Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,812 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help us in thinking about buying a home in Hopkinton. My Husband has been checking out a job in Worcester, but also has an offer in Cambridge. I have been trying to find a good metro west suburb for this possibility.
We can't afford a fortune on housing (700's max) so Hopkinton looked good all around: affordable, nice small town New Englandy feel and not too far from fun stuff in Boston and the beaches. Specifically, which neighborhoods are good and which elementary schools are favored. We want somewhat of a neighborhood and older housing stock (I love antiques). My hubby wants some land (an acre or so).

Hope you wise folks can help us out. We used to live in Boston up until 2 years ago and never ventured too far west to know anything about these towns.

We miss Mass terribly. North Carolina isn't what we thought it would be professionally (we knew culturally it would be different). So we're headed back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,013 times
Hi, I ghost wrote an article in the WSJ recently about Hopkinton that you might find somewhat helpful: THE ADDRESS : The Business of Extraordinary Living : Presented by Sotheby's International Realty

My favorite neighborhood in town is Charlesview Estates, as it's a nice mature neighborhood and is walking distance to schools, tennis & basketball courts, EMC Park, etc a few miles from the train. You could also choose one of the beautiful historic homes near the town common. We're hosting a Holiday Shopping Soiree/Fashion Show Fundraiser at a historic home in town in November. You can see it at Holiday Shopping Soiree | Facebook (Not of the price you're looking for, just fun to look at! :-)

I also really like the neighborhoods near Lake Whitehall as they feel more wooded and lovely (except for Cranberry Cove which I are huge, new, and I find rather ostentatious).

The town has easy access to Rt 495 for getting to the Cape, and there are two lakes in town (although Lake Maspenock gets to be party central with all the jet ski craziness).

Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,013 times
Holliston would also be worth a look. Definately a quintessential New England town with lovely antiques and generous lot sizes. The only issue is further away from main roads and has no train station. Southboro is worth checking out as well - very well regarded schools but better access (and somewhat higher prices). You can see a few photos at Flickr: elizaj1's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21590926@N07/ - broken link).

Old 10-25-2010, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,995 times
I really enjoy Hopkinton. From what I hear all of the schools are really good and all of the state reports I have read show good schools in the town.
I personally like the Lake Whitehall area and think it had a nice feel to it and of course a lake.
Lake Maspenock is also a nice area but smaller houses/small lots and with your budget up to 700s you can afford a bigger house/more land. I also think there are subdivisions in the town but most look like cookie cutter homes to me and are just big.
I think any part of town is nice and close enough to Boston to go to the city when you want. Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

160 posts, read 571,516 times
Hopkinton is a great town. It is nice commute to Worcester, but I don't think it is a great commute to Cambridge. If I was relocating to MA, and working solely in Cambridge, then I might choose a town that has a better commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts