Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,585 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming I won't get many responses on this but I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 mazda protege (in good, well kept condition). Anyone have ideas about this cars reliability? It's only got about 80k on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
They are pretty reliable, but very prone to serious rust issues.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They are pretty reliable, but very prone to serious rust issues.
ok, this one was garage kept but I'll have to look out for that

Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM

In addition to these spots check out the strut towers under the hood. A lot of that can be going on while the exterior side/top views still look great.
https://imgur.com/a/PjrJf

Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
My wife had a 1996 Protege LX. Even though it wasn’t the sporty ES that thing handled like a sports car. Unless you have a repair shop receipt, don’t believe the owner’s date for timing belt change. Get it changed yourself and change it on the recommended schedule. Have the suspension inspected and replaced as needed. Check the engine motor mounts. When they start to go you’ll feel excessive vibration at idle. Check the date code on the tires and replace as needed. Ensure you get the best possible sport touring tires you can afford for the best handling. If fuel economy is your focus then get the best low rolling resistance tires you can afford. With the car in the garage and the door closed, turn on the headlights. Look for signs of hazing or cracks. A headlight that suffered hazing can be cleaned to look good but those imperfections still remain reducing the light distribution. If so, replace the headlight assembly. These assemblies come with new bulbs.

Is this car an ES? The ES is the sport model.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My wife had a 1996 Protege LX. Even though it wasn’t the sporty ES that thing handled like a sports car. Unless you have a repair shop receipt, don’t believe the owner’s date for timing belt change. Get it changed yourself and change it on the recommended schedule. Have the suspension inspected and replaced as needed. Check the engine motor mounts. When they start to go you’ll feel excessive vibration at idle. Check the date code on the tires and replace as needed. Ensure you get the best possible sport touring tires you can afford for the best handling. If fuel economy is your focus then get the best low rolling resistance tires you can afford. With the car in the garage and the door closed, turn on the headlights. Look for signs of hazing or cracks. A headlight that suffered hazing can be cleaned to look good but those imperfections still remain reducing the light distribution. If so, replace the headlight assembly. These assemblies come with new bulbs.

welp, looks like someone beat me to the punch. Car was just sold.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
welp, looks like someone beat me to the punch. Car was just sold.
Oh well. It was an impressive car in its day. It was very roomy for a compact and cornered like a sports car. Not very fuel efficient nor smooth but very fun to drive.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

That was the previous generation. For the 98-03 generation they introduced the MazdaSpeed Protege for the sporty model.

The Protege5 was a truly excellent vehicle...aside from the rust issues. May even pick one up as a runabout now that I'm in the PNW where rust isn't an issue.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I'm assuming I won't get many responses on this but I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 mazda protege (in good, well kept condition). Anyone have ideas about this cars reliability? It's only got about 80k on it.
Had a blue 00 protege es with 90k when I bought it for $3500. Had a five speed never replaced a thing on my car other then maintenance items. The cars handle like a front wheel drive Miata. Wish I still had mine.
Fair warning though keep it below 80 at that speed the car is turning 4,000 rpms and eats gas. You can get a taller 5th great but it only drops the rpms by 500, not really worth it.

Never had any issues with rust though guess it depends where one lives. Tire size for this car are a bit odd but you should be able to find them. Changing plugs are easy as they sit right on top. Can’t think of anything else other then I’m jealous. Been thinking about finding me another one at some point.

Btw my had 198 k on it when I sold it.

Hope this helps pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited by reed067; 01-16-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 PM

79 posts, read 81,889 times
Had a 2000 ES... loved it... bought it with 89,000 miles on it.. but as it approached the 200,000 mile mark multiple problems.. O2 sensors, cv joints leaking, etc. Final blow was alternator froze up.. had a junkyard tow it away and probably crush it into a metal cube.. sad..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda