Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 AM

82 posts, read 413,414 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I currently live in the western mass and have been here for about 5 years. I grew up in this area and moved back from the Boston area following my divorce. At the time of moving back I wasn't sure if it would be a permanent or temporary move. The last several months have been tough for me and I am considering moving back to the Boston area. I currently have a job in Cambridge but work remotely full time so I could move back with that job. At the same time I would like to find a new job after I move back but it would most likely still be in the Cambridge area.

My concern is finding a home I can afford in a decent school system for my kids but close to Cambridge. Ideally I would like no more than an hour drive to work with traffic. I am thinking any of the towns north or northwest of Cambridge make the most sense. My budget for a home would probably be around $350k-$400k. I would like a 3 bedroom but don't mind a little house. Any options for that budget?

I have looked a little on zillow and the only town that pops up with some options in this price range is Stoneham. I don't know the schools so any input for that town would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
That budget is going to seriously limit what you can buy, especially in any town close to Cambridge with good schools. Theres a 3 bed, 2 bath in Arlington, but for 449K. And its only 1150 sq feet. Moving further out, Burlington has a couple of houses but would most likely be tear downs. Honestly, You'll find more options in Woburn with that budget, but the schools are not as good.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Why don't you come to Arlington, Belmont, or Watertown and rent for a year first before you are sure about where to go?
You can probably still also find some smaller condos in your price range. It perhaps worth it to give up SF for cheaper and easier commute with great/good schools, and quality of life.

It is tricky to figure it out if you need to be closer to your offspring during the day especially during winter months, school cancellations or storms. Traffic can be brutal everywhere around here, so be careful where you land. I would go with best condo my money can buy in vicinity of Cambridge.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM

513 posts, read 647,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Why don't you come to Arlington, Belmont, or Watertown and rent for a year first before you are sure about where to go?
You can probably still also find some smaller condos in your price range. It perhaps worth it to give up SF for cheaper and easier commute with great/good schools, and quality of life.

It is tricky to figure it out if you need to be closer to your offspring during the day especially during winter months, school cancellations or storms. Traffic can be brutal everywhere around here, so be careful where you land. I would go with best condo my money can buy in vicinity of Cambridge.

Good luck.
I think this is great advice.

I will offer my two cents on Stoneham, since you asked. Stoneham has decent schools, and I think it is a nice place to raise a family. I used to live there, so I know the schools and town very well.

How old are your kids? One concern I would have is being able to juggle pick-up and drop-off, assuming you work an 8 hour day. Elementary schools start at 8:15. The after-school program ends at 6. I know from experience that is impossible to drop your kid off, work a full day, and be back to Stoneham by 6.

More importantly, 350K-400K is not going to buy much in Stoneham. The house will be small and will need work.

I don't want to sound like a downer, but if I were in your shoes, I would want to be as close to my kids as possible. I would definitely sacrifice a SF for a condo in Arlington, Belmont, or Watertown and I think renting first is a smart idea.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the advice that is much appreciated. I have considered renting however my concern would be having to move in a year and not having a stable place for my kids. I could definitely afford to rent in Arlington however it will probably never be possible for me to buy. I am willing to look at buying a condo so long as it has an outdoor space. I am coming from a 2500 sq ft beautiful home on a nice lot and a quiet neighborhood. I know getting some remotely similar to this out that way for the money is almost impossible. I am willing to compromise on some things.

My kids are 6 and 8 and my son is on an IEP so schools are definitely important.

One thing I am also considering is the moving to the south shore instead? I know the commute would be even longer to Cambridge but my ex mother in law lives in Easton and she would be available and willing to help with the kids. Would that make more sense?

Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
Canton comes to mind if you want to go that route. It borders Easton, has decent-good schools. Commute into Cambridge would be about a half hour with no traffic, double that with. And there are houses within your budget, but again, wouldn't expect anything glorious. Most will be outdated ranches/capes.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Great thanks! I will look in Canton. I don't mind small homes that need some work so long as it doesn't need a new roof or something major.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightyellowhaha View Post
Great thanks! I will look in Canton. I don't mind small homes that need some work so long as it doesn't need a new roof or something major.
Every house will need one eventually. Do not kid yourself. Are you really up to maintaining and affording SF with everything else you are supposed to, including long commute, and when would you have time for that?

More importantly can you really trust you ex MIL to be 100% there for kids and all the emergencies? You can not return house in Canton if this doesn't work out.

Think long and hard.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
kingeorge makes a good point. OP, I don't know all the details of your situation and your level of expertise with home repair, etc. All I can say is if it were me in your situation, I'd look for a condo and live as close as I could to work. Places that have lots of condos do have outdoor areas that kids can access -- parks, playgrounds, etc., and you can walk to a bunch of places, like walk to school, walk to shops, etc. I think you could get just as much outdoor time (maybe even more) in a condo. You also wouldn't have to worry about outdoor maintenance, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

I currently own a home and this is my 3rd house so I am very familiar with the costs and dealing with maintaining a home. I just had to drop $12k this past spring to have my house completely repainted. I am pretty handy though so I've done all the interior painting, replaced interior and exterior light fixtures and right now I'm working on stripping and retaining the beadboard on my back porch. I am definitely not one to not do stuff on my own. I currently also mow my own lawn, I have a garden, dug up bushes ect. I know I just can't buy as much house out there like I can out here in a good school district. I am definitely willing for to work with a smaller house that needs some love. When I say I don't want to replace the roof, means I don't want to have to do that as soon as I move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts