Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times

Advertisements

I was expecting to get paid today after my first 2 weeks working for Maui County. Well it turns out the first paycheck is 1 month after the start date. They delay them 2 weeks because apparently they had a problem with people ripping off the county by taking leave they didn't have at the end of their employment...

Is it just me or is this ridiculous? I generated $6k in debt moving here, maxing out my credit card, and have to borrow money from my parents to pay rent. That might not be so bad if the county wasn't holding on to that first paycheck indefinitely, until the very end of my employment.

Based on my federal gov experience working in Yellowstone I used to defend government when people said it's less efficient than the private sector, has too much bureaucracy, etc. Well now I won't ever make that mistake again.

And I though it was bad that the incompetent MIS department didn't get my network connection set up until 2 weeks after I started...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 PM

68 posts, read 205,971 times
Tough luck for you. Did they inform you of this in any of your new hire paperwork?

The debt you incurred moving here isn't really an important factor to your new employer, everyone should have back up money when they choose to move anywhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM

20 posts, read 102,923 times
I was not under the impression it was unusual to have pay held back for a week or two depending on who you work for. I work for the city where I live, and they hold back a week.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird2020 View Post
Tough luck for you. Did they inform you of this in any of your new hire paperwork?

The debt you incurred moving here isn't really an important factor to your new employer, everyone should have back up money when they choose to move anywhere.
The lady at the mayor's office who gave me my paperwork said there's a delay for getting through the system, but I thought she was talking about the direct deposit setup. She didn't say they purposely delay each paycheck.

No the debt I incurred moving here isn't their concern, and I have no problem with it because it's an investment in my life. But I'm just saying it sucks that I'm literally broke when I would have been fine if I were getting paid at the end of the pay period like most people do.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Another thing is I purposely didn't start work until the beginning of this last pay period. I spent 2 weeks not working because I didn't want to start in the middle of a pay period and cause a big inconvenience to them and create problems for my dept (people in payroll get really upset over that stuff). If I had started a week earlier, I would probably be getting paid now after only 3 weeks.

My opinion of Maui County is pretty low now. A lot of things just make no sense. Like I said, they took 2 weeks to set up my network connection... Why? Because they arbitrarily demand that someone be hired already before they can start the process.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Take a deep breath, let it out slowly and think about the wonderful and nice things around you. Dwelling on "the way things should be" instead of the way things actually are, isn't productive at all around here. They are going to do things the way they do things and nothing you can do will change it. If you try to change it, then things will become worse. So, look around at the good things and concentrate on those.

Just be glad it's a paycheck. If you were invoicing the government around here it would be at least 180 days before you saw any money.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Cool I know it's odd.

Aloha,
I was hired by the State of Hawaii. They don't 'hold', per se, any monies until termination but they do pay two 'pay periods + 5 days out...33 days. So, in actuallity they are 'holding' my one months paycheck. Then, depending on the work load of my Supervisor, I may or may not have any over-time applied to the pay period. Mileage reimbursement takes, literally, five months to receive. My first paycheck was a horrible inconvenience, but I made it. Then, the Governor took 5% on top of that. So, I feel your pain. Now, about 'not wanting to inconvenience them'...well, you'll learn soon enough, that Island employers are no friendlier or accomodating than any Mainland employer. What's good for them is good for them and that's all there is too it. I do believe that there is considerably less intelligence applied to most things in these Islands. I can't put my finger on it but the fact that a complete sentence in proper English is such a rarity it's not that surprising.
I put off submitting paperwork for a transfer to Maui because my dept was short staffed and my boss was stressed out and I wanted to be a 'nice guy' . I was considerate and accomodating...for 3 months. Now that all paperwork is submitted...here I sit being ignored. When I approach HR or my Union all I get is a shrug of the shoulders. Now it's my turn to slip into the drivers seat and make things go 'my way'. It'll happen, just not the way I had hoped. Oh well, live and learn...I had to take off my favorite pair of Rose Colored Glasses and realize that it's just the S.O.S. just a different day and a different Island.
Chin Up...it'll be OK.
Koale

Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Another thing is I purposely didn't start work until the beginning of this last pay period. I spent 2 weeks not working because I didn't want to start in the middle of a pay period and cause a big inconvenience to them and create problems for my dept (people in payroll get really upset over that stuff). If I had started a week earlier, I would probably be getting paid now after only 3 weeks.

My opinion of Maui County is pretty low now. A lot of things just make no sense. Like I said, they took 2 weeks to set up my network connection... Why? Because they arbitrarily demand that someone be hired already before they can start the process.
Things in Hawaii don't operate like on the mainland and at times don't make sense to us transplants. I would just accept it and drive on; it's not personal if they do it to everyone.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM

155 posts, read 544,679 times
Oops! Hit the wrong button. Nevermind.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
That is considered normal at almost any employer. The payroll people need time to get the pay right. In many jobs I have had that paid twice a month (or even bi-weekly) there was a delay just like that. I can only think of one job, which was a salary position, that paid right to the date of the paycheck. Ex: You got paid on the 1st and 15th of every month and the pay period would go through the 1st and 15th. I never could figure out how payroll knew you were on vacation and got the pay correct on the pay stub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: