Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
In real life, Simon Pearce is about 5 min past the Country Store.

So about 20 minutes of drive/walk time from getting off I-89 to getting back on I-89. I don't see how you could get from I-89 to Simon Pearce, eat, and get back on I-89 in much less than an hour even sitting at the bar. The exit is mile 3 and the Burlington exit is mile 89. I don't see how that makes sense for someone looking for a quick but good food stop between Boston and Burlington. I've eaten at Simon Pearce many times over the years. It's not that kind of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So about 20 minutes of drive/walk time from getting off I-89 to getting back on I-89. I don't see how you could get from I-89 to Simon Pearce, eat, and get back on I-89 in much less than an hour even sitting at the bar. The exit is mile 3 and the Burlington exit is mile 89. I don't see how that makes sense for someone looking for a quick but good food stop between Boston and Burlington.
First it was 30 minutes, now down to 20 (which yeah it's not even that), and you're quibbling because 90 minutes from Burlington is too close to stop. The place you suggested 1 mile closer makes sense but this doesn't? Keep reaching.

If you read my post rather than trying to be the thread police, you would understand that I qualified that it wasn't fast food, or even something I primarily recommended for the food. There isn't much worthy between Boston and Burlington so maybe giving the OP some alternatives make sense. Sorry it didn't meet Geoff's posting guidelines. At last I'm not throwing out erroneous information in an attempt to make myself look an authority.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
This is my favorite thread here now, since I am driving between Boston-Waitsfield at least once per month. I love all the suggestions.

A few comments:

1) Absolutely agree with Big Fatty's BBQ. Very good. Grab a 4-pack across the parking lot at River Roost if you like beer.
2) Al's Fries is great. It's near Burlington though, so it's not a good in-between stop.
3) Heady is the trendstarter, but it has been surpassed (I think Treehouse and Trillium crank out better variations of the style regularly, and other local breweries can rival it).
4) Agree re: the decline of Pro Pig. It's gone downhill quite a bit. But it's still good. I just think you can do better in the area. For food, Bluestone around the corner is much better. That spot next door (most recently, Allium) has a hard time staying open. I'm going to go try the new Lawson's tap room in Waitsfield next weekend.

My suggestions:
I love the Gyro Spot in Manchester, NH. Quick, affordable, and delicious. Not too far out of the way (parking on the street isn't hard). Also in Manchester, Mr. Mac's (Mac and Cheese) is great.

Worthy Burger in Royalton is good. Not fast though.

Previously mentioned, but Bluestone in Waterbury is good. Sit at the bar, or even call in your order ahead of time if you want it fast. I'd recommend the poutine, or even just the fries with garlic dipping sauce. Any of the pizzas are good.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I can't wait to hit the Lawson's spot.

Is the Allium in Waterbury related to the Allium in Great Barrington? I liked that place.

Zenbarn in Waitsfield was by best meal of my last camping trip in the area.

And I think I'm now mostly going to Stowe for breakfasts when up there for the Butlers Pantry. The breakfast options in Waterbury are really lacking.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Is the Allium in Waterbury related to the Allium in Great Barrington? I liked that place.

Zenbarn in Waitsfield was by best meal of my last camping trip in the area.

And I think I'm now mostly going to Stowe for breakfasts when up there for the Butlers Pantry. The breakfast options in Waterbury are really lacking.
I don't know if they're related. I don't think so. I never got a chance to try it (nor have I been to Allium in Great Barrington) as it only lasted about 9 months. They didn't even last long enough to get a single summer season under their belts (opened in Sept/Oct of '17, closed in June of '18).

I had never heard of Zenbarn. It looks great! I'll have to check out the Butlers Pantry as well. I'm usually at my girlfriend's family's place in Waitsfield and we cook breakfast so it's not something we seek out all that often.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I do not get that love for Focal, but I dislike Pale Ales in general. I rarely drink even single IPAs anymore.

And yes, Tree House is king.

River Roost and Foam both make some great ones. I'll take double or triple sunshine anyday... Sip isn't Lawsons.

HF, well, I actually love their stouts, but their IPAs, not so much.
Focal is an IPA that I personally I prefer to Heady. I actually think the Alchemist still creates a very unique and different beer. Treehouse, Trillium, Frost, Upper Pass and the others are different - more cloudy, tropical, sediment at the bottom kind of beers. Still excellent, but not really all that similar to Heady or Focal if you try them side by side. IMO I would put HF Abner,TH Julius and Focal at the top though all very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts