Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 20,883 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My fiancee and I are considering moving to Walpole or Norwood. We currently live in Brookline and both work near South Station. We are both 25 and getting married next year, and likely will not start a family for another 5 years. I'd love feedback on how Norwood and Walpole would be for a couple our age. I've noticed that Norwood's town center is a bit more active than Walpole's, but we have seen a house in Walpole that we like that is within walking distance to the train. Can anyone tell me about what Walpole is doing to revitalize the downtown? Would a young couple fit in there? Also, what kinds of restaurants or activities are nearby? In Brookline I can walk to dance studios and restaurants, and we only have one car currently so it would be nice to be able to walk to some of these amenities. Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
How well Norwood or Walpole fits depends on what you're looking for. If you want to party at all hours of the night neither will be a good fit; if you want to settle down and live a more domestic life I think you'll fit in fine.

Norwood definitely has plenty to do in it town center and has a lot of good restaurants (Byblos, Abondanza II, maybe others). There's a candlepin lane in the center, as well. Not all of Norwood is within walking distance of the center, but plenty is. Norwood also has sidewalks most everywhere you'd want to go, which I can't say for the town I'm in. You could probably get by in Norwood without a car, but I don't think many actually do. I don't know much about Walpole, but it won't have the walking access to restaurants and ameneties that Norwood has. Neither will be close to what Brookline has, but you're probably moving in to the 'burbs knowing this.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 191,032 times
I would agree that Norwood is a smidge more happening. The center just has more. It is a bit closer to the city and has more stores, malls, restaurants, etc. But they both are suburban. Your life will be pretty similar whichever you pick.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
norwood, or why not go towards west roxbury area?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 AM

102 posts, read 450,125 times
Default Thoughts on Walpole

You've centered in on two good towns! At this writing, Norwood has more to offer downtown, but if you do have kids down the road you might want to consider that Walpole has better performing schools, lower crime, and a true small-town environment -- yet not exactly boring and still close enough to Boston and Providence. Plus, I personally feel Walpole has a bright future to build upon it's already impressive foundation.

With that said, please note that I have no vested interest in the town and this is just a common folk's perspective. I am not in real estate, nor in politics, although the latter is inevitable in the near future.

In my opinion, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better town than Walpole, if a family is indeed in the future. Even without kids, it's a great town; who wouldn't want to feel welcome as part of a community like this, therefore, experiencing a "sense of place?" Everyone knows each other here, there are lots of community events (parades, concerts, seasonal town common events), and a friendly neighbor that's always there to reach out to you. There is also a very active recreational department offering programs for kids and adults. The house lots are typically about a quarter acre -- ideal for young adult couples entertaining or for that future family. It's really a modern day "Leave it to Beaver " community.

Schools are excellent. Although Walpole didn't finish in the extreme upper echelon of the almighty MCAS, the schools are really focused on the students -- and there is lots of parent involvement. The schools are a community within a community -- proving that scores don't mean everything. At the high school level, Walpole is renowned for its great sports teams, but that undermines a vital piece of academic information: you'll find that many recent Walpole High School grads from 2007 and 2008 have gone onto Ivy League schools and other renowned colleges. I believe around 90 percent of recent grads go onto to college. So, contrary to rumors, Walpole is not exactly East Washbucket!

Regarding downtown Walpole, my understanding is a proposed new CVS expansion could very well be the catalyst to potentiate the center's greatness. The relatively new economic development officer has been very active, trying very hard to bring all relevant parties together to make the downtown a special place. Admittedly, I was very "down" on our center about a half year ago, but after talking with the economic development officer via phone, I now feel that this is the individual to help make things happen. I believe it will, and I am generally, by nature, not optimistic about these kind of things.

Several years ago, downtown Norwood was not that nice at all. Look what happened. Now it is a special place with restaurants and a variety of stores where you could actually do all your Christmas shopping! This can happen with Walpole, too. Again, my feeling is that downtown Walpole's progress will based on what is happening "behind the scenes."

Downtown Walpole certainly is by no means blighted, but could be better, indeed. With three town commons and a quaint classic New England look, all the town center needs is to fill up a few stores with quality businesses and this could end up as one of suburban Boston's true downtown gems. As it stands now, downtown Walpole is not that bad with many of the earmarks of old-time Americana -- a local pharmacy, barber shop, bakery, music shop and several niche stores that sell things like yarn, quilts, home furnishings and antiques. Downtown restaurants include Jalapeno's (Mexican), Finnegan's Wake (Irish), Becketts's (Irish), Blue Orchid (Asian) and Tee T's (dive with good food). Historic Blackburn Hall now houses a coffeehouse where you'll find musical entertainment on a given night.

Walpole is also a town of beautiful open land, especially the 89-acre Bird Park, the several hundred acres of land at Adams Farm, and the beautiful rural grounds at the Norfolk Agricultural School.

Don't get me wrong -- Norwood is a terrific town, too. I just think Walpole might have some qualities that deserve some strong consideration when considering a move. Remember, as mentioned earlier in this post, too, is that Walpole is lacking in anything, you're only a half hour from Providence and less than 45 minutes to Boston! Hope this helps. Please contact me with a direct message if you have any other questions.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 AM

50 posts, read 239,702 times
I'm sure they're both great towns, but I would highly recommend you go out to eat a few times for dinner to answer the questions about fit for a young couple w/o kids. I ate in Norwood last weekend and my wife and I were basically the only couple there under 50 that didn't have kids - we couldn't stop talking about what a different world it was than Brookline / JP. I'm married and not interested in partying at all, but it is a huge change from Brookline. A agree, if you want Maggie, if you want more space or easier access to South Station, consider Roslindale, West Roxbury, etc.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times
Unfortunately the Kahana is gone.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I agree with Eric's post. Walpole is a nicer town to raise a family, and a better investment in the long run. If you found a house where you can walk to the train, you will save $$ by not having to pay the fees in the mbta lots. In addition to the restaurants already mentioned, there are several new ones at Patriot Place in Foxborough, which is just a short drive.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 20,883 times
Thanks for all of the feedback so far! No, neither of us are "partiers", but I do like being able to walk to get ice cream or dinner, or to pick up a pizza. Also love ordering delivery after a long day. I've also heard there are some great restaurants nearby within driving distance, which I guess would not be bad. I know we have talked about moving in 5-7 years, so we may not have kids while we are here, but I can see that for resale Walpole would be attractive for a family. I thought I had also heard something about a grant for downtown improvements, so I'm hoping that will happen soon after we move there (if that is what we choose, though we are leaning towards it).

Also, does anyone know anything about the reputations of dance studios in Norwood and Walpole? I grew up taking dance and want to continue, but I obviously don't know much about the studios in the area.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 38,129 times
Have you seen this web site, [URL="http://www.fadsnorwood.com"]www.fadsnorwood.com[/URL]. The Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Norwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts