Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 11:09 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,737,535 times

Advertisements

Last year the economy is booming and contractors charged whatever they wanted because people would pay it. Has anyone seen prices come back to reality yet?

We just had trees removed from our backyard which I felt was a reasonable cost - $5000 for 6 big trees and a bunch of little ones. We're shopping for landscapers to level the yard, put in grass, remove an old wood deck and replace with stone pavers and stone retaining wall.

The first estimate we got was around $40,000. I nearly had a heart attack even though I kind of expected it. I guess prices have not changed yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 12:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Last year the economy is booming and contractors charged whatever they wanted because people would pay it. Has anyone seen prices come back to reality yet?

We just had trees removed from our backyard which I felt was a reasonable cost - $5000 for 6 big trees and a bunch of little ones. We're shopping for landscapers to level the yard, put in grass, remove an old wood deck and replace with stone pavers and stone retaining wall.

The first estimate we got was around $40,000. I nearly had a heart attack even though I kind of expected it. I guess prices have not changed yet?
The good ones in my network were more or less booked out through fall. Unless a number of clients reconsider, I don't see demand dropping until (if) there is a sustained Q3/Q4 recession. Not sure that's a trade I'm looking to make, but it might be a reality for both contractors and clients.

Even during the "great recession", top tier contractors absorbed a significant amount of the remaining work. The middling contractors were the ones who got a bit desperate, as were the residential developers and architects.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
It’s probably worse now because so many low paid workers are collecting their extra $600/week. I had a tree come down three weeks ago in the 65 mph wind storm. It took the local tree guy 2 weeks to get enough crew to do a few jobs and I suspect he probably had to pay them cash.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:53 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s probably worse now because so many low paid workers are collecting their extra $600/week. I had a tree come down three weeks ago in the 65 mph wind storm. It took the local tree guy 2 weeks to get enough crew to do a few jobs and I suspect he probably had to pay them cash.
Are you saying contractors are probably charging more now cause their usual employees would rather collect unemployment?

Homeowners must still have a lot of money if they can afford these 5 figure expenses.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,862 times
The prices quoted are products of living in a high COL area.

I paid $6 a square foot for poured concrete last week, and I considered that expensive. But nothing like pavers.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:03 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Once the number of cases are reduced i wonder if prices could spike due to people rushing to complete projects which were delayed... or everyone wanting to renovate a home office (attic, basement)

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I haven't noticed any price drop with contractors. My neighbor has been trying to get someone to take down some bushes and do a kitchen and pricing has been consistent with what was there before. Everyone is booked. I'm trying to find someone to do new deck stairs for my parents and running into schedules pushed out to July/Aug.

I'm finding difficulty completing my own projects because I can't get materials, or they are 4-5 weeks out. No price cuts noticed and going to my local home improvement store is a **** show. I needed welding gas for another project, and was told local shops were only dealing with commercial accounts right now. Had to order a bottle in from AZ.

Even things like getting mulch and loom delivered have been a hassle due to scheduling and supply shortages. I wanted to level my yard this spring, but looks like I missed the window. I'll have to do it this fall before grass growing season.

All around my neighborhood, contractors and landscapers are still busy at work. Other than everyone being home, it's been a typical busy spring for getting yard and house work done.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-11-2020 at 07:24 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Covid-19 is lowering the amount of people that can work in close proximity to each other which means that there are many businesses that are not running efficiently. Meat prices are going up and up because slaughterhouse is not produce as much.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...ronavirus.html

“What cost me $2 last week cost me $4 this week and $5 next week,” Vallides said. “A bottom round flat we use for stew beef and cube steak? Before it cost me $2.25 a pound. Now on Monday, it’s $5.49 a pound and it’ll be $6.05 on the 18th.”

That's a huge increase. Some of this is going to be a surge. I've been reading about fair amount of people that really have not gone out and have not use their cars and as a result after 2 months of letting them sit there they aren't starting. I can easily see mechanics charging more due to time alone because as things open up we're going to see a higher demand to fix cars.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:43 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I've been reading about fair amount of people that really have not gone out and have not use their cars and as a result after 2 months of letting them sit there they aren't starting. I can easily see mechanics charging more due to time alone because as things open up we're going to see a higher demand to fix cars.
I've jumpstarted and replaced batteries in a few of my relative's cars for that exact reason.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 AM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
i don't see any reduction in price or availability at least short term (through end of year). There was a huge backlog of work across all trades that is even more backed up now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: