Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:05 PM

44 posts, read 130,965 times

Advertisements

Accustomed to numerous 2-lane hwys and coastal roads in CA yet finding Pi'ilani hwy incredibly unsafe. Too many SUVs/4x4s going 60+ mph in the left lanes and wide turns.

Is there any publicly accessible data online which tracks the frequency of accidents along Pi'ilani hwy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 04:22 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
You'll know there's been a bad accident on the Pali if you're either leaving Lahaina or trying to get there from the other side.

Piilani Fatal Accident | Maui Now

Idiot drivers don't make it any better, and with the whale watching season fast approaching....... I think the whales put on a show right off the Pali in hopes of creating sufficient distraction for tourists, causing them to stop, AND I DO MEAN STOP, on the side of the, but not completely off the, road, causing an accident. Then it's simply a chain reaction.. My all time favorite is still the semi truck with the load of coconut trees on the way to Lahaina. That was a Maui classic.

'EH!! Kimo!! You sure you wen an tie down ALL da trees befor we wen leave Waikapu?'

'Ye! Well, pretty sure....'

Coconut trees at a 30 degree angle to a semi trailer and a tunnel just don't mix. Blend, maybe, but mix, no way.

Damned whales, what did we ever do to them?????

Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Why is everyone in such a hurry in Maui. You need less hustle and bustle. Come to Oahu.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Why is everyone in such a hurry in Maui. You need less hustle and bustle. Come to Oahu.
You've read some of the vacation itineraries of the various folks planning their five day three Island tour, do the math.

'All right honey,,,, we've only got ten hours left on Maui, and, I know you're not feeling too well after all that teriyaki chicken and those mai tais last night, HOWEVER,,, we only have ten hours left. SO, GRAB THE KEYS TO THE MUSTANG!! AND,

6:00am, upon leaving the Sheraton Maui,
1.)Drive to Hana, take pictures
2.)Drive to Haleakala, take pictures
3.)Drive to Iao Needle, take pictures
4.)Drive to the Shoppes at Wailea, buy a $20 gallon of milk
10:00am

you get the idea

Some tourist a**hole passed me on friggin Kihei Road a while back, just before Foodland, and I was driving the Elise. If I had been in my truck, I would have, shifted into compound low.....

Old 11-22-2014, 05:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You've read some of the vacation itineraries of the various folks planning their five day three Island tour, do the math.
True. Some of the itineraries on here make me exhausted just reading them.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
Lost a friend (John Barbieri) on the Pali because he was passing on a blind curve. Sad.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 PM

127 posts, read 180,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You'll know there's been a bad accident on the Pali if you're either leaving Lahaina or trying to get there from the other side.

Piilani Fatal Accident | Maui Now

Idiot drivers don't make it any better, and with the whale watching season fast approaching....... I think the whales put on a show right off the Pali in hopes of creating sufficient distraction for tourists, causing them to stop, AND I DO MEAN STOP, on the side of the, but not completely off the, road, causing an accident. Then it's simply a chain reaction.. My all time favorite is still the semi truck with the load of coconut trees on the way to Lahaina. That was a Maui classic.

'EH!! Kimo!! You sure you wen an tie down ALL da trees befor we wen leave Waikapu?'

'Ye! Well, pretty sure....'

Coconut trees at a 30 degree angle to a semi trailer and a tunnel just don't mix. Blend, maybe, but mix, no way.

Damned whales, what did we ever do to them?????
Brah....totally on point. Since last week, I think I've had 10 near misses on the Pali on the way home because the whales are around now. Thankfully (or maybe not...depending on the driver) I was on the commuter bus. I try to get on the bus before sunset, because people just make that sharp pullover, to your point JJ, just to get that shot without realizing it's a HIGHWAY. My favorite is when they are West bound, and run across the road. Guess their common sense is also on vacation.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 PM

127 posts, read 180,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Lost a friend (John Barbieri) on the Pali because he was passing on a blind curve. Sad.
Sorry for your loss...

Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Hula View Post
Sorry for your loss...
Thanks, it was a long time ago. If it's still happening it means they haven't done the center barrier they often talked about. Maui time runs slowly....

Old 11-22-2014, 09:04 PM

It actually means people still drive like idiots, even more so when on vacation, because,

1.) They don't know where they are
2.) The don't know where they're going, and, to make matters worse, don't know how to get there
3.) They're in a hurry
4.) They're on vacation, as in on leave, which, unfortunately, often equates to taking leave of their senses, if only for a week or two
5. ) They still have an ounce or two of cheap rum somewhere between their brain and liver from the previous night

And, THEY DON'T GIVE A SH*T. THEY'RE ON VACATION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui