Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM

44 posts, read 137,791 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Maui in a month and a half. I AM MOVING TO MAUI IN A MONTH AND A HALF!!!!
I have been reading a TON of posts, and am beginning to see the same picture. You can polish a turd, but its still a piece of ****....Having said that....I was born in Moscow, Russia, in 1978. Communist prime time. I lived in Moscow until the age 13, when my parents sat me down, and told me we were moving to the USA, and I had a day to say goodbye to all my friends...
That was tough...Moving to NYC was a whole different challenge.
Before I move on, I must first say that there are crooks and robbers EVERYWHERE! I am well aware of them, and that is why I am still alive today.
The move to Maui has a lot to do with me being a part of something. Something I can really sink my teeth into! And by saying that, I was only a tourist once, 3 years ago, when I came to Maui for 2 weeks. The place touched me like no other! The first day, the first hour in fact, I met two locals (around 5:30 AM), and the accepted me just for what I was, a living, breathing human being! Not some tourist, whiteboy or whatever you want to call it. I spent a week in Kihei, and I met a lot of great people, that I hope are still there. I remember the drum circle, and how some guy just handed me a drum....That's acceptance! I have been through more **** in my life than majority of people in this round world, and I am the sum of my experiences. If Plato could eat mushrooms, live in a barrel and still be well known today, than why can't I? I have a lot of computer experience, and what I find funny is: why don't people use the Internet to make a living? One can easily learn how to make all the money you need LEGALLY, and live how you want. Using the Internet is going to be a big part of my plan, but working on the water is the main. i am not fancy, I'll cook a fillet minion as well as shovel **** to get by.
What I really find to be funny is: Why use this tool(message board) to try to dismay someones dream. If you can put the pieces together to make a big move, you should know exactly what the next 10 steps are. If not, try moving to an inner city ghetto, and see if you can make it there for at least a year. I did, and I still get invited to BBQ's in neighborhoods where I am pigmentally challenged.
In short, it's not your color, height, weight or age. IT"S YOU!!! If I am going to struggle to survive someplace, I want to at leas earn my sunset every evening.
A friend of mine moved to the Big Island 5 years ago, and that's what he told me: I work hard to live in a small box, but at the end of the day, I have a palm tree to lean against, and crack a beer. That makes it worth it. At least to me. I am not moving to the islands to be a pest, but a brace to the community. That's why I know I will be OK.
Whats your plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Well, best of luck to you. Please note that "making a living from the internet" usually involves shipping products or offering services and profiting from it, and shipping costs to and from the Islands are a significant challenge to such operations.

This board isn't meant to shatter anyone's dream, but to provide realistic advice, both pro and con, to moving to the Islands. I maintain it's a lot like moving to another country. There are many deep-rooted mainlanders who love the idea of such a move, but the practicality of making a living, raising kids among schools that are more often than not substandard, buying a home in an overpriced market, and distance from family and friends are subjects that need to be well thought out and understood instead of ignored by "paradise blindness." Hawai'i isn't all mai tais and sand. Most people have to work to make a living, even in paradise.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

By all means I agree, that's why I said I want to earn my sunset. Thats my goal. I have done hard, manual labor most of my life, and it makes me feel alive. I was just recently let go from Unisys, a Global meatgrinder. I rode the desk doing tech support for the 48 Municipal Agencies of the City of Chicago. WORST JOB EVER!!!! But, I outlasted 99% of the people that were there when I started. I hated the job I had to do, becaus it really opened my eyes to how screwed the Government Machine is. I have 2 degrees, so I know what Higher Education is. But I am a student of Life, and I am moving on. I came to Rochester 12 years ago to visit a buddy, and ended up sticking around...So, I am not the one to run just because life gets tough. Life is tough, and its not going to get easier.
For me, looking out my window at an urban anthill or a beach, if life is going to be tough, I choose the beach! You feel me?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Please note that "making a living from the internet" usually involves shipping products or offering services and profiting from it, and shipping costs to and from the Islands are a significant challenge to such operations.
Lemme tellya, Huey, that's old school thinking.

What you do now, see, is arrange for your goods to be stocked at a fulfillment center in an advantageous centralized shipping hub like Memphis... ummmmm... make that Reno... and then run the bidness from wherever, via the internets.

At least, that's what it says here, in this book about it all I bought from a website.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Good one!
But the reality of this is, I am int Graphic Design an Web Development. Not as glamorous, but no shipping required. Actually, I can make Designs without an Internet Connection. This is 2011, and its a Brave New World!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Please keep us updated as to how it all goes. Good luck in Maui!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Will do!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Lemme tellya, Huey, that's old school thinking.

What you do now, see, is arrange for your goods to be stocked at a fulfillment center in an advantageous centralized shipping hub like Memphis... ummmmm... make that Reno... and then run the bidness from wherever, via the internets.

At least, that's what it says here, in this book about it all I bought from a website.

I do see the "ISOLDIT" franchises on eBay, and they take part of the cut for listing and selling items, so yes, it can be done cheaply. I guess I was gently goading the OP for a few more details.

His patter reminds me of the late 90's, where everyone wuz gonna get rich off this internets thingy.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Ebay is for armatures....I'd rather go door to door to sell steak! (been there, done that....)

Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill fantom View Post
Ebay is for armatures....I'd rather go door to door to sell steak! (been there, done that....)
That was merely an example to illustrate OpenD's point about decentralized shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: