Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,688 times

Advertisements

Hi! Hubby and I are looking to move pending job opportunity in Boston area. In the meantime, I have been exploring (online) the different areas all directions around Boston for potential places to live. Of course the Cape has everything I love - the look, access to water (we love both lakes and ocean) but I don't want him spending hours on the road each day to commute. His current commute (Charlotte NC) is hour each way driving- so he'd be comfortable with that (although nervous about traffic being worse than what he deals with now) and the train would be a great option for him. Does this exist? Would love to hear opinions - Sandwich had my eye (since just North of Cape area) but commute comes into question - what works for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 03:51 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Sandwich is on the Cape but you could. commute from Plymouth.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
What's your budget? A town like Duxbury or Marshfield would be "Cape-like" but with a better commute to Boston.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Sandwich is on the Cape but you could. commute from Plymouth.
Is it the kind of commute that would be miserable?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What's your budget? A town like Duxbury or Marshfield would be "Cape-like" but with a better commute to Boston.
I recognize that overall cost of living is significantly higher than our current location -but I think we were hoping to stay under 500k (~2k).

Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarkis View Post
Is it the kind of commute that would be miserable?
5 days a week? Absolutely, unless you hit the road by 5 am and 2 pm on the way home.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Don't know why anyone would willingly subject themselves to a commute that bad (Sandwich to Boston). You're lucky if that takes 2 hours during rush hour.

You could look at situate.

You could even look at something along cape ann (different but beautiful). There are great beaches there, and you could look at a place somewhere near the Newburyport/Rockport line. Beverly would fit your budget. Also a place like Ipswich had beautiful beaches like the cape and you could take the train in.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Most people I know from the Cape who work in Boston don't work a 5 day work week (medical professionals), have a pied-a terre-in the city, work a job with shifts that allow them drive or take the bus at off hours (higher ed, medical professionals), and/or are able to work from home some days. Few seem to work a M-F, 9-5 job and commute daily.

You also need to consider the commuting costs. Gas on CC and the SS is a lot more expensive than it is in CLT and parking fees are outrageous.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM

712 posts, read 530,715 times
It's not just the mileage, but the traffic(and 60 miles each way even with no traffic is a ridiculous commute)

The traffic going into boston from the southeast expressway is a parking lot at all hours and even if you left at 5am you'd still hit traffic from braintree/weymouth area into boston. You'd have to leave at around 4:00 am to beat the traffic and be there around 1 hour 5 minutes. Leaving at 5am would still be around 1:30 to 1:40 minutes. Leaving at rush hour can be as long as 2 1/2 hours. And goo luck leaving at 5pm from boston on a summer friday commuting home to the cape. lol This is total insanity. With that commute you won't be enjoying the ocean on the cape. You'll be on the road and then be too tired to do anything else and go to bed. Just go to the cape on the weekends if you want to work in boston. It will be a Lot less driving and you'll probably enjoy yourself when you actually do visit the cape more since it will feel more special when you visiting instead living there.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 PM

11 posts, read 12,767 times
I know someone that commuted from Sandwich to Boston, 5 days a week. He would get up at 4:30am to make the drive. It was awful. Don't do it!!! It's not worth it. Look at some of the towns on the South Shore instead, and take the Greenbush commuter rail into Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts