Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

A month ago a lady named Moreira Monsalve went missing in Kahului and has yet to be found Family of "Mo" Reflects on One Month Missing | Maui Now

A week ago a Charli Scott disappeared, a pregnant 27 year old. Her boyfriend last saw her 4Runner following him near Twin Falls along the road to Hana. The SUV was found, torched.
Missing Maui woman's car found burnt, on side - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Search continues in Maui for missing pregnant woman

There's also a case of a man who imprisoned a woman for two weeks and repeatedly raped her. By some miracle he decided to let her go rather than murder her. In December the same guy raped another woman but charges were dropped because the prosecution "couldn't prove beyond reasonable doubt" that he was guilty. Kidnap, assault charges mirror different case - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

The public mood seems to be "things like this just don't happen here". This is a small community, you take for granted that it's safe. Missing persons are normally cases of suicide or somebody falling off a cliff. So it's really strange to have several kidnappings/murders within a couple months. At this rate we'll be like a Caribbean island pretty soon.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 02-17-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Sad as it is, this doesn't surprise me one bit. There are stories like that on Kaua'i every now and then--the current ongoing one is neverforgetsandyg.com. It's just a human thing. Despite the Aloha spirit and a culture of family and inclusion, there is still plenty of poverty, low education, drugs, drug dealing, and the usual percentage of deviants as in any human population. A lot of these are likely crimes of passion and desperation.

Sadly, I hear every now and then that there cases of child molestation that go unreported in these tightly knit communities.

The one that did strike me as odd was a bank robbery in Kapa'a last month. That's the first one I can remember in 10 years here. Just where did the robber think he would run away to for a few thousand dollars? The insularity usually means we don't have crimes such as car theft or car jackings. Most of the crime is petty crime such as tools being stolen from garages.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
And don't forget about Laura Vogel, who went missing 4 years ago in the same area as Charli Scott - somewhere along the Hana Hwy.
Woman disappears after leaving for camping trip - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

Old 03-03-2014, 01:11 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
I found these statistics. Out of 44 reported rapes in 2009, there were 16 arrests, and out of those only 1 conviction http://www.isotov.com/Crime2011.pdf

Maybe if the police and prosecutor took rape and domestic violence seriously, these women wouldn't have gone missing. It's unbelievable that the rapist I posted about in the OP was let go because the prosecutors thought they couldn't get him convicted, and ended up kidnapping a woman for two weeks a few months later.

The news on Maui didn't even report that case http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/woma...sture/20854806

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I don't know the details of any of these cases but there are protections in our constitution that favors the accused over the accuser. Things like a presumption of innocence and guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The price we pay for those protections is that guilty people slip through the system. It is not a perfect system; it cannot be since humans are involved and we are far from perfection. But all that being said, if more people slip through the cracks here than the state average, or even the national average than perhaps there is some element of incompetence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: