Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 PM

19 posts, read 21,276 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker here. After following this forum for the last year, I haven't really noticed many people discuss about living in Kahului. I imagine with all the big stores here, lower priced real estate (compared to the rest of the island), and only a 20-30 min drive to the popular beaches, that more folks would want to live here?? Does it have to do with the weather?

As for ourselves, wife and I (no kids) have been to the 4 main Hawaiian islands and absolutely love Maui. Only driven through Kahului after landing at the airport. Planning a 2 week stay in Maui (1 wk in Kahului and 1 wk in Lahaina) this Sept to get a better feel of the area. We're both from CA and share the dream of moving to Hawaii in ~3 yrs depending on the job market. We're both Pharmacists and have been saving and carefully researching. Any insight or further recs would be appreciated.

Lastly, thanks everyone for all of the useful info and posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM

127 posts, read 180,251 times
First of all, I just had a bag of Cheetos for breakfast, because of your handle...yum. I don't know anyone who lives in Kahului, but I know a lot of people that work there so maybe it's more of a working town? I noticed some newer apts for rent by the Queen K mall, but from what I've seen the houses are larger to accommodate multi-generations, so not sure what size of housing you are after. It doesn't rain a lot here in Kihei (although we are having rain today), but I think it rains almost everyday in Kahului, briefly. There are some nice beaches over there and further down Hana. Heck, you'll be within 30-60 minutes of a lot of beaches on the island. Everyone has their faves...I live 5 minutes from mine.

I think you and your wife will be OK with finding Pharmacist jobs here, especially if they expand the medical center - but three years is a long time to predict what will be available. If you are a retail pharmacist, I think there are good options here.

You are smart to start your planning now. Maybe the dream will fade away at times, I know it did for me....but I stuck with it and eventually moved here this year after much planning and researching. Keep on lurking - you'll be able to form your own opinion and make a decision with the input and guidance from others.

Good luck and happy planning!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 AM

11 posts, read 21,006 times
Back in the early 50s, residential Kahului was created as "Dream City."
There are those dream city residential areas with single family homes, some areas are very respectable & nice, but Kahului is mainly a place of commerce.
Also lots of homeless & meth, sadly.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
I think the reason you don't have many people talking up Kahului is that it doesn't have much charm or anything that makes it feel "special".

You'd be conveniently located with easy access to many different parts of the island and lots of retail, but from what I've seen driving through the neighborhoods, it's mostly kind of bland, cinderblock homes without much in the way of topography and no ocean views that I could see.

I'd label at as working class and not exactly the idyllic setting that people dream of when they think about moving to Maui.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Nobody really *wants* to live in a strip mall and industrial town

Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 AM

231 posts, read 849,390 times
Kahului is basically a convenient place to live.. We are in a planned community and mostly enjoy the closeness to daily activities..

It hardly ever rains in Kahului, maybe a bit more in upper Wailuku? Or over in Waihu...

Main part of Kahului is pretty old and run down... If you get into a newer neighborhood it's basically nice..

I like Kahului better than Kihei, but of course would much rather be in Wailea or Kaanapali/Kapalua if I didn't work on this side....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui