Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 11:47 AM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I was driving north on 3A in Billerica and the car in front of me was waiting to turn left so I slowed to a stop. An old guy in a Honda Civic was tailgating me and slammed on his brakes, then slammed on his horn. I thought I was going to get rear ended. His car skidded and his brakes sounded squeaky, definitely needs a new set. He continued driving erratically like that for the next mile or two, trying to pass on the right the whole time. We got to each stop light at the same time
I see lots of folks in small, older model cars like Civics driving erratically. They must think they're super human. I guess they don't quite comprehend that they're the ones who are likely going to end up with the more severe injuries if they crash into a newer model or much larger vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 01:14 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
A house near me has had, no lie, around 15 handwritten poster board type signs in their front lawn for the last 8 months. All of them express sentiments about how Biden is the worst, etc. If those are their political beliefs so be it but is there really a need to leave signs up like that for 8 months? It just makes their property look junky and if I was their direct neighbor and had to keep picking up windblown signs off my property from it, I wouldn't be too happy.
I hate lawn signs. I could care less if you like Trump, Biden, are against racism, or think that people drive by your house too fast. Not sure why so many people feel the need to share their thoughts on these tiny pieces of corrugated plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
My town has put speed bumps on a few of the more notorious pass-through streets where speeding has been common. And there seems to be continuous talk about putting in more on other streets. Are other towns doing this at all? It seems to work pretty well here anyway.
Oh! I absolutely hate when a town puts speed bumps on a road. There are a few streets in Newton and Dover I go down frequently that have that. To me, that seems like an overcorrection. Driving over the speed limit? Well, we're going to make you slow down to a crawl every 20 yards. You end up driving well under the speed limit.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:39 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
I agree with many of the sentiments here. A good portion of Boston and NYC drivers are maniacs on the road. I'm a driver who happens to follow the speed limits and give pedestrians the right of way (as required by law) however so many of these maniacs ignore pedestrian crossing signs that I have spoken with my City Councilor about other solutions.

It's so sad to see pedestrians wave a thank you to me when I stop at the crosswalks. I want to yell "don't thank me, it's your right to cross." I mean we're talking about Boston/Cambridge/Somerville here where streets are dense and one-way. Slow down, relax and be considerate on the road.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:56 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
It's so sad to see pedestrians wave a thank you to me when I stop at the crosswalks. I want to yell "don't thank me, it's your right to cross." I mean we're talking about Boston/Cambridge/Somerville here where streets are dense and one-way. Slow down, relax and be considerate on the road.

It's called common courtesy. I'll always nod my head, make eye contact and give a slight wave of acknowledgement. It's for my own safety as well (are they "really" stopping for me?). Sure the responsibility is on the driver to stop, but way too many pedestrians have a sense of entitlement in this town. The passive aggressive ones who half step it, phones in their faces...sorry to say that half the time I regret stopping for these losers (even though I do have respect for the the rules). Acknowledge the driver doing what he is supposed to, move with a purpose and GTF out of there. You have no right to impede traffic.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:08 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I see lots of folks in small, older model cars like Civics driving erratically. They must think they're super human. I guess they don't quite comprehend that they're the ones who are likely going to end up with the more severe injuries if they crash into a newer model or much larger vehicle.
I agree. I was in an SUV, so the guy in the Civic couldn't see ahead of me.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:16 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think you may be exaggerating a smidge.

I'm just making a general statement about signs. Do we need so many? Every other lawn I pass has 10 yard signs on it, every open space in our world has an advertisement plastered on it, and IMO we could trim down on the number of traffic signs as well because some are redundant.

If you think someone driving by your yard is going to look at you 10" x 10" corrugated plastic board with two skinny metal pegs sticking out of the bottom and change who they are or the way they act or vote based on what they saw in your yard I think you're kidding yourself. Just my opinion.
I think election signs make a difference at the local level. I know I use yard sign density as a proxy for local support. For things like President? I think the sign is saying more about expressing something about than about convincing anyone. Same with the "Let's Go Brandon" and "Hate Has No Place Here" signs. Sometimes people just feel inclined to shout who they are to the world.

I actually have two yard signs in front of my house right now. As do a lot of parents in Westwood. I know absolutely no one outside our house cares that we have two "Summer Reading Champions", but everyone inside the house is happy and the two reading champions like having the signs out for everyone to see. It's similar to the political signs. It's not for you, it's for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think you've misjudged me. I very much think drivers should follow the posted speed limit and that's especially important on local roads and critically important in densely populated areas. You never know when some kid is going to run out into the street after a ball.

My attitude is if you live on a busy street, you have to suck it up when it comes to the volume of cars going by your house at or below the posted speed limit. Yes, I do not see these signs on houses that back up to RT1 or for the most part any local highway/route. However, I regularly see them on the busiest streets in most towns. In Needham just to name some examples that would be Central, Dedham, High Rock, and Great Plain. I almost never see these signs on side streets. I guarantee you that any of these yahoos with these ridiculous red signs in their front yard would GLADLY lower the speed limit in front of their house from 35-40 to 15 if given the option (and I totally undertand that). Again, in my eyes these people feel the whole world should adapt to what they want and don't feel that they need to be concerned with what the existing conditions are. Again, you don't want cars whizzing by your house . . . don't buy a house on a busy street with a 30-40 MPH limit.
You've already said you obey the limits. I think we are just in disagreement about the "traffic calming zones" and "please slow down signs". Ideally you wouldn't need either, but I think we just disagree on how unsightly they are. I don't generally see these sorts of signs on a road I would consider "scenic" (density is too low) or on major thoroughfares (density is too high). It's almost always when my traffic app has pushed me off the beaten path. If anything those signs are a reminder that I am, in fact, off the beaten path and I don't mind an extra reminder.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:33 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 222,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I was thinking about this thread on my ride home. Sure enough, while cruising backroads through Wilmington i got stuck behind an elderly person doing the speed limit down the main road. I'm in no rush, so I settle in behind him and just blast my tunes.

Older guy in an Audi comes hauling up behind me, easily 40-50MPH down this road and brakes to get in behind us, starts riding my bumper and gesturing "come on lets go!" which I can see....like i have any control over it since I'm also stuck.

Finally he takes his turn and I hear him essentially accelerate to 40ish down a 25-30MPH side street.

Sadly i see this all the time, and I'm not a slow driver by any means.
Its okay. The 30 MPH is the least common denominator. Loaded trucks will have a longer stopping distance than a say an RS 5. Moreover, tires, temperature/weather, load etc. also play a huge role.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:59 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's called common courtesy. I'll always nod my head, make eye contact and give a slight wave of acknowledgement. It's for my own safety as well (are they "really" stopping for me?). Sure the responsibility is on the driver to stop, but way too many pedestrians have a sense of entitlement in this town. The passive aggressive ones who half step it, phones in their faces...sorry to say that half the time I regret stopping for these losers (even though I do have respect for the the rules). Acknowledge the driver doing what he is supposed to, move with a purpose and GTF out of there. You have no right to impede traffic.
I have the exact opposite problem. As a Ped, I'd much rather cross when there are no cars coming by. And yet people will stop constantly and then get mad when I just stand there. I'm not even talking about a crosswalk either.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I have the exact opposite problem. As a Ped, I'd much rather cross when there are no cars coming by. And yet people will stop constantly and then get mad when I just stand there. I'm not even talking about a crosswalk either.
Yeah, i'm the same. If 1 car is coming, i have no problem waiting for that car to pass and crossing behind them. Problem is that most folks won't know this and will stop anyway either because of courtesy, or depending on where I am, because it's the law.

I think one time I walked out to the curb to look for the ice cream truck for my kids and this nice old lady thought I wanted to cross and stopped. I tried to motion tha she could proceed but she didn't quite get it and was just giving me the biggest smile and waving me across. So i crossed anyway, and then just crossed back when she was out of sight.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yeah, i'm the same. If 1 car is coming, i have no problem waiting for that car to pass and crossing behind them. Problem is that most folks won't know this and will stop anyway either because of courtesy, or depending on where I am, because it's the law.
Can't be the law to let people jaywalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts