Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,678 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a single family/town home (budget < 420 K) in the regions north of Boston. We find that Winchester's school district is one of the best, which is probably why the real-estate is highly priced there. We found that Stoneham has decent enough schools and the real-estate is not as expensive as Winchester. Both I and my husband are Software professionals and work in the downtown.

Can someone give us more information about Stoneham and why its real-estate is cheaper than Winchester ( is it only because of the better schools in winchester?)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
I live in Wakefield, about ten minutes from Stoneham. I drive through it every day so that doesn't qualify for much advice but, Wincester is simply known as being a very high end town, in every way. It's like the concord of the north suburbs. Stoneham is nice, but more middle of the road. The homes, stores, etc are just on a lower end...not low-end though.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 14,678 times
That was helpful ! Thanks ! We will continue to consider Stoneham seriously then.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM

50 posts, read 239,653 times
In addition to having better schools and a more quaint downtown, Winchester also has two commuter rail stations with direct access to Boston (<20 minutes). Stoneham has no direct rail access, which is certainly a factor in the lower home prices. If you'll be commuting to the burbs, this isn't a big issue.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM

42 posts, read 162,691 times
Stoneham had trouble supporting their schools: Stoneham cuts all sports at high school - The Boston Globe If you can afford Winchester, it is much better there. Schools are very important for future property values, even if you do not plan to have children.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
A friend of mine lives in Stoneham and he says the Boys and Girls Club there is incredible, it costs like 10 bucks a year per kid and they can do all the sports and activities they want.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM

304 posts, read 774,105 times
You should look at Melrose, it is a nice town right next to Winchester, with a very cute downtown.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 26,465 times
Well, I love Winchester but house there are really expensive, Stoneham is a nice mid class town with some school budget problems. Friend of mine says that they charge for everything!. Since I live in the other part of north shore close to the Atlantic Ocean, I have Commuter Rail train and I love it. Easy to get to Boston just 25 mins. Winchester offers this convenient service.
Melrose is cute and peaceful town, close to Malden and Orange line trains. Taxes are less expensive and house market is very fair.
If you want me to choose, I would go for Winchester!!!. Excellent school system and great houses. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 PM

16 posts, read 74,176 times
Stoneham has no H.S. sports or music programs. Nuff said

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 39,010 times
Smile Both towns have much to offer!

Both Winchester and Stoneham have a lot to offer. Depending on your budget, lifestyle and commuting needs, ages of your kids, you can be happy in either town. Winchester (where I live) has a variety of homes on the market right now, with many more coming on (as usual) in the Spring. Stoneham's had a harder time lately with prices, school issues, taxes. But, ALL towns have tighter school budgets these days. It's a good idea to ask a Buyer's Agent (who does not cost any money, by the way - agents get paid from the sale of a house) to show you around town. It's very hard to make a decision without seeing first-hand. Only YOU can make the judgement on what's "nice" or not.

There's also Reading, Woburn, Melrose, Wakefield, and Arlington to name a few other attractive towns that might work for you and your family!

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-26-2009 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: realtor soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts