Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 19,893 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I recently moved to Florida from Massachusetts and have been here for only a month but I want to go home. Missing my family, especially 22 month old niece a lot! Anyway, I was trying to google this question on line but I haven't had much luck yet.

How can I get home on a plane but still have my car come home with me. I don't want to sell my car because it is finally almost paid off and it is still running good. I don't really want to drive home again because that costs like $400 dollars and plane trip cost $100. Does anyone know if you can have your car carried on the plane somehow? I don't know if that sounds nuts but I thought I have heard of this before.

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you!

-Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM

658 posts, read 830,555 times
Amtrak has a service to move your car on the train, but it takes many days, and only along the East coast.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM

284 posts, read 1,167,217 times
There are professional services called "driveaway companies" that transport personal vehicles on those big car carrier trucks or by matching individual drivers who want to go on a road trip with personal vehicles that need to get from point A to point B. Also, you might be able to do this match yourself, individuals looking to go on a road trip often post on Craig's List looking for a car to drive. Not sure how much the professional services cost though!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Call up a few auto transport services. The MA-FL route can be cheap because it's so popular with the snowbirds going back and forth. For the cheapest rates, be flexible with your delivery dates. I also see ads on craigslist by people willing to drive cars long distance for a fee, but gas is expensive these days.

What kind of car do you have? Year, trim and mileage on it? Why not sell your car and buy an identical used on in Florida? Florida cars tend not to have any rust on them.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliwog View Post
I don't really want to drive home again because that costs like $400 dollars and plane trip cost $100. Does anyone know if you can have your car carried on the plane somehow?
Are you serious??? It costs airlines roughly 10 cents to fly one passenger one mile on an airplane. Do the math comparing the weight and space for a human to that of a car. Certainly a car can be transported via air freight from Florida to Massachusetts -- but it would cost many, many thousands thousands of dollars to do, much more than the value of the car (unless the car was some very rare collector's item with a seven figure price tag).

Practically the only cars transported via air are done by the Defense Department (military vehicles), the White House (transportation of the President's security-featured limousines), and very expensive collector's cars (and even then they are almost never flown because there is virtually no reason to need a 1938 Bugatti or a pre-war Rolls Royce so quickly).

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliwog View Post
Hi everyone

I recently moved to Florida from Massachusetts and have been here for only a month but I want to go home. Missing my family, especially 22 month old niece a lot! Anyway, I was trying to google this question on line but I haven't had much luck yet.

How can I get home on a plane but still have my car come home with me. I don't want to sell my car because it is finally almost paid off and it is still running good. I don't really want to drive home again because that costs like $400 dollars and plane trip cost $100. Does anyone know if you can have your car carried on the plane somehow? I don't know if that sounds nuts but I thought I have heard of this before.

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you!

-Paula
Carried on the plane? Are you serious? You can't have your car shipped by air, and even if you could, it would probably cost you most of what the car is worth.

You can tow your car on a U-Haul or have your car shipped by truck. You will spend far more to fly and have your car shipped than you will to just drive it to Florida or tow it with you. Add to that the horror stories about cars being damaged, taking much longer than promised, or the charges being much higher than quoted, and you have way more risk than you need.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Amtrak has a service to move your car on the train, but it takes many days, and only along the East coast.
We have friends whose daughter goes to college in FL, and that's what they do with her car. I have no idea what it costs, but I would look into that.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
I suggest either selling it or drive home... there is no cheaper way... I think you're talking about $200+ just in gas for the trip.... (1500 miles, @30mpg >> ~50 gals; @20mpg >> ~75gal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts