Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 PM

18,169 posts, read 9,486,231 times

Advertisements

One debate in and it's clear to me she easily wins the Democratic primary. Bernie and Biden are going to be wasting their time.

The people want to see Warren vs Trump, and that's exactly what they're going to get.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 AM

5,805 posts, read 5,142,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
One debate in and it's clear to me she easily wins the Democratic primary. Bernie and Biden are going to be wasting their time.

The people want to see Warren vs Trump, and that's exactly what they're going to get.
Trump is an idiot but warren has way too many baggage to be able to win. I like her a lot better than Hillary but I don’t think she can win against trump. In fact, I don’t really see anyone in th dem lineup that’s all that compelling. They are either old white men, or old social justice warriors with too far left war cries, or young ones with left field lunacy. The only person I like is Pete but he can’t win either.

It’s the old curse. Dems can rule but they can’t win, repigs can win but they know notihin* about running the country.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,821,840 times
She checks all the boxes for me but she will be facing an uphill battle. Would the average American want to have a beer with her? Probably not, and surprisingly (sadly?) enough this is a huge component to how many people vote. What you really want is someone who is versed in policy, but platitudes and populism get you votes.

I hope bernie isn't selfish and drops out more expediently than last time, but Biden will need to flub pretty hard to lose his edge.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:00 AM

24,721 posts, read 17,462,249 times
I think Warren started strong early in the debate but as usual didn't really say anything of substance beyond her usual talking points that she can recite in her sleep. By the end of the debate it seemed like she was looking for Deval Patrick to hide behind.

I don't think she has a chance. I cannot imagine her standing up to the likes of Putin or dealing with Iran without wilting like a hot house flower.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:22 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,166,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think Warren started strong early in the debate but as usual didn't really say anything of substance beyond her usual talking points that she can recite in her sleep. By the end of the debate it seemed like she was looking for Deval Patrick to hide behind.

I don't think she has a chance. I cannot imagine her standing up to the likes of Putin or dealing with Iran without wilting like a hot house flower.
I can imagine her standing ground better than our current POTUS, who has done little on this front.

I think she has the rhetoric and policies to win appeal in critical swing states, but her oration combined with years of GOP hit-pieces really undermines her momentum/appeal.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-27-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post

I hope bernie isn't selfish and drops out more expediently than last time, but Biden will need to flub pretty hard to lose his edge.
Bernie already achieved policy position changes by the Dems - he needs to be satisfied by this and cut loose. The Bernie-bro fever died with this election cycle.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM

13,018 posts, read 22,208,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

I think she has the rhetoric and policies to win appeal in critical wing states, but her oration combined with years of GOP hit-pieces really undermines her momentum/appeal.
This is a pretty good synopsis. Honestly, my biggest concern after last night was simply messaging. I may be a bit out of touch here, but I question the approach the candidates are taking when talking about the economy (the topic which I think will determine the election). I work in a white collar position in Boston, so I'm definitely in the coastal "bubble" and am probably out of touch, but I think the economy is doing well. I certainly don't credit this president (or any president) for the strong economy, but it's hard not to look around and see that things are going as well as they have been since the crash in 2007.

So I would hope that Warren, and others, have some real legs to stand on when they talk about the economy not working for the average person. Otherwise, it's a bad strategy. If the economy is working for that tiny but crucial group of swing state voters, that stance has little weight. It'd be better to talk about the losses on tax returns due to the new tax changes, the growing disparities in pay between high level execs and workers (Warren touched on this, but too generally), the warning signs of instability in the current economy, the hurt that some of the tariffs have put on the economy, etc. The big economic picture is good right now (and that benefits Trump), so if you're a candidate trying to claim it's not as good as it seems, you have to have real substance to back up those claims and you need to make sure those claims resonate with the voters that count.

As an aside, I was happy to see that far less time was spent Trump bashing than I expected. That gets the choir riled up, but it doesn't do anything to win over the voters you need to win the presidency.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:45 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,577,011 times
Warren had alot of help from MSNBC last nite. Amazing how many chances the moderators gave her to answer questions compared to everyone else. Wasnt an accident her podium was in the center of the pack. Media bias at its finest.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So I would hope that Warren, and others, have some real legs to stand on when they talk about the economy not working for the average person.
She's been hammering this point from the very beginning and, interestingly, it's where her and Trump (and Bernie) have significant overlap ... that was, before Trump abandoned this position to become the rate-cut bull market champion he railed against during his POTUS run.

I do think the position does have political legs, even though we're 10 years removed from the Occupy movement. The core problems haven't changed - the economy isn't universally strong, it's inflated for those at the top of the income/wealth divide.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 3,755,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is a pretty good synopsis. Honestly, my biggest concern after last night was simply messaging. I may be a bit out of touch here, but I question the approach the candidates are taking when talking about the economy (the topic which I think will determine the election). I work in a white collar position in Boston, so I'm definitely in the coastal "bubble" and am probably out of touch, but I think the economy is doing well. I certainly don't credit this president (or any president) for the strong economy, but it's hard not to look around and see that things are going as well as they have been since the crash in 2007.

So I would hope that Warren, and others, have some real legs to stand on when they talk about the economy not working for the average person. Otherwise, it's a bad strategy. If the economy is working for that tiny but crucial group of swing state voters, that stance has little weight. It'd be better to talk about the losses on tax returns due to the new tax changes, the growing disparities in pay between high level execs and workers (Warren touched on this, but too generally), the warning signs of instability in the current economy, the hurt that some of the tariffs have put on the economy, etc. The big economic picture is good right now (and that benefits Trump), so if you're a candidate trying to claim it's not as good as it seems, you have to have real substance to back up those claims and you need to make sure those claims resonate with the voters that count.

As an aside, I was happy to see that far less time was spent Trump bashing than I expected. That gets the choir riled up, but it doesn't do anything to win over the voters you need to win the presidency.
This issue, though, is why we have Trump in the first place. The economy was also doing pretty well back in 2016, but huge segments of people have been left out - especially in places like western PA, OH, MI and WI. Those people who were left out decided they had nothing to lose. They're not doing any better now, and some of them aren't going to vote for Trump again. (Some have been brainwashed and joined the Trump cult and there's no reaching them, anyway, no matter what happens.)

I thought Warren did quite well last night. I'm warming to her as the candidate -- I really, really like her, and if I myself could hand select the next President, she might very well be the one I'd pick. My concern has always been about her political charisma (or lack thereof) and her ability to win. But she's doing pretty well and just might be able to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts