Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 04:09 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Good question that I don't have an answer to.

It seems to be common sense, though, that values would decline if the supply increased substantially.
It all depends on what an increase of supply does to demand.

If the thesis that the population losses are mostly due to the lack of available housing, then increasing supply will be filled by people not moving and prices may only stabilize instead of heading down.

The other point for SFH home owners is that there isn’t a lot of land left for green field development. Most additional housing will have to be in the form of higher density units. Despite what some people may say, there still is a considerable premium people are willing to pay for SFHs. Not everyone wants a SFH, so there will likely br some erosion of that existing demand, but if the increased higher density housing increases overall demand, there may still be an increase in overall demand for what people already own.

It’s also possible demand isn’t really limited by prices and increased supply will kill prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 10:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Is there evidence of declines in value in HCOL areas due to additional housing units being built? From my observations of the SF Bay Area it hasn’t happened. Yes prices are down now compared to peak but more due to tech layoffs than supply creeping up to meet demand.

Yes, they have other issues related to overpopulation.
My understanding is that San Francisco is down 10%. The house purchase math there is that people aren’t buying houses with a mortgage paying with W-2 money. They’ve been using stock money from IPOs and options/grants. Tech stocks corrected. The money machine halted and the housing market slowed because the volume of new millionaires wanting to buy housing dropped off.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It all depends on what an increase of supply does to demand.

If the thesis that the population losses are mostly due to the lack of available housing, then increasing supply will be filled by people not moving and prices may only stabilize instead of heading down.

The other point for SFH home owners is that there isn’t a lot of land left for green field development. Most additional housing will have to be in the form of higher density units. Despite what some people may say, there still is a considerable premium people are willing to pay for SFHs. Not everyone wants a SFH, so there will likely br some erosion of that existing demand, but if the increased higher density housing increases overall demand, there may still be an increase in overall demand for what people already own.

It’s also possible demand isn’t really limited by prices and increased supply will kill prices.
You can always knock things down and build apartment and condo towers near subway stops like New York City. Of course, the city of Boston hates towers and Cambridge is virulent about them. I kind of laugh at Boston finger pointing at the blue chip suburbs when they are the biggest problem.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:37 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I also don't understand why the additional housing and units wouldn't just get built in places like BOSTON or towns/cities closest to Boston. Building additional housing in a place like Marshfield or Hanover seems dumb.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also don't understand why the additional housing and units wouldn't just get built in places like BOSTON or towns/cities closest to Boston. Building additional housing in a place like Marshfield or Hanover seems dumb.
Agreed. If it’s not a 5 minute walk to a subway station, there’s not much point in increasing the density.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:47 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Agreed. If it’s not a 5 minute walk to a subway station, there’s not much point in increasing the density.
And yes it will annoy the people who live in these suburbs who maybe made a choice to get away from the city and more congested areas because that's what they, you know wanted and paid for.

Hyde Park has quite a bit of open space that should be used. I know there are other places in and around Boston but that is a place for sure that should be used for development. HP does have a lot of green space as well which Im sure people want to stay. Readville has so much wasted space, no idea why no one wants to build there.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:49 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Because it way more expensive to build there with much less available land…

You just build a bunch of townhomes and smaller lot SFHs in Marshfield and Hanover like they do everywhere else in the country.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:56 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because it way more expensive to build there with much less available land…

You just build a bunch of townhomes and smaller lot SFHs in Marshfield and Hanover like they do everywhere else in the country.
You're really all about building up those south shore suburbs huh? You also realize that's adding to more nightmare traffic and MBTA issues.

I'm guessing most people without kids would prefer to live in Boston than a south shore town. There is a development near me that is close to the highway and I always see transient type people who appear to be mentally ill or on drugs roaming along the highway. Those are sadly the types of people that places like that bring in. I think single people get more isolated and being in the city of near the city is probably better for them.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:15 PM

604 posts, read 561,889 times
The state needs more housing EVERYWHERE, at least east of Worcester.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:25 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
The state needs more housing EVERYWHERE, at least east of Worcester.
There are homes being built in my town...it's not like it's not happening...they're being built but they're not affordable housing. Anytime a house is built these days it seems to get listed for at least a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts