Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 05:36 PM

363 posts, read 514,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Most tire shops will put NEW tires on the rear, or ask you to sign a waiver. I've had this happen a few times.

Pretty good video here demonstrating this with a FWD car.
https://www.allstate.com/blog/new-tires-rear/
That's the exact opposite that tire shops did in Los Angeles- I had a jetta before this civic, and I'd replace two tires at a time, they'd take the old/newer front tires off, put them on the back, and put the brand new ones on the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 05:42 PM

363 posts, read 514,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
But not all . Mine came from the factory with summer tires - Imperial put all seasons on.

After those wore out in 30k, I went with summer and snows on steelies.

OP; I'll put what I put in your automotive post

Cause you said Boston Post Road and 495, I'm going to guess Northborough/Marlborough/Berlin/Hudson. Pretty hilly area! Get snow tires . Once I got stuck on Route 9 going up the hill from US-20 westbound. It's not much of a hill, but my Miata with old all seasons didn't have the grip to do anything but spin going up that hill.

Depending on the year of your car and you've got 16", smaller might or might not work - checking the spare might be quickest. The manual might have a section on snow tires and what size they suggest (Ford has a section for my Fiesta ST, but as I said, they put summer tires on at the factory).

Now are they absolutely necessary? No. I grew up in Michigan with all seasons (and summer tires on AWD sports cars). I've lived here for 8 years only only had snow tires for 3: otherwise I've had all seasons on FWD or all seasons on a Miata and a RWD Volvo. If you don't live on top of a hill, and only travel main roads you should be fine. When we get a couple feet of snow, you won't be going to work anyway! But snows will make driving in the winter much less white-knuckle.
Yes location is correct- and getting stuck on a hill sounds frightening asf. The car currently has new all-weather tires (less than 1000 miles on them). Driving here is already a white-knuckle experience lol. I already don't go out in the rain.
My Dad said stock up and prepare to not leave the apartment for long stretches of time (we're from the shore originally)

**and to others , I don't have a place to store tires, I live in a small apartment. Thanks again

Old 10-23-2020, 06:32 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
A FWD OEM setup, brake bias is almost all to the fronts. Weight distribution is usually around 60/40 too. The entire car is setup to understeer in almost all conditions. They are set up so basically the rear tires are there to hold the rear end up.

Front only snow tires are OK on FWD. Not great, but OK.
This. Depending on the vehicle, the brake bias might be even more severe. It's not uncommon for nose heavy FWD vehicles have a bias in the 80/20 range to avoid rear wheel lock under heavy braking.

If someone is severely budget strapped, front-only winters is an upgrade over all seasons aiding in both drive and braking traction. Someone doing this should anticipate more oversteer during braking under snow conditions and potentially more understeer under dry conditions. My old Mazdaspeed 3 actually used heavy rear brake bias to induce oversteer during initial braking/entry ... worked rather well.

Ideally, one uses snows on all four corners.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 10-23-2020 at 06:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2020, 07:07 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
**and to others , I don't have a place to store tires, I live in a small apartment. Thanks again
Tire shops will store tires for you. They will store the winter tires in the summer, and the regular tires in the winter. Their fees aren't too crazy either. If you ask around, this is pretty common

Old 10-24-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This. Depending on the vehicle, the brake bias might be even more severe. It's not uncommon for nose heavy FWD vehicles have a bias in the 80/20 range to avoid rear wheel lock under heavy braking.
I'm sorry but I disagree with this logic. Put crappy tires on the rear of any vehicle and even with a 100/0 brake bias you'll be swapping ends in a hurry in slick situations.

That rear end is going to want to go left or right under hard braking, especially if you are not going perfectly straight. You are depending on the tire grip to keep it in line with the front. If they don’t have adequate grip, they will lose traction. This is less about braking grip and more about lateral traction. Obviously this becomes more dramatic the worse the rear tires are, but if you’ve ever put food trays under the rear tires of a fwd car, it doesn’t take much to whip the rear around with no grip in the rear.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-24-2020 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
If I lived in places in western MA like Otis, Blandford, Sandisfield, et cet., with lots of toboggan-worthy country roads, I'd want snow tires. But they are not needed in eastern MA. (Even in the Terrible Awful of 2015.)

Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
What no one mentions ABS? I think it's been mandatory since 2013 at least in the US but I'd recommend viewing videos on what breaking with ABS is like on snow or ice. It's different. ABS allows you to break and steer. If you have an older car I'd recommend getting it it put in.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I disagree with this logic. Put crappy tires on the rear of any vehicle and even with a 100/0 brake bias you'll be swapping ends in a hurry in slick situations.

That rear end is going to want to go left or right under hard braking, especially if you are not going perfectly straight. You are depending on the tire grip to keep it in line with the front. If they don’t have adequate grip, they will lose traction. This is less about braking grip and more about lateral traction. Obviously this becomes more dramatic the worse the rear tires are, but if you’ve ever put food trays under the rear tires of a fwd car, it doesn’t take much to whip the rear around with no grip in the rear.
Yep. This.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:33 AM

875 posts, read 663,643 times
[quote=5pyg1a55;59481368]
Quote:

Thanks you all, for all for all this info- It is much appreciated. No such thing as too much info

So I am in a position where -if I had to- I could stay indoors for several days in an emergency. The car has front wheel drive. Is it possible to 'get away with' putting snow tires just on the fronts?

You will be fine with your current set-up because:
- You have a front wheel drive car with new (1,000 miles) decent brand (Michelin) all seasons.
- You can hunker down in a storm
- You live in a condo so your driveway will be plowed (I am assuming)

MAholes that think AWD means all wheel stop will be a greater danger.

However, if you are nervous, get a separate set of wheels/snow tires as others have said. Tire shops will store them for you and swap them out each season for a fee. It is not dead money as you are also extending the life of your current tires and you can flip them for sale online if your ever move out of the area.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What no one mentions ABS? I think it's been mandatory since 2013 at least in the US but I'd recommend viewing videos on what breaking with ABS is like on snow or ice. It's different. ABS allows you to break and steer. If you have an older car I'd recommend getting it it put in.

Not exactly something the average person, or even mechanic, can do. It's a very difficult retrofit, and that's coming from someone who has put ABS in an older vehicle that never had it.

The ABS system would still be dependent on the tires grip. I'm sure we've all been there driving in the snow and needing to come to a sudden stop and having that ABS chattering away while you are gripping the wheel hoping you'll stop in time. It has it's pros and cons.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-26-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts