Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM

231 posts, read 849,642 times

Advertisements

Just got my job offer today for a job in Maui....

Unfortunately, I have to head to Dallas next week for job training and then off to the islands shortly thereafter....

Besides selling a house, selling everything we own, getting a toddler and a dog out there and having the wife do it all, I'll be needing one of our cars out there pretty quick.

So.... best shipping company to use from New York State (Rochester) to Maui...where to drop the car off etc...(hopefully it's near a major airport so I can catch a flight without too large a taxi cab bill.

I know about not bringing lots of stuff to the islands, and have a good grasp of the quarantine info for pets. But don't have a whole lot of time to research things. Right now the car seems to be the most pressing matter.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
I sent you a DM with all the info and links.

If you need more just ask

Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Oh and Congrats on the Job!!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks,

I had pretty much given up on it. Long story but our hopes definitely had been dashed for about a month.. then out of the blue I get a call today. I've got a great college buddy already on Maui with his wife. So it could be perfect.

just have a ton of stuff to sell in garage sales, giving stuff to family, and moving a few personal items to Maui... It definitely will be hectic for a bit. Especially with the wife doing most of it while I'm out in HI working.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Well Iʻve done the garage sales there sold tons of stuff (should have sold tons more) Iʻm thinking of having more here yuk. My recommendations would be to sell more than you think you will need houses are much smaller than there and you donʻt spend 6 months inside every year!

I can strongly defiantly recommend someone not to use as a Realtor in your little burb!

I know your stressing right now about this move but in my view would be to call the vet asap to start that process.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of the winter View Post

just have a ton of stuff to sell in garage sales, giving stuff to family, and moving a few personal items to Maui... It definitely will be hectic for a bit. Especially with the wife doing most of it while I'm out in HI working.
Ah that rings a bell, that's what happened to me! Be prepared to pay dearly for this little arrangement for some time to come. (have wife call me if she needs help on this)

Congratulations!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:37 AM

93 posts, read 165,970 times
Wow, sounds like fun. Always wanted to live out there! Are you gonna buy another house. I have a friend selling theirs out there. Good luck with everything

Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Ship your car with Pasha. If you do a dropoff in Edison NJ the estimated cost is $2247

https://www.pashahawaii.com/POVBooki...CarHawaii.aspx

Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Talked with the car shipper today. Door to door for $2100 and some change. Beats having to drive to the East coast and fly home. Would've been an all day process. Now reduced to nothing but stress-free shipping!!! takes about a month for the car to arrive, sounds like a long time, but it'll work.....

This is the wifes present!!! She had to work while I was layed off for the last 4 months. It was torture (both being a stay at home dad, and her having to work at a windowless office)... I'm pretty much on a "get out of jail free" pass for a bit now

May buy a house, undecided yet, but definitely going to wait for atleast a year before making a decision. Unless something falls in my lap that I can't resist. I've never rented so it'll be tough for a bit knowing my $$ is going towards nothing but someone else's mortgage.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM

91 posts, read 419,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of the winter View Post
Talked with the car shipper today. Door to door for $2100 and some change. Beats having to drive to the East coast and fly home. Would've been an all day process. Now reduced to nothing but stress-free shipping!!! takes about a month for the car to arrive, sounds like a long time, but it'll work.....

This is the wifes present!!! She had to work while I was layed off for the last 4 months. It was torture (both being a stay at home dad, and her having to work at a windowless office)... I'm pretty much on a "get out of jail free" pass for a bit now

May buy a house, undecided yet, but definitely going to wait for atleast a year before making a decision. Unless something falls in my lap that I can't resist. I've never rented so it'll be tough for a bit knowing my $$ is going towards nothing but someone else's mortgage.

I'll see you on Maui "sick-of-winter"... perhaps we should orgainze a "CityData" Hawaii newcomers bbq or something?

Enjoy the new surroundings

-V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: