Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,633,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
Not true at all, AT ALL. Head down south and spend any real amount of time there, with an honest desire to LIVE down there, and then come back here and tell me that the rest of the US is no different than Massachusetts. M***holes aren't called that for no good reason. Sorry to break it to you, but it's the truth, ESPECIALLY when really nice people I run into that are lifelong residents of MA, telling me how unfriendly this state is. But, hey, you can keep on thinking that it's all because New England folks believe in "earning the right to a friendship".
HAHA!! Some people are negative and some people are positive. It doesn't matter where you are from and that is a fact. Geography has nothing to do with attitude my friend.

Last edited by RLCMA; 04-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Need to change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,396,168 times
Sorry but I spent time in Loozyanna, Arkansas, S. Carolina...southern hospitality is a myth, bucko. I met some of the rudest, inconsiderate maroons EVER. Thats not to say I didn't meet some fine and respectable people too but generalizations on the whole in not accurate.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Sorry but I spent time in Loozyanna, Arkansas, S. Carolina...southern hospitality is a myth, bucko. I met some of the rudest, inconsiderate maroons EVER. Thats not to say I didn't meet some fine and respectable people too but generalizations on the whole in not accurate.
Exactly. Some people just don't understand. They're obviously not well traveled if they think MA is full of mean and nasty people. It is a total myth. I've spent a lot of time all over the country since I travel regularly for work and even in small podunk towns in TX you're going to find people who are not open and friendly. Each person has their own attitude and it's a personal choice to be negative or positive. Where you're from has nothing to do with it at all.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,852,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I used to have the same thought about MA people (me being one of them). In all honesty the people here are no different than anywhere else you go. Some people are outgoing and friendly and others are reserved. I figured out it was my own closed minded and negative attitude that made me think others were rude around here. I adjusted my attitude and I find the people here to be as friendly as anywhere else I have ever been and I've been to about 40 of the 50 states.
Amen! I like your attitude.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Statistically, the locations with higher rates of depression are also those where winters are long or there's a lot of rain. Tacoma, WA, is said to have the most depressed population percentagewise in the entire US. Guess what, it's also perpetually cloudy there and it's raining more often than not. Of course that doesn't tell the whole story, since folks in Seattle and western Oregon are famous for their laid-back ways and it's no sunnier there..

Don't mean to troll here but with the NW climate aside, most people would be happier living in Seattle and Oregon over Tacoma. Like any city it has nice parts but I would be depressed to live in Tacoma too!

I lived in Seattle for 5 years and loved it. I found it was an easy climate to adapt to because it was really no worse than New England. We get a lot of damp weather here too. Also like everywhere the NW has had weird el nino weather patterns and it hit 105 there in July 2009

I'm optimistic for a good summer in Mass in 2010, we deserve it after the rainout last summer.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM

I love Seattle!! It's my favorite city in the country.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM

12,907 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Love Seattle! One of my favorite cities too.

I am getting a kick out of how this thread turned into yet ANOTHER place for people to gripe about just how rude we all are here in MA. I had no idea that my neighbors and I spent so much time walking around with bamboo oars stuck up our Ganges' (as they say in India). It might just be me, but I think it's sort of rude to come onto a public forum used by mostly people of a certain area (say, for example, the Massachusetts forum?) and make sweeping negative generalizations about the people that live there. "Hey, kettle! You're black!"

Anyway, I have noticed that people are all around happier. Probably because I'm one of them. I've entered into conversations with strangers outdoors and that doesn't happen in poorer weather (mostly because each second I waste chatting, the chances of me irreparably freezing extremities increase exponentially). I'm enjoying this weather to no end (rude neighbors and all [/sarcasm]).

Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I am getting a kick out of how this thread turned into yet ANOTHER place for people to gripe about just how rude we all are here in MA. I had no idea that my neighbors and I spent so much time walking around with bamboo oars stuck up our Ganges' (as they say in India). It might just be me, but I think it's sort of rude to come onto a public forum used by mostly people of a certain area (say, for example, the Massachusetts forum?) and make sweeping negative generalizations about the people that live there. "Hey, kettle! You're black!"

Anyway, I have noticed that people are all around happier. Probably because I'm one of them. I've entered into conversations with strangers outdoors and that doesn't happen in poorer weather (mostly because each second I waste chatting, the chances of me irreparably freezing extremities increase exponentially). I'm enjoying this weather to no end (rude neighbors and all [/sarcasm]).
Well keep in mind who is talking about negative people....other negative people. LOL Positive people don't complain and blame the outside world for not being friendly.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,994,933 times
I've never lived in MA, but we did spend a week on the Cape last summer. I don't think we ran into 1 rude person the whole time. Maybe because I am introverted, but I prefer the stereotypical reserved New Englander to the overly friendly Southerner. I have also noticed that weather plays a big factor in the moods of most people. (Btw, it's affect, not effect when you want to say the weather affects my mood.)

Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

and that was my intention of opening this thread. Positive triumphs over negative. Meanwhile we get to enjoy this weather that is the bomb diggity! And if anybody that is still complaining about how rude people are in Mass in weather like this clearly needs to look within. You get what you give. Happy Spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts