Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 32,629 times

Advertisements

I've lived in a Kula for over 25 years. My kids were born and raised in a Kula. We owned a gallery in Makawao and I was also a school tutor. We are not all farmers. I do have friends who are longtime farmers; some are onion farmers, some are persimmon farmers, some are strawberry, corn, and pumpkin growers, some are flower growers, etc. What do you want to know?

The lifestyle up here is tranquil and laid back. Early to bed, early to rise kind of community. Not the place to live if you want nightlife or shopping malls. Great place to raise kids. Gorgeous views and cooler temperatures.

I would say that Oprah has impacted the Keokea area of Kula, to a certain degree. Her estate is at the end of Thompson Road in Keokea, a road that has been a popular walking and biking road for locals for years. Since her arrival on a Maui, the rental car traffic on it has increased greatly. Frequently, when I'm walking it, I get stopped by a tourist car, asking which house is Oprah's. When Michelle Obama was in town a couple of years ago, visiting Oprah, the Secret Service actually closed access to the last part of the road, much to the chagrin of many regular Thompson Road walkers and bikers! Many of us do see her, from time to time, on our walks and there is concern that she is trying to acquire ALL of the properties along that road, which could mean that perhaps she could turn it private at some point?? I'm not sure about the logistics of that but certainly hope it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 178,895 times
I knew that oprah had an influence over Kula.

I'd like a small farm in the area.
Does Oprah live in upper Kula?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 AM

Is there something in particular that you want to grow? And, no, Oprah's property is not in Upper Kula but in an area called Keokea. You have to drive through this small community to get to Ulupalakua Ranch and Maui's only winery, Maui Wine.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:37 AM

I'm looking to have a quintessential farm, but this will be a self sustainable, perhaps solar/wind off grid, gentlemen farm.
I want to grow as many varieties of fruits and vegetables as I can while have farm animals on the property.
Would like at least 100 acres, but perhaps that would be more feasible in the big Island than in Maui, though I found a private secluded 110 acre property in Hana.

I will not be working the land day to day, as I may hire a domestic couple who will live there full time year 'round.

Feelings on Hana?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 AM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
I'm looking to have a quintessential farm, but this will be a self sustainable, perhaps solar/wind off grid, gentlemen farm.
I want to grow as many varieties of fruits and vegetables as I can while have farm animals on the property.
Would like at least 100 acres, but perhaps that would be more feasible in the big Island than in Maui, though I found a private secluded 110 acre property in Hana.

I will not be working the land day to day, as I may hire a domestic couple who will live there full time year 'round.

Feelings on Hana?
with enough money to buy 100 acres and some domestics to work the farm for you, you should get into your fat wallet and spring for a trip and investigate the areas for yourself. boots on the ground is the only way you will find the answers you seek.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
with enough money to buy 100 acres and some domestics to work the farm for you, you should get into your fat wallet and spring for a trip and investigate the areas for yourself. boots on the ground is the only way you will find the answers you seek.
How does this answer my question.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
How does this answer my question.
doesn't matter how many opinions you get from people you will never really know until you get there and see for yourself.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Sorry, I can't give you much feedback on Hana. My husband and kids love it out there. I never go because I can't stand the car ride. It does seem that you'd benefit by spending some time out here in both places and getting a "feel" for the land and people. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui