Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

Hey All!

I currently live on the South Shore and Commute into Boston for work, via the Commuter rail into South Station, which I love because I can walk to work from there in about 10 mins. I'm moving in with my boyfriend in June and he's a real back woods kind of guy so I'm looking for a nice inbetween place for us. Something where we can have our space but still commute into the city in a reasonable amount of time (an hour or so).

Am I asking to much?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluea11 View Post
Hey All!

I currently live on the South Shore and Commute into Boston for work, via the Commuter rail into South Station, which I love because I can walk to work from there in about 10 mins. I'm moving in with my boyfriend in June and he's a real back woods kind of guy so I'm looking for a nice inbetween place for us. Something where we can have our space but still commute into the city in a reasonable amount of time (an hour or so).

Am I asking to much?

thanks!
Possibly. You should provide budget and commute requirements. I would think that being in town on a railroad into major city is type of "in between" for you both. What is actually missing right now? Real woods?

Maybe you just need house that has little bit more land, and less neighbors, but you can stay in a general area where you are now?

I know of Rowley which is pretty rural on North Shore, and Norfolk and Norwell on South Shore are pretty under-developed, if that is what you are looking for.

Lincoln and Weston are probably offer best of the both worlds with woodsy lots, and tucked away type of existence, but an easy commute to Boston as well. There are also Concord, Wayland, Hopkinton, Holliston, Carlisle, Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, North Reading etc..Many towns would offer homes with more space and nature, but your budget and commute will determine what is optimum.

Good luck, hope he is a keeper.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
To help us with a point of reference for advising you, need to know...

What is the closest train or subway stop to your current employer?

Where is the SO currently living? What town are you currently in?

Off the top of my head, backwoods has me thinking Plymouth or Carver to south, Topsfield, Georgetown Rowley, to the north.

If you are looking for something rugged, Weston and Lincoln won't do it for you.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,560 times
Essex.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,972 times
Rural is vague, but I am assuming it means private, undeveloped, and wooded, not necessarily wood cabin rugged with no civilization or stores for miles and miles around? Or he wants real working farm type of environment?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM

10,032 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
To help us with a point of reference for advising you, need to know...

What is the closest train or subway stop to your current employer?

Where is the SO currently living? What town are you currently in?

Off the top of my head, backwoods has me thinking Plymouth or Carver to south, Topsfield, Georgetown Rowley, to the north.

If you are looking for something rugged, Weston and Lincoln won't do it for you.
I think she says she works 10 min. from South Station so I assume that's her preferred destination.

Still need to know about the budget.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Within an hr? I feel like there are an endless amount of places. West, Southwest, Northwest. Tons of towns. I wouldn't call Weston rural.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:30 AM

33 posts, read 45,137 times
What about Ayer? Lunenburg still has at least two working dairy farms.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,531,672 times
Groton, Dunstable, Shirley, Harvard, Berlin, Grafton.

Though if you need S Station the first few aren't the most convenient.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 AM

4,635 posts, read 4,903,958 times
Upton, Mendon, 1 hour might be stretching it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts