Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 AM

23,670 posts, read 18,773,605 times

Advertisements

I expect nothing less from grandstanding opportunistic buffoons like Liz Warren, or Marty Walsh. I also realize that we no longer hold our elected officials to even the same moral standards as are required from most of us on the job, as various actions from BOTH recent presidential candidates would get most of us fired. But this is the attorney general we are talking about. She is not only here to serve and represent us, but to also uphold the law of the commonwealth. That position carries with it the highest of moral and ethical standards, and the person holding it should certainly not suffer from a loose tongue or be putting on a political show.

But this is of course Maura Healy, who has already demonstrated that pushing a political agenda is a higher priority than enforcing the law itself (which the legislature decides, not her).

Police: 100,000 attend Boston Common Women

Healey vowed to challenge the Trump administration.

"We're going to stand up to bullies," Healey said. "We're going to protect the vulnerable ... I have a message for President Trump. The message from people of Massachusetts is, 'we'll see you in court.'"

What???

What bullies? Protect what vulnerable from what? Have credible threats been made? The "People of Massachusetts" will see Trump in court??? Has Trump committed/or shown intent to commit a crime against the "People of Massachusetts"? He hadn't even taken office yet when she said this!

Healy could clearly use a refresher course on her position's responsibilities. She is there to uphold the law and protect ALL (legal) residents of Massachusetts, not just those not supporting Trump (and before you nail me to the cross, I did not vote for Trump). She is not doing this, and she does NOT speak for the "people of Massachusetts". The woman is a disgrace, and needs to step down before she makes an even bigger mockery of the office (and the law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,418,093 times
In a state with our sorry history of political corruption, I'm not inclined to get too worked up over someone who merely talks. Let her do it, maybe it'll help her stay out of trouble.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
In a state with our sorry history of political corruption, I'm not inclined to get too worked up over someone who merely talks. Let her do it, maybe it'll help her stay out of trouble.
My point is that she is the attorney general. Her job is to uphold the law, and keep her personal views to herself.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
I'm still waiting for the lawsuits from last July's interpretation to play out.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,994 times
Nothing new here. She's a grandstanding political hack...a complete embarrassment to the rule of law. IMO, she was looking for a big position in a Clinton administration, that didn't happen, and now she'll continue pandering to the left and run for governor. Unfortunately, that crap plays really well here.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,148,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm still waiting for the lawsuits from last July's interpretation to play out.
While I don't agree with her politically driven agenda, I do believe she is within her legal bounds on the assault rifle issue ... at least according to what I have read and heard from lawyers regarding the matter.

This said, I wish democrats would focus on the acquisition standards of weapons, and not whether they should exist. I.e., let people buy what they want, but enforce the traceability/accountability which the NRA opposes. But this would be wishing for a middle ground during a political cycle which doesn't tolerate things like "compromise".

12:41pm and I already could use a glass wine or joint (hey, it's legal)

Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,238,001 times
I think she might be referring to Trumps threats that he will cut all funding to sanctuary cities. Many Massachusetts cities are sanctuary cities. I could see some state rights court cases coming out of this. To be fair though many liberals take Trump too literally, I think he will be more of a rank and file republican than people realize.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,148,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think she might be referring to Trumps threats that he will cut all funding to sanctuary cities. Many Massachusetts cities are sanctuary cities. I could see some state rights court cases coming out of this. To be fair though many liberals take Trump too literally, I think he will be more of a rank and file republican than people realize.
If he wants the support of congress, yes.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-23-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think she might be referring to Trumps threats that he will cut all funding to sanctuary cities. Many Massachusetts cities are sanctuary cities. I could see some state rights court cases coming out of this.
He wants to cut DOJ grants to these cities, don't see any grounds where a state could sue on this.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
He wants to cut DOJ grants to these cities, don't see any grounds where a state could sue on this.
Obama administration: ‘Give up privacy or give up funding,’ NC families, students sue

Do you still see no possible avenue for states to sue over the strings attached to federal funding?

Last edited by Partial Observer; 01-23-2017 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts