Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM

7 posts, read 21,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on Groton and Dunstable, Tyngsborough, Ayer, Littleton, Westford, Mass. I know they border Groton but I was just wondering on how long it would take to commute to Groton and if one has more to do. Also do you know of any apartments in Groton? Or the other towns? Are they all small quaint towns? Do you know if they have good downtowns or jobs? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,660,716 times
What part of Groton will you be in? Groton is fairly big geographically. There isn't a lot of apartments, it is mostly a rural town with older and newer colonial style homes. You will find more of the apartments in Littleton, Westford, and Ayer.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 AM

20 posts, read 97,863 times
Chelmsford is also pretty close to Groton - just take Rte 40 in and they have a fair number of apartments.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,459,496 times
Look up Community Newspaper Group. It's a suburban chain that has apartments listed in these towns. Groton and Littleton might have an apartment here or there and it's not worth it to the owners to list it anywhere big.
Ayer is also listed in CNG papers.
There isn't exactly much to do in any of these towns, depending on your definitions of activity. All of the towns do have some antique houses,farmhouses, etc. Not a lot of cute downtowns, although Groton, say, has more of one than Littleton.
There is a great roadhouse/tavern listening room for pretty major musicians (blues, etc.) in Shirley, a bit further down Rt.2- The Bull Run, the main room of which is pre-Revolution. There are interesting restaurants here and there (more towards Littleton/Acton than away). You can go to Lowell for some real urban/ethnic food, and a Double-A baseball team, convention center, theater.
Of course, there is a lot of conservation land for walking, biking, farmstands and beautiful drives.
I've seen neat little individual apartments (like one in a house) in Groton on Lost Lake. Little, on the lake, which is closer to Littleton than west. Again, likely to be in Community Newsgroup.
There are apartment complexes in Chelmsford, pretty ordinary big box buildings, very suburbo. I think there are townhouses/condos (newish, big) for rent along 119 in Townsend.
Best wishes.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure where in Groton. I know it's not West Groton. We got a job at Deluxe which is on Main st. Do any of you know about how long the commute into Groton would be. I'd like to be in Westford or Chelmsford, btw thanks for Chelmsford, because they look closer to Salem, Boston, and the cape. Do you know of any towns that has the T run through it that's close to Groton? Thanks everyone!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,660,716 times
You could also look in Nashua, NH which has quite a bit to do and some apartments. Also, shopping in NH you'll save on sales tax. I would stay failry close to Groton. Commuting from Boston and Salem even though it is more of a reverse commute isn't really worth it. There may also be some places for rent in Pepperell and Shirley. If you don't mind Lowell, you can find some loft style apartments there in the downtown area. Just be careful in Lowell, it has some bad parts but also some nice parts.

What price range would you like to rent at also? The closer you go to Boston the more you will pay...and not for anything that is any nicer.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Okay, we are defintitly moving to Groton before the twelfth. It's very short notice. Ahhhhh. I've only been to Boston and to Salem when I was one and half. We'd like something around 700-800. I've found some but there that much for the studio! Mass is expensive! We could always start out in a studio. I just meant it would be nice if we took off ten mins to the drive to Salem, Boston, and the cape for vaca reasons. I've looked at Community Newspaper Group but I couldn't find anything. Most of them don't list where they are. Is Jesup anywhere near Groton or Westford? Is it safe? I think we need to get a realitor, sp. I'm going to look into Chelmsford now. Do you know about how long it would take to get to 500 Main St. Groton from say about the middle of Chelmsford? Thanks again for all of your help. Oh, Westford too? Is Tyngsborough and Ayer nice safe areas? I've found some apts there as well. Thanks. Bye, Heather.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,459,496 times
Never heard of Jesup, and I live in Littleton.
Main Street in Groton is a nice quaint area. From Chelmsford, let's see, against traffic, maybe 30 minutes?
Tyngsboro is relatively far up the highway (north). Suburban ordinary safe. Ayer is too, but Ayer is much closer to Main Street, Groton. Ayer has a working-class history due to the former Fort Devins, but is in no way unsafe. There are houses and apartments there on ponds, I think Long Pond, and maybe a lake. There is a commuter line stop in Ayer (Purple Line) that goes into Cambridge and Boston. I think apartments are on the cheaper side in Ayer, too. I'd vote for Ayer if you cannot find something suitable in Groton or if you want to be on the train.
If you are driving to the Cape for the occasional vacation, I don't think it makes a lot of difference between the towns you mention. The traffic there is largely everyone else driving to the Cape on Friday and coming back Sunday, and you can't avoid it if you're going then, no matter where you live.
Jesup???

Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Thank you so much. I was able to find some reasonable apts in Ayer. Plus I saw that they have a Wendy's, Mcdonalds, subway, ect. Can you tell me what the name of the newspaper is in that area? I'd like to see if I can see listings for apts on line. I don't want to have to go through apartment finder, and others like it, if I don't have too. Do you have a movie theater in Littleton? It looked like the closest that I could find was in Tyngsborough, is that correct? We're taking a drive down on Mon or Tues to look around. Thank you again for all of your help!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Oh, I was looking at apartments from the Groton Mass site, I think. It listed them from all over Mass, I believe. Jesup was one of the towns???? I thought maybe it was near Boston???? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts