Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 15,937 times

Advertisements

I am recently engaged and my fiance and myself are trying to put our ducks in a row in order to make to move to Maui and build a home. We have a 4 year old daughter so location to build needs to reflect a good safe environment for her schooling and play. I am an Electrical Contractor wanting to bring my business with us which involves me running a service van until I can hire more help. Does any one have suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
how much property do you want and how big is your budget. do you want to be near the beach? in a neighborhood?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Honestly we have a modest budget nothing extraordinary by any lengths! Some where off the beaten path maybe a half acre or so in a nice green area or small sub division I guess but not to far away from things. I would love to build on the beach but that will have to be a dream in waiting. Just moving to Maui is amazing!!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Man & Family View Post
Honestly we have a modest budget nothing extraordinary by any lengths! Some where off the beaten path maybe a half acre or so in a nice green area or small sub division I guess but not to far away from things. I would love to build on the beach but that will have to be a dream in waiting. Just moving to Maui is amazing!!
have you checked the maui MLS? modest is unheard of here. 1/2 acre off the beaten path is gonna cost at least 450.000 a lot in a subdvision maybe 325,000 give or take. building cost last I checked were at least 250.00 a foot something like that. check out the real estate sites to get a better idea. delmore realestate has a nice site with good MLs search feature as does the century21 all islands site.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Check to see if your license will transfer to Hawaii, they don't always so you may not be able to bring your business with you.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM

My lic. wont transfer but I will just retest under Hawaii's code. Im not to worried about that end Colorado has the hardest contractors testing in the nation and I aced the test. Good call though, Thanks

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks, I did find a 1/2 acre 30 mins from the Main airport off the road to Hana that was in our price range. Is this a dissent place to build though?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:53 AM

there are some nice spots along the way to hana, what town does the address give?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
You won't be able to find the perfect spot over the internet or without going in person. You may be able to find "a" spot, but once you get there you will have such a wider view and much more data to work from that you'd be able to find a much better spot. Many folks rent a vacation rental for the first few weeks to give them a good comfortable "landing pad". From the vacation rental, they will locate a six months rental (unless they can get a really good deal on the vacation rental) and then they look around for where they want to live from there.

All of the islands have all sorts of neighborhoods right next to each other. We don't have many homogenized areas of all one sort of house or even one type of people. There are rich ones next to poor ones and overeducated ones living next door to folks who can't read. Well, can't read English anyway, although they may be able read another language and speak two or three. In each neighborhood there will be nice houses and not so nice houses, the topography is generally not flat so one house will have a great view and get breezes while the next may not.

It is best to not even rent a house unless you have seen it in person, it would be crazy to try to buy something without looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: