in between storms

Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
My landlord is out of town and while his business partner came by last week, he didn't do anything to the roof. We're the top floor so we're the most nervous about leaking. Not much we can do, though, except hope.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 AM

371 posts, read 537,467 times
I was hoping this isn't the norm for Boston! After last winter in Vermont, I was hoping to escape the extreme snow and cold. Hopefully next winter will be better.

Most of the standing seam metal roofs up north are aluminum, but there are steel ones as well. I have done two smaller homes and it wasn't significantly more than shingles but never looked very attractive, especially when the width between the seams is large and out of scale with the size of the house. Now they have some metal roofs that, as one poster mentioned, actually look like shingles but of course I am sure they are far more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts