Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
mosquitos fly. Just make sure you don't have standing water laying around. There's not much more you can do.
And fly 1-3 miles depending on wind conditions, albeit at 1 mph.

As you suggest, remove standing water + avoid dusk/dawn, use DEET during these hours or when in shaded wet areas, and leverage targeted prevention like the Eradicator sticks (which work but are both cheaper and less environmentally impactful than spraying.

This said, in Worcester county it appears as though the state spraying, with some assistance from an early frost, has really driven down population numbers. I was tossing a ball for the dog last evening at dusk and did not encounter a single mosquito, which is not the status quo seeing as I abutt the Wachusett watershed. This said, the bats were out eating something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
And fly 1-3 miles depending on wind conditions, albeit at 1 mph.

As you suggest, remove standing water + avoid dusk/dawn, use DEET during these hours or when in shaded wet areas, and leverage targeted prevention like the Eradicator sticks (which work but are both cheaper and less environmentally impactful than spraying.

Kind-a rough on the bee population. Why not just dump Agent Orange from airplanes and be done with it?

We have been using screened-in areas at dusk. We're bicycles instead of walking. The beach fortunately doesn't have mosquitoes.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
I find it amazing that I see so many people out at dusk.

Personally I go right into my house at all times. Even if you don't die from EEE you can have your life radically altered. Why for 6 weeks or so until it gets cold.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I find it amazing that I see so many people out at dusk.

Personally I go right into my house at all times. Even if you don't die from EEE you can have your life radically altered. Why for 6 weeks or so until it gets cold.
Some people except that life is terminal regardless of precautions and the EEE risk is, statistically speaking, low if you're a healthy adult.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:34 AM

17,744 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Some people except that life is terminal regardless of precautions and the EEE risk is, statistically speaking, low if you're a healthy adult.
accept

Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Is it worth paying for a company like Mosquito Squad to spray your yard? The majority of our backyard are woods, would they spray there or would it even make a difference?
You would want to spray around the perimeters of standing water, which is where mosquitos lay their eggs. When it rains, the water rises and the eggs hatch. The other part of the problem is the birds which we cannot control. Infected mosquitos bite the birds, the birds fly into other towns and counties, and pass on the infected blood to mosquitos in that area. Hopefully the first frost comes soon.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
accept
No one warned me having an infant, while trying to maintain existing expectations of career and house renovations, would be like putting my brain in a blender.

Or maybe I have EEE. If so, I could use a very long nap.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
Wow scary. Thankfully there aren't many mosquitoes in the 'Ville.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:18 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Exactly.

How many deaths in MA are there yearly from EEE? 5-10 or so? How many traffic accidents?

Now, with that said, i'm not going to go stand around next to a swamp at 6PM in an area deemed a high risk, just like I wouldn't drive down the opposite side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts