Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family with two young children (4 and 2) and are considering a move to Maui. Kihei and Paia are our top contenders at this point. My wife and I work remotely, and therefore have no issue with earning a living on the island.

The only thing really holding us back is a concern regarding the quality of schooling available. A few questions:

1. Are the schools truly that bad?
2. What are the main problems
3. Are drugs a major issue?
4. Should we be very concerned about any racial issues that might be directed against our two blonde kids?
5. Are there things that families do to bolster education of their children?

Comments from anyone that has direct good or bad experience with schools in or near either Kihei or Paia would be very welcome.

It appears that the private options run around $10K per year per child which would stretch our budget.

Thanks in advance for the help.

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM

70 posts, read 288,031 times
Default schools

aloha ...does 2 and a 4 year old go to school at that age ???????

i thought in a few years they do ..i cant image nursery school having any drug problems ,,,

IN FACT I dont THINK THERE IS NO SCHOOL that is IMUNE TO DRUGS ...anywhere in america today...

you wanna help ...dont turn on tv or buy the latest electronic thingie

its been a few years ...
but i actually sat with my kids ..

just my 5 cents worth

dont worry too much about the future enjoy today ...its the only true gift we have

xstonedrocker

Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstonedrocker View Post
aloha ...does 2 and a 4 year old go to school at that age ???????

i thought in a few years they do ..i cant image nursery school having any drug problems ,,,

IN FACT I dont THINK THERE IS NO SCHOOL that is IMUNE TO DRUGS ...anywhere in america today...

you wanna help ...dont turn on tv or buy the latest electronic thingie

its been a few years ...
but i actually sat with my kids ..

just my 5 cents worth

dont worry too much about the future enjoy today ...its the only true gift we have

xstonedrocker
I would LOVE to meet your kids.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Hi daoneil,

You are asking very good questions, but they have been asked & answered many times before on this forum. The questions are very common, every good parent's concern with moving here.

A good start would be to look over and read over the previous posts for even the last few months, to get an idea of the feedback already posted. Then ask some more questions if you still have them.

I'll just answer you 5. Are there things that families do to bolster education of their children?

ALWAYS and ANYWHERE, no matter the quality of the schools. My parents were very active in adding to and overseeing the education of my bother and me. They checked our homework, when we made mistakes, didn't give us the answers but helped us to figure out the right ones. If we didn't have 'enough' homework they gave us extra work. Took us to the library every week. Encouraged a lot of reading, and set that example themselves. Bought us lots of puzzles and constructive, creative toys.

Even in the neighborhood here, when the kids are all paying outside, the adults play some learning games with them. "I spy with my little eye" helps them figure out clues and learn color and notice their surroundings. You can also stop them in their tracks and say, "What color cars are parked behind you?"

Ask them to spell words when you are talking about any subject. Ask them to spell words they already know, but backwards.

Complex memory games, where you give them several tasks and they have to remember and do them, these help with focus and learning. "Take 3 steps backward, then go touch Aunties mailbox, then jump up & down 2 times, then run back here and do a cartwheel." The kids take turns, and they get better & better at it. Encourage them to encourage each other at the game.

Playing math games when running errands - "Let's look for a car license that the numbers add up to 17" "OK we found 17, now find 11" Ready for subtraction?

Many parents claim they don't have time, but what about all those short moments together? The kids love the attention and it seems like play to them.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM

81 posts, read 220,786 times
Best elementary schools, Kula by far, then Haiku, Kamalii, and Pomakai (sp?) are all very good equally. I've heard pretty good things about Pukulani too. If it was me in you shoes, I would do whatever was in my power to secure a house rental in Kula then Haiku, in that order. Just my opinion. Angela

Old 04-09-2010, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,678 times
Thumbs up Still not clear?

I appreciate the replies to this post, but I don't think that this question has been fully answered.

Will children who are transplants into Kihei be treated well?

Will there be any racial issues for white minorities?

I am very curious myself and if anyone has any positive or negative experiences please respond.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoneill View Post
Hi,

We are a family with two young children (4 and 2) and are considering a move to Maui. Kihei and Paia are our top contenders at this point. My wife and I work remotely, and therefore have no issue with earning a living on the island.

The only thing really holding us back is a concern regarding the quality of schooling available. A few questions:

1. Are the schools truly that bad?
2. What are the main problems
3. Are drugs a major issue?
4. Should we be very concerned about any racial issues that might be directed against our two blonde kids?
5. Are there things that families do to bolster education of their children?

Comments from anyone that has direct good or bad experience with schools in or near either Kihei or Paia would be very welcome.

It appears that the private options run around $10K per year per child which would stretch our budget.

Thanks in advance for the help.

D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui