Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,166 times

Advertisements

I love Maui, and considering purchasing a vacation home on the big island based on the prices. What are the tradeoffs, going for the first time in January to home search. The leander said that the insurance costs would be high on the big island and that would off set the lower price of the homes on the big island. She suggested buying on Maui or Oahu. I would not like Oahu, too overrun.

The Big Island appears to have more lava features, but how are the beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantracer1 View Post

but how are the beaches.
If beaches are a high priority in your decision making - then the Big Island may not be for you. Beaches are typically few and far between compared to Maui. You may have to take a lengthy drive depending on where you are to get to a good beach.....

Old 12-21-2018, 10:43 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
There are different lava zones on the Big Island, depending on proximity to rift zones and likeliness of losing your property to a lava flow. Maybe your lender doesn't understand that.

But you really need to understand the differences between Maui and the Big Island and why the lower prices. It's much more than just the lava. Also, there is a new law regulating vacation homes on the BI, so your options will be more restricted.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:52 PM

175 posts, read 183,142 times
Maui & the Big Island are my favorite islands. It's very hard to say which one I like more.

The Big Island might not have a lot of beaches but the very few it does have blows away most other beaches in the other islands. And I'm saying this as a Maui homeowner.

Kau Bay, Hapuna & Mauna Kea beaches are glorious.

The Big Island has a lot of contrasts. Beaches of all sorts of colors, active volcanoes, barren desert and lush rain forests.

I think if you're into the outdoors, like hiking, etc. you're better off on the Big Island.

If you enjoy better restaurants / amenities, then Maui would be best.

I bought in Maui because it is the most balanced island out of the main 4.

the one problem with the big island, though, is the vog. although when vog is not an issue, the big island is beautiful. the second to last i went to the big island, the weather was perfect almost everywhere. absolutely amazing seeing clear blue skies, the deep blue ocean... the ocean breeze, etc.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 PM

416 posts, read 408,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Maui & the Big Island are my favorite islands. It's very hard to say which one I like more.

The Big Island might not have a lot of beaches but the very few it does have blows away most other beaches in the other islands. And I'm saying this as a Maui homeowner.

Kau Bay, Hapuna & Mauna Kea beaches are glorious.

The Big Island has a lot of contrasts. Beaches of all sorts of colors, active volcanoes, barren desert and lush rain forests.

I think if you're into the outdoors, like hiking, etc. you're better off on the Big Island.

If you enjoy better restaurants / amenities, then Maui would be best.

I bought in Maui because it is the most balanced island out of the main 4.

the one problem with the big island, though, is the vog. although when vog is not an issue, the big island is beautiful. the second to last i went to the big island, the weather was perfect almost everywhere. absolutely amazing seeing clear blue skies, the deep blue ocean... the ocean breeze, etc.

Did the sugar cane burning ever get to be an issue on Maui? I lucked out and was never there when it was happening but always wondered if the smoke nailed certain neighborhoods.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Did the sugar cane burning ever get to be an issue on Maui? I lucked out and was never there when it was happening but always wondered if the smoke nailed certain neighborhoods.
Although no longer an issue - since well, it closed down - it was a fairly constant issue when it occurred.

https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/...940-015-0067-y

Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 AM

416 posts, read 408,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Although no longer an issue - since well, it closed down - it was a fairly constant issue when it occurred.

https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/...940-015-0067-y
Interesting link. Thanks.

Who knew that particulates in the air exacerbated respiratory conditions. (sarcasm)

How often is VOG really an issue on Maui?

Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post

How often is VOG really an issue on Maui?
VOG isn't an issue anywhere at the moment since none of the volcano's are particularly active at the moment.

Maui's biggest problem is if Haleakala fires back up, it is still an active Volcano - many people don't realize that

Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
VOG isn't an issue anywhere at the moment since none of the volcano's are particularly active at the moment.

Maui's biggest problem is if Haleakala fires back up, it is still an active Volcano - many people don't realize that
Of the things I worry about here on Maui, Haleakala is way down on that list. Here are a few concerns I have...

- Hurricanes. They twirl around the central pacific every year and you never know when one will hit, although it's been 30 years since the last direct hit of the islands. But we get remnants often. Just think about hurricanes when you buy a house. Roads get washed out, trees blow onto houses. Stuff like that.

- Health care industry here. If you're healthy all is fine. If you have some issues you may have to go off-island. My wife had to have surgery on the mainland recently. It is not big city medicine here.

- Fragile ecosystem. We are constantly dealing with invasive species, local endangered species, dying coral, too many tourists, too little water for all the demands on it, what to do with sewage and trash.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Of the things I worry about here on Maui, Haleakala is way down on that list.
I can see that....

Although, it generally erupts every 200-500 years and the last eruption happened between 1480 and 1600. The clock is ticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui