Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM

142 posts, read 123,507 times

Advertisements

Wife and I
Mother in law
4 year old boy

We are looking at locations for our first trip as a family to Maui

Looking for a condo or some location with a kitchen. Don't want to use a hotel as we want two separate bedrooms to give the wife and I some privacy and i don't want to pay two separate resort fees!!

Can't use AIR BNB because I want to use my credit card points for our stay

Our son is adventurous and loves the outdoors, swimming splashing around, frisbees and stuff like that No beaches with big waves as I want him to stay safe near the waters edge. We will be with at all times but i want him to enjoy splashing around

What are the main difference between the Lahaina and kihei beach areas? Is one of them more kid friendly?

We will have a car with us

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post

What are the main difference between the Lahaina and kihei beach areas? Is one of them more kid friendly?
Lahaina doesn't have a beach - you'll always have to drive. Kihei gives you the possibility to walk to the beach and is more central.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply

Only someone mentioned the baby beach, Lahaina in a prevous thread and so i thought there were beaches in the area

Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Yes, there is a small beach - not the size of Kihei or Kaanapali

Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
"Lahaina" is an area covered by two zipcodes that extends all the way north to Kapalua. You might check what area you are considering as lots of places say Lahaina but are actually in Honokowai, Kahana, Napili etc.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Baby beach is big enough and a great spot for kids. Lahaina side also has many beaches just farther up the road. However any beach Lahaina or Kihei will be as rough or calm as that days weather. Baby beach always calm and protected from big waves

Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
My opinions:
Kihei has rougher water, is much drier than West Maui, and many condos are across the busy road from the beaches. Also has more "shark encounters".
Wailea is nicer but much more expensive.

I personally would not stay in Lahaina. Hot, crowded, limited beaches, etc. Drive there as needed.
Further North, Honokowai and Kahana are less expensive areas in West Maui but are still very nice.
Kaanapali, Napili, and Kapalua are more expensive. All are 10-20 minutes drive from Lahaina.

Kaanapali Royal is a nice complex with all two-bedroom units. It is behind the hotels on a golf course so the ocean view is limited but is a short walk to Kaanapali Beach. There are several high-end ocean-front condo buildings in Kaanapali as well.

Honokowai has low-rise buildings, mostly 2-4 story with small beaches and awesome views. It also has a supermarket and a number of restaurants and businesses. Good values here!

Kahana area has high-rise towers so congestion is greater. Several restaurants here too.

Napili has a great beach but many studio units. Probably not many two-bedroom condos. Two restaurants.

Kapalua has lots of nice condos but they are typically at the top of the price scale. Many are clifftop or golf course locations. Water can be rough here too. More wind and rain as well.

Good luck and have a great time!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My opinions:
Kihei has rougher water, is much drier than West Maui, and many condos are across the busy road from the beaches. Also has more "shark encounters".
Wailea is nicer but much more expensive.

I personally would not stay in Lahaina. Hot, crowded, limited beaches, etc. Drive there as needed.
Further North, Honokowai and Kahana are less expensive areas in West Maui but are still very nice.
Kaanapali, Napili, and Kapalua are more expensive. All are 10-20 minutes drive from Lahaina.

Kaanapali Royal is a nice complex with all two-bedroom units. It is behind the hotels on a golf course so the ocean view is limited but is a short walk to Kaanapali Beach. There are several high-end ocean-front condo buildings in Kaanapali as well.

Honokowai has low-rise buildings, mostly 2-4 story with small beaches and awesome views. It also has a supermarket and a number of restaurants and businesses. Good values here!

Kahana area has high-rise towers so congestion is greater. Several restaurants here too.

Napili has a great beach but many studio units. Probably not many two-bedroom condos. Two restaurants.

Kapalua has lots of nice condos but they are typically at the top of the price scale. Many are clifftop or golf course locations. Water can be rough here too. More wind and rain as well.

Good luck and have a great time!
Great, thanks for all that info. Will have a look around those places this weekend and see what I can find online

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My opinions:
Kihei has rougher water,
Really? Channels between West Maui and Molokai aren't named the Ka Iwi and Pailolo for nothing. Some of the nastiest waters in the state. Waters off Kihei are generally much calmer.

But don't tell anyone

Old 04-19-2018, 12:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Really? Channels between West Maui and Molokai aren't named the Ka Iwi and Pailolo for nothing. Some of the nastiest waters in the state. Waters off Kihei are generally much calmer.

But don't tell anyone
Chances are, the 4 year old won't be swimming out in those channels. I was referring to the water along the beaches (but you knew that). I have experienced much rougher waves and stronger currents along the Kam beaches and at Big Beach than at Kaanapali, Honokowai, Kahana, Napili, or Kapalua Bay. West Maui beaches seem more kid-friendly to me until you reach D.T Fleming Beach in Kapalua and north of there.
After many trips to South and West Maui, I chose to live on the west side because of the beaches and the more tropical climate. Again, my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui