Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM

88 posts, read 221,512 times

Advertisements

I'm in CT and travel alot in New England daily. What is up with the MA drivers that want to travel in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic? In CT if its 3 lanes the rt lane is for slow,middle traveling and left for PASSING.
We have signs that show this when you enter the state,is this true in MA too.
I was just behind some wing ding in CT with MA plates and he would not move to travel lane for nothing.
Just been curious about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
What is up with the MA drivers that want to travel in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic?
Didn't you know? We're all Ma$$holes!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
You think that's screwy and anoying, here in California, the freeway lanes are numbered backwards.
Most states number them #1 for the lane you are on when you enter a freeway, #2 #3, and then #4 being closest to the median.
Here in CA. the lane closest to the median is #1, and the lane you are in when you enter the freeway is the #4 lane.
I have always wondered why they are numbered backwards from the rest of the country.
California has always been a frontrunner for many things that later show up in the rest of the country but, this thing about lane numbering is absolutely stupid.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You think that's screwy and anoying, here in California, the freeway lanes are numbered backwards.
Most states number them #1 for the lane you are on when you enter a freeway, #2 #3, and then #4 being closest to the median.
Here in CA. the lane closest to the median is #1, and the lane you are in when you enter the freeway is the #4 lane.
I have always wondered why they are numbered backwards from the rest of the country.
California has always been a frontrunner for many things that later show up in the rest of the country but, this thing about lane numbering is absolutely stupid.
I completely don't get this. You number the lanes? Never heard of that!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
I'm in CT and travel alot in New England daily. What is up with the MA drivers that want to travel in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic? In CT if its 3 lanes the rt lane is for slow,middle traveling and left for PASSING.
We have signs that show this when you enter the state,is this true in MA too.
I was just behind some wing ding in CT with MA plates and he would not move to travel lane for nothing.
Just been curious about this.
I don't understand it either. I've seen people get on the highway and immediately go to the left lanes with no other traffic on the highway. It isn't just MA though, I've seen bad drivers everywhere. On Rt. 128 it is easier to pass in the right 2 lanes because everyone drives in the left lanes.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM

289 posts, read 1,271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I've never heard of lane numbering either and I don't get what difference it makes.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 AM

88 posts, read 221,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Didn't you know? We're all Ma$$holes!
Now thats productive I guess if the shoe fits, so the saying goes

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM

136 posts, read 462,798 times
Agreed that that is part of our driving culture and that there's no law that I know of (or enforced) about left-lane drivers. Also agree that it's annoying and that we are, indeed, Mas$$holes!

Hey CalGuy - we may not have lane numbers but on Rt128 during commute times if someone is in the left lane and you want to pass them you can go in the break down lane. No %$#!, really! lol.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScituateAl View Post
Agreed that that is part of our driving culture and that there's no law that I know of (or enforced) about left-lane drivers. Also agree that it's annoying and that we are, indeed, Mas$$holes!

Hey CalGuy - we may not have lane numbers but on Rt128 during commute times if someone is in the left lane and you want to pass them you can go in the break down lane. No %$#!, really! lol.
I believe you can also use the breakdown lane on 93 during rush hour...unless they've changed it recently. All it does is cause accidents, which causes more traffic.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
I've never heard of lane numbering either and I don't get what difference it makes.
The reason the lanes have a designated number is so that in case of an accident or other tie-up, the officials can let the public know what lanes are conjested or closed.
We have 24/7 traffic reporting as well as freeway signs that warn of traffic problems ahead.
This is a 24/7 city, and it is not unusual to see hundreds of vehicles traveling the freeways a 2am.
Numbers are not actually painted in the lane, but it is a given as to what lane is what number.
Still, I would think the number #1 lane would,and should be the first lane that you enter when entering a freeway, or as in the east, expressway.
We too have our share of drivers who just won't relinquish there spot in the high speed lanes.
Usually the scnerio goes like this,
You are traveling in the high speed lane about 65mph, (when traffic allows)when you come up on someone doing 45mph.
You tailgate for a couple of hundred yards, then lay on the horn, flash the headlights, and swear at the fool to move over.
Then the slow moving dude jams on the brakes.
This usually ends up in a cat and mouse game of chicken, until one or the other gives up and gives the other person the finger.
I guess drivers are the samer every where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts