Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM

355 posts, read 1,047,209 times

Advertisements

I'm liking it even better now. Being from Puerto Rico I would like to be able to walk to the beach and don't get as home sick as possible. So having a good boardwalk close by is definetely a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
Peapod is the delivery service from Stop & Shop- it's awesome, you order online and they will carry it all in to your kitchen, even if you live up a flight of stairs or two. I definitely recommend them; it's like having a personal assistant to take care of your groceries! However, there is a $50 minimum purchase requirement, and I don't buy that much at a time usually

Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
If you are still thinking Quincy you will love it and the convenience. North Quincy and Wollaston have thre most supermarkets, the T will take you to most places and I have to agree with IZ regarding Wollaston Beach.
Wollaston ~there are so many choices even for take-out pizza, subs, Chinese ... Quincy Center has such a variety of everything.

Supermarkets, buy the little cart and you can pretty much walk to them.

Quincy is a city but it is like a lot of little towns within a big city so it does give the home town feel. Lots of good people here.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Awesome info Sili and crazyworld. I was looking at craiglist and some other sites and it looks like there are always good rental options close to the different T stations. I also read that often markets are close by. The cart sounds good. I remember I bought one for my brother when I went over to visit. He ask me: "Why the heck haven't I thought of that?"

It looks like a 12 months leasing is the norm, is it? I'll definitely have a look at whenever I chose, but I get kind of nervous thinking about a year lease.

Another thing that is kinda worrying for me is the walking to the T. The description says: "10 min walk to the T". I check on google and it looks so far! I think it's just my mind looking at the map and getting the wrong perception. You see, I've never lived without a car before, so this "carless" living is new to me. Next time I check on the maps I'll keep an eye out for the scale, if the description says 10 mins it can't be that far.

I was checking some Quincy photos and the place looks just too beautiful, in either season. That's one of the biggest reasons I want to move up north. The changing scenery is awesome, as well as the temperatures. It's 90 here in PR and you guys are still at the 70s. I'm melting down here.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Oh it is humid here today efrenb5. I am not if this will help you but if there is an area in particular you are looking for and find it any of us that live in Q can probably tell you if it is an okay neighborhood...just send out a DM.
Probably better to hear it from someone before you make a commitment.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Don't worry about that. Once I start looking at possible apts, I'll be sure to run it by the awesome crowd at City-Data. It's always wise to ask for a local's point of view about wherever.

Right now I'm trying to learn about MA and try to absorb as much as possible, so I don't feel THAT strange once I start visiting and looking at different apts.

Also, here in PR it's almost always above 80% humidity, even over 90%, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
Another thing that is kinda worrying for me is the walking to the T. The description says: "10 min walk to the T". I check on google and it looks so far! I think it's just my mind looking at the map and getting the wrong perception.
Assuming you walk at a reasonably brisk pace, figure on around 8-12 minutes per half mile, depending on how many lights you may have to wait for. Anything much over half a mile from the T may feel a bit far when there is pouring rain or slushy/icy sidewalks.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Get a folding grocery cart like this one:

Amazon.com: Folding Grocery Cart - White- Laundry Cart (White Cart) (37.5"h): Kitchen & Dining

My mom used these for years. We never had a car growing up in the city and she'd cart home the groceries in these carts. They fold up so you can store them easily.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Get a folding grocery cart like this one:

Amazon.com: Folding Grocery Cart - White- Laundry Cart (White Cart) (37.5"h): Kitchen & Dining

My mom used these for years. We never had a car growing up in the city and she'd cart home the groceries in these carts. They fold up so you can store them easily.
I can still remember being too tired to walk home and Mom would put me and my brother in that cart too! Standing at an angle...head barely popping up over the side. No wonder why my Mom was skinnier than me!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 PM

39 posts, read 46,543 times
Yeah, no car in Boston can be a pain especially if you're used to driving everywhere and buying groceries. Whole paychecks in the Boston area is expensive.

If anyone is interested in getting together to go to Costco to buy in bulk, I'd be interested in joining. I already have membership, just no car. The closest Costco to me is in Everett. Message me if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts