Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:14 PM

717 posts, read 453,576 times

Advertisements

Potbelly sandwich works
Fuddruckers
Whole Foods
Bareburger

Pho Vietnamese
Peach wave
A dessert man and pap

A place with Italian ice , gelato,
a Viennese bakery
And Italian local cappuccino place

With water taxis on the CT River and the existing high rises overlooking this

A revitalized trolly system connecting MGM and then a rail to Boston

And a Massmutual Center all glowing over this skyline

Why is this not Springfield, Massachusetts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:49 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
A lack of industry and a legacy of white flight?

Old 06-28-2020, 04:18 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,324,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Potbelly sandwich works
Fuddruckers
Whole Foods
Bareburger

Pho Vietnamese
Peach wave
A dessert man and pap

A place with Italian ice , gelato,
a Viennese bakery
And Italian local cappuccino place

With water taxis on the CT River and the existing high rises overlooking this

A revitalized trolly system connecting MGM and then a rail to Boston

And a Massmutual Center all glowing over this skyline

Why is this not Springfield, Massachusetts?
If Fuddrucker’s, Potbelly, and a couple of ice cream joints are the headliners in the restaurant scene, you’ve found your reason why downtown Springfield isn’t more exciting.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Springfield used to have everything. Then they built malls in the outskirts and after that they tore the downtown buildings down. I belong to a page on FB where they show old pictures of Springfield and we talk about how it used to be, the stores, the big beautiful homes, the schools, etc.

People wanted new houses and big yards out in the suburbs so that's where they moved. Springfield used to have a great school system, a vibrant downtown, a wonderful park (at least that's still there), but every time they try to revitalize it, it fails. I don't know what it would take but it can never be as wonderful as it used to be. For one thing, the powers that be will never build rail to Boston. You have to go by bus.

I think there's been a history of corruption in the city government, maybe that's why nothing really gets accomplished. Twenty years ago my ex worked in Springfield, where he had lived his entire life, and he said there was Mafia all over the place. But that was supposed to be cleaned up. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I don't know. I don't go there now because I think it's probably too dangerous and there's not much left to go there for. A few of the restaurants are still there--the Red Rose Italian restaurant and The Student Prince for German food.

I don't know why Springfield hasn't made a comeback. The location is good and it used to be a nice place. If anyone has the answer/s let's hear it.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
I think Springfield's current population doesn't have the money to support nice restaurants/stores. If and when that changes, and the city starts to gentrify, you'll see them located there. The crime rate needs to fall.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:15 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know why Springfield hasn't made a comeback. The location is good and it used to be a nice place. If anyone has the answer/s let's hear it.
The location sucks. It's too far from Boston.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The location sucks. It's too far from Boston.
It has no appeal to promote a resurgence. Gentrification isn't going to happen. No appeal to young artists, or young techies. Crime rates change from demographic changes, and there is nothing to change that. Might be some minor fluctuations here and there, but thats it.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It has no appeal to promote a resurgence. Gentrification isn't going to happen. No appeal to young artists, or young techies. Crime rates change from demographic changes, and there is nothing to change that. Might be some minor fluctuations here and there, but thats it.
Probably so. Gentrification isn't going to happen because people don't even want to go to Springfield, let alone live there with the way it is now. Manufacturing is gone--no one makes Indian Motorcycles anymore, no need for the armory. No need for the beautiful department stores anymore. There are plenty of nice homes in the neighboring suburbs so there's no need to move there. Forest Park is about all there is left that's wonderful in Springfield.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
18.6% with college degrees. 28.6% poverty rate and that was before COVID-19. Staggeringly high single parent household rate and child poverty rate that perpetuates generational poverty. A dumping ground for Section 8 people displaced from a rapidly gentrifying Boston.

Without turning around the generational poverty problem, I don’t see how Springfield ever gentrifies. The labor force has no 21st century job skills so no employer needing skilled workers is going to locate there. 80% of 8th graders aren’t at grade level in math and English. Address that as the highest priority.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 AM

636 posts, read 707,203 times
I would not step foot in any city in the country. Cities are done. Over. "It's over Johnny!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo-ylNPXyE

Suburbs are on deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts