Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 PM

177 posts, read 338,689 times

Advertisements

Aloha and Mahalo to all my fellow posters that have answered my questions. We arrived last Wednesday evening. Staying in a Kihei VRBO while looking for a more permanent rental for two retired 60+ midwesterners. We did not bring our car over but arranged for a new purchase here. Scion Xb so we could take advantage of the Markets as sellers and buyers. Not terribly small not supper large but can hold a table or two. It is also fixed price so it was not much more than on the mainland. Maui Toyota held if for us for a $200 deposit for almost two months. sale went through in less than one day and plates came the same day. Found location to store purchased container (to be delivered Monday) awaiting delivery of container from Mainland (Dec 1) tnen the second part of the work begins transferring the contents.

A word to the wise Matson keeps the containers on the wheels so the floor of thebox is around 54" from the ground Plan on that.

For my fellow posters that replied with various answers and offers I will be contacting them when things settle down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Congratulations! Sounds like a busy time, but you won't have to worry about shoveling snow!

When they deliver your container won't they take it off the wheels? Guess you'd better put it where you want it to stay for awhile.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Aloha and Mahalo to all my fellow posters that have answered my questions. We arrived last Wednesday evening. Staying in a Kihei VRBO while looking for a more permanent rental for two retired 60+ midwesterners. We did not bring our car over but arranged for a new purchase here. Scion Xb so we could take advantage of the Markets as sellers and buyers. Not terribly small not supper large but can hold a table or two. It is also fixed price so it was not much more than on the mainland. Maui Toyota held if for us for a $200 deposit for almost two months. sale went through in less than one day and plates came the same day. Found location to store purchased container (to be delivered Monday) awaiting delivery of container from Mainland (Dec 1) tnen the second part of the work begins transferring the contents.

A word to the wise Matson keeps the containers on the wheels so the floor of thebox is around 54" from the ground Plan on that.

For my fellow posters that replied with various answers and offers I will be contacting them when things settle down a little.
Congratulations on your move to Maui! I don't think I would ever missing the snow and cold after living in the upper midwest my whole life. For me, the only place to see that misery is on the national TV news.

How much were your moving costs? Do you have any advice from things you did right and mistakes you may have made in the moving process?

How many times did you visit Maui before making the move?

I have heard of ramps that are available for rent to move the contents yourself. Or, maybe you could hire a local moving company to move the contents of the shipping container to your new place and/or a more permanent storage center. You said you purchased the shipping container. How does that work? I thought the shipping container was rented for a limited time and the contents would have to be emptied relatively soon to avoid more shipping container rental costs. Or, can you buy the container and sell it back to the shipping company to give you more time to unload the container?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
wow..have fun...lived in Kihei many moons ago back in the late 70s early 80s.....beautiful place...

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
I know that things are expensive in Hawaii, even more so on Maui, and vowels are costly, but couldn't you afford an 'E'?

(or did the cannibals get it,,,, already)

'Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel'

'Contestant, you're on Maui now, you CAN'T afford a vowel!'

Uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, hope this helps

Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I know that things are expensive in Hawaii, even more so on Maui, and vowels are costly, but couldn't you afford an 'E'?

(or did the cannibals get it,,,, already)

'Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel'

'Contestant, you're on Maui now, you CAN'T afford a vowel!'

Uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, hope this helps
"When people run in circles it's a very, very
Mad world....."

Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 PM

52 posts, read 89,758 times
YAY !!! Welcome to the end of your long road of planning (most likely)!!! Glad you're here : ) Enjoy and keep in touch!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM

127 posts, read 180,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post

Welcome to paradise! Best of luck in your transition here. I live in Kihei too...let us know if you need any tips, if you haven't found them already on our forum.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I have heard of ramps that are available for rent to move the contents yourself. Or, maybe you could hire a local moving company to move the contents of the shipping container to your new place and/or a more permanent storage center. You said you purchased the shipping container.
How does that work? I thought the shipping container was rented for a limited time and the contents would have to be emptied relatively soon to avoid more shipping container rental costs.
You missed a beat in the OP's message. The empty container he bought for storage is being delivered Monday. They usually come on a roll-off flatbed and get placed on the ground.

The Matson container with their goods in it will be delivered Dec 1, and will remain on a truck bed while they empty it. When they go to a store with a loading dock it is at truck height so it can be unloaded with a pallet jack or fork lift. Some tool rental places have metal ramps you can rent to handtruck stuff down to the ground if you don't have a loading dock.

Quote:
Or, can you buy the container and sell it back to the shipping company to give you more time to unload the container?
You can rent the Matson container for additional time if needed. There are brokers who buy and sell used containers. Most of those sold for storage are no longer certified for shipping, and are cheaper than the ones that can be shipped.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 PM

177 posts, read 338,689 times
OK: to answers some questions

Visited Islands twice.
My laptop keyboard sticks some times so some misspellings are a mechanical fault the rest is my fault. fat stiff fingers and my poor spelling only to be matched by my poor penmanship.

You can buy containers from Affordable Portable Housing in Oahu they refurbish and modify them and then ship them to the other Islands.

The Matson container stay on their chassis the purchased ones are delivered with a roll-off flatbed truck You need to make plans to shift its position and level it.

You cannot ship your own container they need to be certified seaworthy and that has a limited life.

You have about 5 days on either end of the trip to load and unload the container.

It cost about $13000 + shipping supplies

The container on the wheels has a floor level of 54" from the road level so you need to plan for that. If you are packing yourself Buy plenty of load binders and padding. Space plan the trailer and package everything before it arrives. Standardize box sizes so nesting is easy. Plan on how you are going to get the heavy stuff moved in the trailer.

Normal truck ramps for pickups don't work they are designed for 30" to 36" tailgate height the ramp needs to be about 20' long for a reasonable slope.

If your planning on using a flat bed tow truck you will need a 10" ramp to make up the height difference A u-haul with a lift ramp can help in loading load the U-Haul with the lift ramp back them up against each other and transfer the contents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: