Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

There's a 3D camera that has been used in the real estate at agencies for a while now. I'm not saying a totally replacing the open house but I've heard about people raving about it.

https://matterport.com/

the days of Simply Having regular photos from a smartphone are starting to decline. photography makes a huge difference as not everybody knows how to take a good photo let alone Express how something is in a 3D manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 05:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There's a 3D camera that has been used in the real estate at agencies for a while now. I'm not saying a totally replacing the open house but I've heard about people raving about it.

https://matterport.com/

the days of Simply Having regular photos from a smartphone are starting to decline. photography makes a huge difference as not everybody knows how to take a good photo let alone Express how something is in a 3D manner.
Matterport is pretty cool. It's very much like walking through the house and you're in total control of what you're looking at and where in the room/house you go. You can even go right up to the window and get a sense of the view. The cameras you need to make this happen cost thousands of dollars plus you need to have a subscription with Matterport to make it work. Not a 100% replacement for an in person showing but a much better substitute than what we've been able to offer in the past.

If a real estate agent walks into your house and tells you they're going to take listing photos with their smartphone you should fire them on the spot. With so much of the initial decision making process happening online, photos are one of the most critical part of the marketing plan. Marketing studies have shown that consumers spend far more time looking at photos online than they do on any of the text.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:13 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
MikePRU - I still see horrible photos that accompany listings. Wondering how can that even happen... Is it the realtors fault or the sellers? You are right - if the pics don't appeal to me, I'm not even going to look in person, let alone consider an offer.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
MikePRU - I still see horrible photos that accompany listings. Wondering how can that even happen... Is it the realtors fault or the sellers? You are right - if the pics don't appeal to me, I'm not even going to look in person, let alone consider an offer.
I notice I never really see really crappy photos on listings of desirable houses. I figure the houses for most of those listings are pieces of crap and the owner/realtor know their pieces of crap. So they figure they’ll take a few photos, perhaps creatively leave out some stuff, then hope they get lucky and sell it. Maybe some rich out of state sucker looking for a cheap investment.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I notice I never really see really crappy photos on listings of desirable houses. I figure the houses for most of those listings are pieces of crap and the owner/realtor know their pieces of crap. So they figure they’ll take a few photos, perhaps creatively leave out some stuff, then hope they get lucky and sell it. Maybe some rich out of state sucker looking for a cheap investment.
I think it matters most for "armchair lookers" or people who might move, but have no timeline to do so. But if you really have to move, I'd think you'd look at all the listings that were available that fit your parameters. When we moved from out of state, no matter what the pics looked like, we looked at all the houses in our price range that were in the towns we were interested in.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Both. It's the agent's fault for doing a bad job and it's the seller's fault for hiring a bad agent and allowing them to do a bad job. I look at the agent-client relationship as a team. You either succeed together or you fail together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I see fewer and fewer amateur photos on higher end listings. Just a few years ago I was one of the only agents in Needham using professional quality photos. So, it's changed a lot in a short time. I still see some pretty poor photos of expensive houses though. It's just a lot less common.

I hate when someone selectively photographs a house. Oh! Let's show the new kitchen but no photo of the original 1960's bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I think it matters most for "armchair lookers" or people who might move, but have no timeline to do so. But if you really have to move, I'd think you'd look at all the listings that were available that fit your parameters. When we moved from out of state, no matter what the pics looked like, we looked at all the houses in our price range that were in the towns we were interested in.
If you're moving here and you have one weekend to find a house you look at everything. If you live here and can see houses anytime you want, chances are you'll skip the house that doesn't look good online.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
I will say that I am seeing some companies do "temporary" paycuts instead of doing layoffs. I don't know if that would be enough to derail a mortgage application like a layoff would but you would think that would dissuade people from buying.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:08 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I will say that I am seeing some companies do "temporary" paycuts instead of doing layoffs. I don't know if that would be enough to derail a mortgage application like a layoff would but you would think that would dissuade people from buying.
https://themarketear.com/images/9544...53991e9bc948b6

Your intuition is not necessarily wrong. Granted, this is national data and buyers in the MA market tend to be a bit more "qualified" - greater Boston anyway.

I still anticipate the equity markets will retest lows, particularly if states prolong isolation measures and fumble through the return to "normal". I think a retest, if it does happen, will shatter sentiment. Lots of folks still anticipate a V-recovery and the likes of Goldman and JP climbing "all time highs next year" is a great indicator of the opposite (IMO).

Old 04-14-2020, 06:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Natick/2-I.../home/11657022

How about this one? 610k for a house on the bad side of Natick that needs work. Says it's Lender Owned too. Might be workable for a Flipper if the work is just superficial stuff, but given the location the price would need to come down quite a bit more I would think to make it work.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Natick/2-I.../home/11657022

How about this one? 610k for a house on the bad side of Natick that needs work. Says it's Lender Owned too. Might be workable for a Flipper if the work is just superficial stuff, but given the location the price would need to come down quite a bit more I would think to make it work.
Is the bad part of Natick the next Somerville? Only time will tell.

Well that and common sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts