Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times

Advertisements

There are rumors swirling on Beacon Hill that we will be getting the toll increase, the gas tax hike, and brace yourselves....A possible sales tax increase to 6%.

Oh, and the legislature currently has a pay increase vote pending. FOR THEMSELVES!
Looks like we sent them a message this past November with our income tax repeal defeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM

270 posts, read 1,361,510 times
Default No change

As a green card holder who can not vote I can not hold my tongue here: The rest of the USA voted for change on November 4th but not so Massachusetts. From municipalities to the senate the same politicians and laws were confirmed (oh I forgot the "very important" questions number 2 and 3 were successful). So that is what the majority of voters wanted. Why are you complaining now???

Last edited by haberstroh; 12-04-2008 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo and addition

Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Yup, Massachusetts got exactly what it voted for... more of the same.

A quote from my favorite coffee mug:

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got..." (Anthony Robbins, I believe)

and another favorite:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." (Ben Franklin?? Albert Einstein???)

Yeah Massachusetts... the crew that you voted in is most appreciative
Assume the position...

(Unfortunately the insanity has spread north, and has infested NH statehouse as well.)

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
All I can say is that the 70% of Massachusetts citizens who voted to let the state keep stealing their money--well....thanks a lot guys. They are now running roughshod over us and it's only just beginning.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM

194 posts, read 408,388 times
Alot of people depend on the Govt for thier livlihood. State workers, municipal workers, people on public assistance, lobbyists, businesses that do govt work, teachers. These people vote.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Almost all the state races on my ballot were unopposed.
Almost all the federal races were unopposed.
Question 1 or no, until our politicians need our votes there's no motivation to earn our votes.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
What you guys are complaining about is exactly the reason I took my family and left MA last year after 15 years. We lived in John Olver's Congressional district, and every two years he either had no opposition or token opposition. Same for Kennedy and Kerry, as well as our state Rep and Sen.

The Republican Party is virtually dead in MA, and the result is a Democrat Party that is way left and holds the electorate with contempt. You only have to look at the initiatives that passed on income tax rollback and bilingual education to see what the legislature on Beacon Hill thinks of the voters. Until Massachusetts has a robust 2 or more party system, like most of the US, things will never change.

The only thing that makes me more sick is the fact that the Federal government is heading down the same road of one party government. Luckily things should swing back more toward balance once the shine wears off.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
There are rumors swirling on Beacon Hill that we will be getting the toll increase, the gas tax hike, and brace yourselves....A possible sales tax increase to 6%.

Oh, and the legislature currently has a pay increase vote pending. FOR THEMSELVES!
Looks like we sent them a message this past November with our income tax repeal defeat.

As a former resident(though it has been many years) I like this forum, and chime in once and a while.
You say your sales tax may go up too 6%.
Here in California, our's has been 8.5% for years, and there was a measure on the ballot to increase it one more penny to pay for infrastructure development.
A penny raise doesn't sound like much but, add that penny to everything you buy all year, and it adds up.
Personally, when I read the voter pamphlet, I vote for nothing that cost money.
It is like using a credit card, only the stakes are much higher.
People who vote for some of these spending measures don't realize they are mortaging their children's future.
In Ma. it is like every other state.
Voters get fed a bunch of bull, then vote for it, and complain later.
When you see a candidate running for office on the "change" agenda, the only thing that is going to change is when that candidate wins, the money and graft winds up in his, or her pocket.
I sympathize with the folks of Mass.
Bob.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Almost all the state races on my ballot were unopposed.
Almost all the federal races were unopposed.
Question 1 or no, until our politicians need our votes there's no motivation to earn our votes.

Nail on the head, jayrandom. We have unmitigated greed, graft and corruption going on up on Beacon Hill but yet these people get re-elected time and time again. Three of our state senators are facing criminal charges. The governor had a press conference and publicly insulted every voter in MA who didn't blindly follow him. (His "we are awash in cynicism" quote). They are constantly looking for new ways to stick it to us, the taxpayer and we just turn around and take it.

I was a registered Democrat until I moved to MA and saw what could happen to the party when allowed uncontrolled power. I changed to Republican. But then I changed to Independent. I wasn't nuts about the GOP party either. But the main reason I switched was so I could pull a Dem ticket in the primary and cast my vote AGAINST Kerry. Not that it did any good but at least I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts