Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am a 22 yrs old recent college grad who just landed a job in downtown boston. i am currently looking for places to live but idk what is good and what is not. i currently live in west Hartford, CT and i love it here. It is safe, quiet, but there are towns of bars to go out to and have a good time. Lots of young professionals and families living here. i dont have to deal with young college undergrads making noise and i like it like that. Initially i wanted to live by myself, but people have been telling me that places near boston are expensive and that might be unrealistic. what do you guys recommend? i am looking to spend around 700-800 if i have a roommate and about 1200 MAX w/o a roommate. I have read about Cambridge, allston, somerville, and other place. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:59 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline would all be good options, but you are going to need at least one roommate at your budget. Also Jamaica Plain in the city.

If you want 1200 with no roommate, you're going to have to go further out, and I'm not so sure that's a good idea for someone your age who is just moving here.

I think in any place you'd want, you'd need to spend at least 1200 with a roommate, but I haven't looked into the rental market (at least not for many years), so I can't give you specifics on budget.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM

50 posts, read 55,282 times
Cambridge. Look no further, great place, easy acess to Charles river, restaurants, bars, etc, no noises college kids,

Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Are you working in the financial district or the Back Bay? Davis Square in Somerville is a great neighborhood. Its cheaper than harvard or central square and just as fun for young professionals. I would also take a look at Southie in Boston. Lastly JP is a great option, it's cheaper than Southie or Davis square but offers easy downtown/Back Bay access. A nice hipster neighborhood that many love.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Davis Square or Porter Square

How many roommates and luck will determine the price. The woman I'm seeing has two roommates and pays $800 plus utilities in Davis Sq, a couple of blocks from the T stop. She moved there last year, craigslist find.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 AM

93 posts, read 83,040 times
Another vote for Davis Square. Safe, fun, a lot of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, small parks, young people. It's on the red line so good for commuting. Allston also has a lot going on but tends to be more of the louder undergrad scene. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 AM

190 posts, read 202,353 times
Cambridge and parts of Somerville. Davis sq and Porter sq are both excellent options. Make sure you are on a T line as the busses can be much slower. There are lots of students all over the Boston and Cambridge but they are ok. Allston is very student filled and urban, not attractive. Ok, I am repeating what others said. You will definitely need roommates, housing is expensive. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 AM

38 posts, read 51,208 times
Get a roomate and get the cheapest place possible on Beacon Hill (I lived in an apartment next to tunnell by MGH). Walking distance to work, and to everywhere. I did it for a year before I moved to South Boston and it was fantastic for the easy commute to work and the easy accessability (walking) to nightlife.

But note, this was 1998.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcedar View Post
Get a roomate and get the cheapest place possible on Beacon Hill (I lived in an apartment next to tunnell by MGH). Walking distance to work, and to everywhere. I did it for a year before I moved to South Boston and it was fantastic for the easy commute to work and the easy accessability (walking) to nightlife.

But note, this was 1998.
Beacon Hill would be great if there is something available. Even earlier in that decade, my roommate in law school had lived for her first year in law school with two roommates in a beautiful place in Beacon Hill. It was a great apartment in a great location. She moved in with me when I started law school and we were in Brookline. So, yes, Beacon Hill was great, but that was over two decades ago, so I can't speak to whether it's a feasible option now.

(I loved Brookline, too. I lived in two different apartments and both were great. There were lots of people -- a mix of families, working people, and grad students. Not so many undergrads, which I liked. I mentioned Brookline because the OP mentioned how where he lived currently was a similar mix.)

Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
Where in downtown is your job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts