Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

When talking about illegals and the impact they have on our society I can't help but think about this recent horrific double murder that did not have to happen.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ab9d0ed10fdb

Something that this article doesn't state is that the immigrant who murdered the 2 doctors was actually arrested for robbing 2 banks yet a liberal judge only sentenced him to 364 days because if it was 365 that would have forced him to lose his status and be sent packing. I have a feeling that if an average citizen robbed 2 banks they would get so much more prison time then one day shy of a year.

Why do we have a double standard for our citizens and illegal immigrants?

Charlie Baker is being smart but he is playing both sides of this sensitive issue that should be black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Has baker had an opinion on anything?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
The story I think of is this one:

Reports: Uber Driver Charged With BC Student's Rape in September - The Heights

Boston college student raped by Uber driver. The fact that he is illegal has nothing to do with the crime (ie. just because he was illegal does not mean other illegals are rapists).. but the crazy thing is he was given a low bail of only $2500 and the judge knew he was an illegal so a huge flight risk...

And yep.. he's gone, no where to be found. Crazy injustice for the poor college student, her life is literally destroyed forever...

Old 06-12-2017, 04:22 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When talking about illegals and the impact they have on our society I can't help but think about this recent horrific double murder that did not have to happen.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ab9d0ed10fdb

Something that this article doesn't state is that the immigrant who murdered the 2 doctors was actually arrested for robbing 2 banks yet a liberal judge only sentenced him to 364 days because if it was 365 that would have forced him to lose his status and be sent packing. I have a feeling that if an average citizen robbed 2 banks they would get so much more prison time then one day shy of a year.

Why do we have a double standard for our citizens and illegal immigrants?

Charlie Baker is being smart but he is playing both sides of this sensitive issue that should be black and white.
That guy was legal and yes, he should have been turned over to ICE as soon as his sentence was over.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Yes, he is. It's just smart public policy and promotes public safety.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder how fellow Mass residents feel about the push by so called immigrant rights groups to have our Governor declare Mass a sanctuary state?

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker: Sanctuary city decisions 'best made at local level' | masslive.com

I think Baker is right leaving it up to the towns and cities of the Commonwealth to make up their own rules whether or not their Police departments will work with federal immigration officers when they are confronted with a person who is not supposed to be in the US.

Recently we had that big drug bust in Lawrence that netted a pile of heroine, fentanyl and 30 people of which about a dozen are illegal aliens. They have all been arrested and charged with drug and illegal gun possession as well as immigration violations.
30 arrested in federal fentanyl sweep

Lawrence is a self described sanctuary city and also where 85% of the states fentanyl comes from.
The 30 arrested will answer for their crimes of drugs and illegal guns but if we were a sanctuary state would that mean that the 12 would be released back to the streets when they have served their time?
Why would we want these people here to walk among us and peddle their deadly drugs?

What bothers me the most about the people who stand up in support for the illegal aliens is that they tend to lump all immigrants in with the legal immigrants who stood in line, paid the fees and followed the law to make their American dream come true.

We should not be worried about the people who immigrated lawfully but we should be worried about the people who fly under the radar and don't have anything to lose if they are caught like those in Lawrence.

I think Charlie Baker is right to avoid the stigma that comes with being a sanctuary state but that is not sitting well with the very loud special interest groups.

What do you think?
There were talks among Quincy's city councillor a few months back if it was plausible to open a debate here in Quincy to see if there was any support to declare the city a sanctuary city. I am so glad that only one or two city councillors even wanted to entertain such an idea. It has no traction here in Quincy and I am really glad. I am usually very liberal, but on the issue of illegal immigration, we should do all we can to send them back, especially those who are criminals. it's basic common sense.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Believe it or not, Ipswich has just declared itself a sanctuary city. It's not even a city, just a small town. How stupid can they get? What hypocrites some people are to allow unknown people to pour in and use everything we have for free and yet our own elderly and poor can't get decent housing and services.

This "pc" stuff has gone way too far. I HATE Trump but I do like obeying laws and treating people fairly. Americans are not being treated fairly if preferential treatment is being given to lawbreakers. They break the law the minute the start being illegal.
You know, if the democrats will come back to a bit of sanity on issue such as immigration and others, I think they will win back the houses and the presidency. It's that the democrats have gone sooo far to the PC left that they have fallen off the table.

They can support human rights and the rights of the poor etc and still be supportive of law and order and deportation of illegals, especially the criminal elements.....agains, it's common sense.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
There were talks among Quincy's city councillor a few months back if it was plausible to open a debate here in Quincy to see if there was any support to declare the city a sanctuary city. I am so glad that only one or two city councillors even wanted to entertain such an idea. It has no traction here in Quincy and I am really glad. I am usually very liberal, but on the issue of illegal immigration, we should do all we can to send them back, especially those who are criminals. it's basic common sense.
Quincy has a very large Asian population, the vast majority of which are *LEGAL*. No one hates illegals more than LEGAL IMMIGRANTS (although, I'm not sure if that true for Mexican immigrants)

Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Has baker had an opinion on anything?
Yes, he despises conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
No one hates illegals more than LEGAL IMMIGRANTS (although, I'm not sure if that true for Mexican immigrants)
From experience, they can vary a lot. The more Americanized ones (ie. those who have served military, etc.) are as pro-enforcement as anyone. More recent arrivals (who may have been here illegally before or may have family illegally), tend to sympathize more with the illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You know, if the democrats will come back to a bit of sanity on issue such as immigration and others, I think they will win back the houses and the presidency. It's that the democrats have gone sooo far to the PC left that they have fallen off the table.

They can support human rights and the rights of the poor etc and still be supportive of law and order and deportation of illegals, especially the criminal elements.....agains, it's common sense.
To me sanctuary cities/states are as un-American as it gets. Once upon a time, it was common practice for federal/state/local law enforcement agencies to have separate agendas and to not talk to each other. Of course this was even true between the various federal agencies. Then 9/11 happened. IT changed everything about law enforcement in the United States. While yes they still all have different missions and responsibilities, that disaster demonstrated how vital it is for them to all share information and intelligence with each other (and in a timely fashion as well). So while the Lawrence Police may have a very different job than ICE, at the end of the day they are all there to make this country safe for all. They MUST work together if they are to achieve this. Prior to 09/11/2001, we didn't know any better. Now we do, we learned our lesson. Apparently the PC liberals still haven't.

Last edited by massnative71; 06-12-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Trump will be deciding who gets money for infrastructure projects, guess who's going to get federal funding and who won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts