Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM

16 posts, read 89,041 times

Advertisements

I am a registered nurse and I am relocating to Westborough, MA. Thanks to others on this website and some research I have a nice list of the hospitals in the Boston and MetroWest area. I'm working with a nurse recruiter so I'm getting plenty of leads. What I'm looking for is advice from any other nurses or other medical personnel out there regarding the best hospitals to work at. Any preferences from hospitals you have worked at??? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
I am a nurse who has worked in a few facilities in Boston and north of the city. Honestly, I think one of the best places to work is Mass General. They're a magnet facility, they have the best staffing ratios I've ever seen, and the pay is very very good, with the highest shift differentials in the state. Very nurse friendly, and lots of specialty areas, with emphasis on education, collaboration and respect for nurses. You're treated as an equal member of the healthcare team, and because it's one of the premier medical centers in the nation, if not world, your career can go anywhere.
Let me know if you would like more info, and good luck

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 92,844 times
Default Furture RN reseacrhing to relocate from NY to Boston in 2yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTRN View Post
I am a nurse who has worked in a few facilities in Boston and north of the city. Honestly, I think one of the best places to work is Mass General. They're a magnet facility, they have the best staffing ratios I've ever seen, and the pay is very very good, with the highest shift differentials in the state. Very nurse friendly, and lots of specialty areas, with emphasis on education, collaboration and respect for nurses. You're treated as an equal member of the healthcare team, and because it's one of the premier medical centers in the nation, if not world, your career can go anywhere.
Let me know if you would like more info, and good luck
Hi I just came across your reply. I too am looking to relocating? I was wondering do you have any more info about working for MGH. I was thinking about doing my MS in Psychiatric NP at MGH andhopefully working there. I have read on their website that they are the topic hospital especially for working mothers.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
The psych service at MGH is top-rated in the country, however, it is relatively small and jobs are competitive.
I'd say anywhere downtown is going to pay really well and be somewhat competitive for work. All are well regarded and well paid.
(Disclaimer- I have not worked downtown and work in psych on third shift outside Boston, no advanced degrees).
I am a little surprised to hear that MGH is well regarded as a "nurse's hospital." I'll trust those who have worked there, but overall, I've heard quite the opposite- that often people come in to get it on their resume and move on because it isn't RN friendly. It has not been on "Working Mothers" top list, in fact, only MIT has been for Massachusetts. Maybe it's flexible hours.
Historically, Beth IsraelDeaconess has been a big favorite for RNs and working mothers (especially when it was stand-alone BI). There was a time when you had to read the obituaries to see if there were any jobs opening at BI, even when there was a nursing shortage. Of course, times change, but I still have co-workers who leave my place to work downtown, MGH, BI, and Tufts.
I believe pay tends to drop off outside the city.
Most downsizing seems to have been done. A lot of beds were cut and places closed in the 1990s, and I think it's a lot less likely that that will happen on any real scale in the forseeable future.
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: