Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one here who likes the South Coast? Fall River area is actually quite nice outside the run down part in the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Brockton
Fall River
New Bedford
Lowell
Lawrence
Fitchburg
Springfield
Holyoke
Dorchester
Roxbury
Framingham

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my door unlocked in any of those places.
Roxbury and Dorchester are Boston neighborhoods. There are plenty of places in Boston where most people would be happy to live assuming they can afford it. Tom Brady’s old Beacon Street townhouse penthouse condo would do. 5,300 square feet on three floors with the killer views.

Fall River? Highland Ave has some nice neighborhoods.

New Bedford? The west end near Buttonwood Park is fine. I know college profs and lawyers who live there.

I already mentioned Lawrence over the line from the Andover Country Club up-thread.

The “almost Easton” part of Brockton west of 24 has some OK residential neighborhoods.

Holyoke west of 91 near the golf course is a nice place to live.

If you don’t have to use the school system, all those places have neighborhoods where you don’t need bars on your windows. It won’t be a prestigious address but you won’t have safety issues.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Blackstone would be one of my least favorite towns to live in. It just feels like it is full of dark secrets. It isn't close enough to Providence, Worcester or Boston to be within any of those metros. It doesn't really have any vibrant exurban or suburban towns nearby either. Nor does it have the mountains or a great beach.

But for having Lowell close-by with some arts and dining scene, Tewksbury would be a close second for similar reasons.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:22 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Wellesley. Unless you like snob central.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:32 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
OK so for those of us who kept our responses on point with the initial question, so far we have:

Lawrence: 2
Ware: 2
North Adams: 1
Cambridge: 1
Blackstone: 1
Wellesley: 1

Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Err... wasn't there just a double homicide? There are literally homeless people yelling at themselves walking on the downtown.

I don't even see that in Fitchburg.
Yea including those two. Those are the 2nd and 3rd homicide in the past 3/4 months.

But those three homicides are the first in town in 11 years. Population 70k....

Old 01-19-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Blackstone would be one of my least favorite towns to live in. It just feels like it is full of dark secrets.
Are you referring to that house of horrors where those neglected kids were found dead and the mother got locked up, or is there more to it than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Am I the only one here who likes the South Coast? Fall River area is actually quite nice outside the run down part in the city.
No I like the South Coast too, if I had to pick a favorite Westport would be one of my top finalists.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:47 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
For some people it doesn’t matter if there are nice neighborhoods.

If city politics and schools and social issues re gonna be defined by inner city issues and you’ll run into hoodboogers whenever you have to do things in town and the aesthetics get ugly quickly people are always gonna wanna live somewhere else. People don’t like knowing-for fact, at least-gang members are in town.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For some people it doesn’t matter if there are nice neighborhoods.

If city politics and schools and social issues re gonna be defined by inner city issues and you’ll run into hoodboogers whenever you have to do things in town and the aesthetics get ugly quickly people are always gonna wanna live somewhere else. People don’t like knowing-for fact, at least-gang members are in town.
Plus just because it's one's "least favorite" doesn't mean it has no nice neighborhoods, that wasn't the question. The proportion of ghetto can often affect the vibe of a whole city/town in a very negative sense in relation to cities like Worcester, Lowell, and New Bedford that while having significant problems as well; also have an ample amount of healthy/viable areas (as well as amenities and cultural attractions) to counter that. Lawrence, Chelsea, (or maybe Ware?), not so much.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:59 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But those three homicides are the first in town in 11 years. Population 70k....
Oh ok then. Where murders happen other crime is happening. Plus, just visit downtown during the day. You will be yelled at my a mentally ill person talking to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts