Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times

Advertisements

Haha.

Before you laugh your ass off at me, I realize that Miami most likely crushes Boston on the club scene but for those of you who have experienced both cities could you compare and contrast the nightlife for me?

I'm weighing options between schools in boston and schools near Miami and find that the weather and the nightlife will probably determine my decision because I like to have lots of fun.

When I think of South Florida I think of big venues with thumping beats and huge crowds of beautiful people. When I think of Boston (Actually have visited Boston many times) I think of small lounges and pubs. Can't think of more than one club that comes close to the South Florida scene.

So just checking to make sure that I have the right impression on Boston's nightlife or if I underestimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I'm well past the clubbing stage of life, so take this with a grain of salt, because my perspective on Boston's clubs is one of looking in from the outside. From that perspective, I think you underestimate.

However, based on your description of the factors you are considering, I'm guessing that Miami would work better for you as a place to live. That is, if what you want in weather is a warm climate as opposed to four seasons.

Notice that I said Miami sounds like a better fit for you "as a place to live." My usual advice to people planning to move somewhere for school is to make the college, and how well it fits their academic and career goals, top priority. Getting the best education possible affects the rest of your life, not just the several years you spend living in the place where your school is located. That makes it especially important to go with the best college, or the one that's best in your major, of any you are considering.

In the event of something close to a tie on schools, from what you say you are seeking in the way of a social scene, it sounds as if Miami may be a better fit for you, again assuming you would prefer a warm climate. You said something about "beautiful people" heavily populating the Miami clubs. While it's true that Boston has its chic set, my impression is that the clubs are frequented by a lot of college kids, and maybe some fully employed post-school young adults as well, and that dress is usually somewhat casual. Even when Bostonians--of all ages--dress up, they tend to do so in more conservative clothing styles, not so much in styles that scream, "Look at me everyone." If it's glitz you're looking for, Boston is not the first-choice city.

All of this is based on a brief description in your post. If I have the wrong impression of what you're looking for in a social scene then please correct me so you can get some good info on how well Boston might fit with your preferences. Also, I'm sure that if people who really know the local club scene better than I do see that I'm in error on anything I've said, they will jump in and clear up the picture.

I do get the impression that you are seeking a steamy, glitzy club scene. For that, you'd probably be better off in Miami. And obviously Miami would be better for a year-round beach scene. However, if among the schools you are considering there is a clear front-runner in Boston, I strongly encourage you to make the suitability of the school to your goals your top priority. That will affect the rest of your life, and Boston is still a fun, interesting city, even if it may not match Miami for your particular needs.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
It's apples and oranges, really. You can find a little bit of each (the large, upscale clubs and the laid back, quiet pubs) in each city. Miami's weather is a lot warmer and the club scene is much larger and more exclusive. I have a few friends that work/ do promos at clubs in Miami and have had the opportunity to visit them. Ogre is right about the dress being different. Boston, while liberal by nature, dresses much more conservative. I love the story about the kid from L.A. wearing $200 gucci sneakers and not being allowed into a club while his friend with the $30 payless specials got in... all because the club was dead serious about the dress shoe policy. You wouldn't see that in Miami. Miami is much flashier. If you're beautiful, dressed in trendy clothes (don't need to be expensive, but tastefully flashy), drive and expensive car (Every car at a Miami club is a Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, etc), or just willing to fork over $100+ to the bouncer (in addition to the standard cover) you'll get in in Miami. In Boston, I've had bouncers at the nicest clubs not even accept tips. Boston is much more traditional in its nightlife (even the big clubs which there are plenty of in Boston) than Miami is.

Another important point is last call. It's 2am in Boston (many places close at 1) while it's 4am or none at all depending on where you are in Miami. While there are some bars in Boston that legally weasel their way around last call and stay open all night (they do this by being "private" and having "members" though you can call and add your name to the member list the evening before going out). Miami parties harder and wilder. The weather is warmer. If that's important to you, go to Miami. Ogre's point about schools is a good one... maybe you should consider the college first. You could always go to either city later in life.

good luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
The Boston club scene isn't what it was 15 years ago. I remember lines for for clubs like Avalon and Venus that would stretch the length of Lansdowne. Avalons final 2 years, they were lucky to pull 200 ppl on a Friday night. I think people got fed up with the super clubs and BS on Lansdowne. Now it's all smaller (150-300 cap) venues scattered all over the city. Same thing happened in NYC too. Clubs like the Tunnel, Sound Factory, The Roxy, Limelight/Avalon all closed. Now, with the exception of Pacha, it's a bunch of smaller venues like Cielo and Sullivan Room.

Personally I prefer the smaller venues, so you'll get no complaints from me.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post

I do get the impression that you are seeking a steamy, glitzy club scene. For that, you'd probably be better off in Miami. And obviously Miami would be better for a year-round beach scene. However, if among the schools you are considering there is a clear front-runner in Boston, I strongly encourage you to make the suitability of the school to your goals your top priority. That will affect the rest of your life, and Boston is still a fun, interesting city, even if it may not match Miami for your particular needs.
I love boston and you pretty much hit it on the head. Unless a Boston school just fits like a glove I would probably avoid it if for no other reason that I have never lived in a warmer climate (Im big on beaches) and I have never been around the glitzy wild nightlife scene. I know if I went to Boston I would have fun but I feel that Boston isn't going anywhere and the fun club lifestyle is slowly fading away for me as I get into my upper 20's so it's pretty much now or never for that stuff.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm weighing options between schools in boston and schools near Miami and find that the weather and the nightlife will probably determine my decision because I like to have lots of fun.
This will only serve to confirm that Bostonians are uptight killjoys, but I'll add my voice to the chorus asking what role will the questions of which school will (1) provide the best education and (2) best position you for your post-school life play in this decision? I know you want to have a good time before it's "too late" but this decision will likely have big ramifications for your future.

On the nightlife issue, I don't disagree with your initial take or anything that anyone else has said.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I know you want to have a good time before it's "too late" but this decision will likely have big ramifications for your future.
I won't go to a bad school that is not accredited. I have a bachelor degree in business that has been next to worthless for me because I live in a small town (and it lacks a focus). The only way I have been able to make money is to use my service industry experience to get restaurant jobs in tourist area's.

So I want to go to a tech school and take the 1-2 years it will take to get a specific skill that will do well in the new economy and give me a stable alternative. It seems like that's not too much to ask to find a school like that in any good sized city but I certainly won't sacrifice my future for some fun. What I'd like is to find a place that has both to fulfill my needs.

I know Boston has that but I also know that what few big clubs Boston use to have, have closed down. I also worry about feeling isolated since people are not big networkers here in Boston, at least not even close to Florida or California.

I was thinking LA but they just have too many problems over there. I don't like the exclusivity of Miami so I am trying to find a place north of Miami to live that is still happening but not as exclusive within short commute to Miami so I can experience it.

If I don't like wherever I move i only have to put up with it for a couple of years. I know I would prefer Boston over anywhere else I have lived up to this point but I'm worried about feeling isolated in the final few years I have before I am going to want to settle down and have stability.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Got it. I just wonder if you'll be stuck there because your school's location in Miami and the contacts you make there would make it easier for you get a job down there, and harder to find something here. Not sure how much that will be an issue.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Got it. I just wonder if you'll be stuck there because your school's location in Miami and the contacts you make there would make it easier for you get a job down there, and harder to find something here. Not sure how much that will be an issue.
Actually the plan is to travel up north to Boston area (Martha's Vineyard/Capecod) for every summer that I stay down there, and I have connections in place for next summer already -- so hopefully this all will work out well for me and Im certain that Boston is a great city for people in their 30's and 40's for when I want to settle in to a more balanced and stable area.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
I'm not a club person and haven't been to Miami but talking with friends you have been to Boston and Miami they would prefer Miami. The Boston nightlife scene is more irish pubs and lower key clubs. Many of the irish bars are owned by the same management group and are the same crowd and atmosphere. Gets old really fast.

I've heard quite a few people complain that the Boston nightclub scene isn't what it used to be. I know that you can't have as many people in a club/bar as you used to and many have complained the music and scene hasn't changed over the last 5 years and isn't doing anything new. Boston in my opinion has never been trendy...even the bars and clubs in Tampa (which I've been to) are a lot more trendy than Boston. Florida also has some great happy hours, which are not legal in MA.

As far as lines and cover charges I have no idea anymore...and don't know what the difference between the two cities would be. I think its ridiculous to pay $10 and wait in line to get into a bar in Boston, or anywhere. I don't do it and refuse to do it. I only did it when I was going out with friends and it wasn't really my choice to go to some of those places. I know clubs usually have people that go and dance and don't drink as much...so they have to make their money on cover charges also.

From what I've heard and read if your looking for trendy and more popular than Miami would definitely beat Boston. Even the few clubs I've been in Boston I always feel like its deju vu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: