Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 06:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,750 times

Advertisements

Spring has sprung and so have the ubiquitous “best of” and “most exclusive”’designations. One such made me chuckle- Sandwich and Hyannis were listed. Full disclosure, I live in Sandwich and love it. But I wouldn’t say it was the best and it definitely is not exclusive. It’s a sleepy residential village with little variety in cuisine, a small quaint downtown and some interesting historic sites that can be seen in one afternoon. Sidewalks roll up by 8 pm. At the latest.

Hyannis. We avoid it as much as possible.

So, that said. What towns would you put on these lists and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 07:28 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Chatham.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:11 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Chatham. Ptown. Falmouth.

I do like Sandwich, by the way.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:20 AM

913 posts, read 559,774 times
Sandwich and Truro are my favorites because I like quiet and am not looking for Things To Do to busy-fy my vacation. Truro is well-known for that, Sandwich far less so, being better associated as Drive-Over Country on the Cape (Bourne is nearly entirely forgotten except by its devotees).

Falmouth is more like a middle-class version of prepster Chatham, and manages to stay that way because of being somewhat throttled in high season by ferrygoing vehicles.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I'd vote for not on the Cape. A 1 month rental at Nonquitt in South Dartmouth. Private beach. Golf course. Clay tennis courts. They run a day camp for kids so they're not underfoot the midweek days. There are three other gated communities in town but with less amenities. You generally have to go through a realtor. The associations frown on AirBnB and VRBO.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Sandwich and Truro are my favorites because I like quiet and am not looking for Things To Do to busy-fy my vacation. Truro is well-known for that, Sandwich far less so, being better associated as Drive-Over Country on the Cape (Bourne is nearly entirely forgotten except by its devotees).

Falmouth is more like a middle-class version of prepster Chatham, and manages to stay that way because of being somewhat throttled in high season by ferrygoing vehicles.
That is exactly why we moved to Sandwich. Maybe I need to consider renting out my house!

Old 03-21-2023, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chatham. Ptown. Falmouth.

I do like Sandwich, by the way.
Love living here. ❤️ Those are my top 3 as well.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Chatham.
Love Chatham. So many cultural events that begin in spring and continue through New Years.

It’s becoming a real foodie haven with so many ethnic choices. Several
restaurants with a Caribbean flair have opened. The owners of Mom & Pops is opening a Filipino restaurant after a successful run of Wednesday night themed dinners.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
As others have said, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want quiet places like Truro and Brewster are great. If you want a town with a little more to do there's P-town, Falmouth, Chatham, Osterville, etc.

I tend to spend most of my time in Mashpee when on the Cape. Mostly because I get free housing there. . However, I do like that it's more "built up" than some other areas of the Cape so if it's raining I can go to the movies. When my kids were little we went to the Children's Museum. If we want to go out to dinner or get takeout there are numerous choices.

Bottom line, there's a lot of good choices for places to go on the Cape and certainly a variety of places which makes it a good fit for a lot of different people.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:51 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
If I were a multi-millionaire, I'd have a house in P-Town. The dense, active "in-town" area is constrained be the topography and the National Seashore. The result is an extremely cool, vibrant, historic town center with plenty to do immediately adjacent to a wild, quiet, and beautiful stretch of dunes, pine barrens, and beaches. It's the perfect blend of everything packed neatly into a small area as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I grew up frequenting the cottages communities of Brewster, so between the nostalgia and the general appeal of the quaint cottage communities, the flats and calm bay beaches, etc. Brewster would be on my list. Truro and Falmouth round out my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts