Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 10,143 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're moving to the area and looking to buy. 4 bed/2.5bath, $750k. Could go higher but feel we don't need to in this area.

Our priorities are decent public schools, reasonable South Station Commuter rail station access, and an established downtown with things to do (parks, shops, restaurants). We have kids who are still little but getting involved in town sports, swimming lessons etc and are hoping to buy somewhere with good activities and community for kids.

We've been referred to Westborough, Shrewsbury and Southborough so far. Could anyone offer a sense of which of these best fit our needs? Anywhere else we should be considering? Does Northborough make any sense?

We're looking to stay east of Worcester, and north of the Mass pike so places like Grafton and Hopkinton are less appealing, but we could consider it if it's a great fit otherwise.

Thanks!

Last edited by chopian; 02-04-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 02:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Keep in mind that the Worcester/Framingham line is going to suffer more delays over the next few years. The construction of the new high rise over South Station and the addition of turn-styles will affect all the South Station trains. Further, the straightening of the Pike will require the Worcester line to drop down to one track through that area for a few years and may result in delays and longer trips.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
If your kids are very into swimming, Hopkinton might be worth a look. A huge new family YMCA is in the works in Ashland, close to the Hopkinton border. There is also a family outdoor center in Hopkinton, with outdoor pools. It is also a bit more connected to Boston than Westboro, Northboro, Shrewsbury. Westboro, Northboro, Shrewsbury are really suburbs of Worcester not Boston. Grafton has a more rural feel than any of the other towns mentioned.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Keep in mind that the Worcester/Framingham line is going to suffer more delays over the next few years. The construction of the new high rise over South Station and the addition of turn-styles will affect all the South Station trains. Further, the straightening of the Pike will require the Worcester line to drop down to one track through that area for a few years and may result in delays and longer trips.
I realize this. It’s unfortunate, but I assumed it would be easier than targeting Littleton/Acton and doing the North Station to South Station walk. Maybe I assumed incorrectly?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopian View Post
I realize this. It’s unfortunate, but I assumed it would be easier than targeting Littleton/Acton and doing the North Station to South Station walk. Maybe I assumed incorrectly?
Is there a specific reason for being near Worcester? You might be able to find what you are looking for on some of the other transit lines that would avoid the Pike construction and even with a NS to SS trip, be a shorter trip. Southborough to SS is about an hour in the AM.

There are options north of Boston that can you have to NS in 30-35 minutes but it's going to be hard to find a 4 BR at $750K if you are looking for a newer starter castle colonial.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Is there a specific reason for being near Worcester? You might be able to find what you are looking for on some of the other transit lines that would avoid the Pike construction and even with a NS to SS trip, be a shorter trip. Southborough to SS is about an hour in the AM.

There are options north of Boston that can you have to NS in 30-35 minutes but it's going to be hard to find a 4 BR at $750K if you are looking for a newer starter castle colonial.
Yes- I will be commuting to Worcester, and my husband will be working from home with 1-2 days a week in the Seaport.

As you mention, we are easily priced out of options closer to Boston, so might as well make the Worcester commute easy.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 AM

Got it. With Worcester as a daily commute and only a couple of days to the Seaport, then your plan makes sense.

Have you considered Worcester itself? You can get into great house in the Forest Grove area off of Salisbury St. area for way under your budget. With the savings, you could opt for private school for the kids.

Here's a new construction for $550K.

Last edited by robr2; 02-05-2020 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-05-2020, 05:59 AM

137 posts, read 149,705 times
I personally do not like the feel/look of Shrewsbury but that is a personal opinion. I hear the schools are really good.
I would look into Northborough and Westborough but I would probably want Southborough for a more prestigious town (in my opinion) and closer to Boston. Still a decent commute to Worcester.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
I personally do not like the feel/look of Shrewsbury but that is a personal opinion. I hear the schools are really good.
I would look into Northborough and Westborough but I would probably want Southborough for a more prestigious town (in my opinion) and closer to Boston. Still a decent commute to Worcester.
OP stressed the desire to have a downtown with shops, park, etc. In that belt, I think Westborough is the only one that has any type of core at all. So of that group, that probably would be the best fit.

OP, Natick is your best bet. Proper core, functional, well situated for inbound and outbound commute. Maybe look in Medfield if you want something a bit more "quaint", small town. Because the commute for your husband is only two days a week, Medfield would be fine.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:45 AM

73 posts, read 61,994 times
Why not Ashland? Has a commuter rail stop, easy access to route 9 and/or Pike. New YMCA coming next to area and a downtown that has some things (restaurants). $750k will get you whatever you want in town and offer you proximity to state parks. Not over priced like Hopkinton but still good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts