Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM

32 posts, read 111,145 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Carlisle, MA, in Connecticut now, and my husband is looking at a very promising job in Andover/North Andover. Though I grew up only 30 minutes away, I know little about the town. I think I like the sounds/looks of it, but have a few questions--below. We may wind up commuting down to Concord or Winchester (if we can afford)--love the homes in Concord especially--but perhaps there is no real value in that.

We're in our early thirties, no kids (yet), and are ideally looking for (from what I've read) a Hingham or maybe Needham-like community--which is to say lots of family and kids programs and activities, yes, but also parents/adult groups--active newcomers clubs, book clubs, etc. So:

-I know it's a tough question, but how would folks characterize the sociability of the town?
-What is the North Andover country club like? Not necessarily country club folks, but might help connect us to new friends?
-In terms of snobbery, does Andover "feel" more like a flashy, more image-driven place (more like a Wellesley, which I think is gorgeous by the way), a more intellectual, old Volvo town (more like Concord), or something else? Another hard one, I know--experiences are individual, etc., etc.
-I noticed a lot of the housing stock seems to be new construction--builder's colonials without in my opinion much character. Love houses along School St.--any other areas to check out? Not opposed to new construction (like shingle style, etc.), but don't like the particular houses I've seen, hate to say.
-North Andover: How does this compare to Andover in terms of schools, etc.?
-Where do people go out to eat? Any new restaurants coming in to center? Seems like there's not that many for population size?
-I know the rankings are decent, but what do people think of the schools?

Any information on the above of anything else appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM

550 posts, read 681,514 times
I happen to live in North Andover and work in Andover. Andover is the more expensive town out of the two. North Andover is more rural than Andover and I happen to really like that. Andover's downtown is a lot nicer since it has more businesses and restaurants in that area. North Andover does have great restaurants on Rt 125 and a few on 114. Andover schools rank higher but the special ed department in North Andover is better. If your children are in Elementary school and you decide on NA I suggest moving to Franklin or Kittredge school district. Both of those schools are level 1. Check out Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for each schools report card. You will see both school districts are classified as a level 2. Unfortunately Andover has been in the news recently because of Heroine making it's way into the high school. A few teens overdosed. Hopefully the town will start to address the problem instead of brushing it off

Last edited by sal1181; 07-16-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM

We have a great Moms group page on FB for both towns and I can say they are a great group of ladies. They always are willing to help anyone in need. Definitely not snobby as some people might think. Check out Boxford as well. Great town also and more rural

Old 07-16-2015, 12:00 PM

forgot to mention The Newcomers & Neighbors of The Andovers group. A great way to meet new people as they are alway doing activities for the members

Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Lynnfield or Reading may be to your liking. Reading has a quaint walkable downtown with many independent eating places and Lynnfield has a new small scale mall with many trendy casual eating places. Both towns have tree lined streets with many homes with character. Wakefield is also worth a look. The town center has many independent eating places and even an independent grocery Farmland. Many of the streets around the town center and lake are scenic with historic homes and other well maintained homes. Of the three mentioned, Lynnfield is the closest to Carlisle in character. Middleton is a beautiful rustic town but may be too quiet for you.

I have been scoping out these towns a bit and find all of these pretty relaxed and friendly.

Winchester is a similar vibe on a grander scale. Next door neighbor Woburn has all the independent and family-owned restaurants you'd want. And Burlington nearby for the shopping.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
I think you are looking for more refined vibe, quaint, and with neighborhood feel.

Andover is probably the closest, but not quite there if you compare it with e.g.Concord, which would definitely offer what you are looking for in a more expensive package.

I would go with Andover without reservations, as it has has plenty going for it. If you can afford it, it is the best town you can choose from in the area. Great schools, vibrant town center and Main St. Whole Foods, Phillips Academy, train into Boston, and very beautiful historic streets and homes. If you can find something near town center, you would be all set.

North Andover is not as educated, wealthy, or quaint.

Reading is cheaper, getting more desirable, but might not be what you want exactly.

Lynnfield is very beautiful, but too car oriented. No sidewalks, or town center to speak off. You would spend all your life in the car. Schools are very well regarded.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:16 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Anyone that refers to them as The Andovers is from North Andover.......LOL

Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 PM

How is North Andover not as educated as Andover? It's not like the people in this town are losers. Check out the Brooks School which is also a day boarding school like Phillips but more expensive costing $55K a year. Real Estate is also hot in this town everything sells quickly if priced right.

Last edited by sal1181; 07-16-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM

32 posts, read 111,145 times
Thanks so much for all of these very helpful responses--so kind of you all! We took a drive up yesterday; I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of the area. I knew it would be nice, but the historic homes, bucolic scenery, winding roads, and lovely centers (North and Andover) made me wonder why Andover hasn't become Wellesley-level in price scale. I suppose it is a little further out, but with 93 (traffic notwithstanding) and trains, wouldn't be terrible to commute to Boston if at.

I would say my only and main reservation would be the schools and perhaps specifically this heroin issue, which is not the first I've heard of it. I know that all schools have their isolated groups who dabble in drugs, hard and otherwise, but growing up in Carlisle especially, I have to say we were pretty protected from any of that until CCHS/high school--and even then it was limited to small sub-groups (even pot). This was probably in part because kids were so obsessed about getting into the best colleges/universities (perhaps too much, but kept folks out of trouble). I would have assumed Andover was similar. What is driving this issue? Is it a true issue at all or just a few kids making bad decisions?

Any additional general feedback on the schools would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 10,430 times
I grew up in Andover (27 now), and had an experience similar to what you described. A majority of kids didn't experiment with more than alcohol and weed. It seems that kids have taken their experimenting to new places. I still think it is relatively an isolated thing, but it is definitely more prevalent than it used to be. I think it has to do with how close Lawrence is, combined with kids being bored and unsupervised. A student who just graduated from AHS made a documentary about the issue: https://youtu.be/Lrq2S7qbZ-o

Overall, I loved growing up in Andover, fwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts