Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering buying a 2015 CX-5, Grand Touring edition. In the dealer's info, they do not have a remote starter listed as an installed option. Anyone know if this is standard on this trim level? I did some research a while back that suggested it was standard for the GT, and maybe the dealer just left it out of the details.

I have an email in to the sales guy, but I'm trying to go in armed with numbers and info and such. Figured I'd see if anyone here knew! If it's not standard, I can have it installed, but need to factor the cost for that in. Sales guy gave me a quote of $900 for that.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
It is NOT standard equipment on any model. They quoted you $900?? That's RIDICULOUS.
First off, my dealer offered to have an aftermarket one installed for me before I picked up the car. They have a deal with some local company. That was $300. I got that one. There was a second option that Mazda doesn't offer for 17. There's yet a 3rd option that Mazda does offer. I was quoted $650 for that. You can see it HERE < LINK It's not even $500 for the parts! $900? What the f#%?!?!?!

That Mazda Mobile Start app gets HORRIBLE review too. Look for the app in your phone store and read the reviews. I do not recommend.

I would suggest telling this dealer to pound salt on the remote start and have someone do it aftermarket. This does not affect your warranty. Expect it to be $300-$400.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the response - I think it's ridiculous too, but it's something I very much want and would prefer to have it rolled into my payment, rather than having to pay for it out of pocket and arrange to get it done. I'd also prefer to have Mazda OEM parts.

The salesperson I've been dealing with confirmed that it's not installed on the vehicle I want - he does have one with it installed but it's significantly more expensive and not a color I'm terribly into. Not worth it, I'd rather pay for it on top of the much lower sticker price of the one I'm looking at.

I'm not really interested in the app, just have regretted not getting one in my current vehicle (and Nissan quoted me $500 on that).

I'm also planning on using it as part of my bargaining....so we shall see what happens.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Oh, I agree with you it's MUST HAVE. LOL The price is ridiculous, not you wanting it.

Well, the only thing they offer is the App unless they do something like what all the dealers in my area do (contract out to a local installer). I know that's not corporate Mazda policy, so your dealer may not do it. The App install doesn't come with a Fob AND there is an annual charge to use it ($60) because it uses a cellular radio. So if your thinking "I'll get Mazda Mobile Start and just not use the app"... you cannot.

I would at least call a local installer. Get a price. At the very least it will help in negotiating. Best case, they tell you $300. Don't finance $700 when you can pay $300 because you don't want to make an appointment. The Installer may have some better options too.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:21 PM

255 posts, read 451,130 times
I just bought a 2014 CX 5 Grand Touring. It does not have remote entry, but it does have keyless entry and keyless starter. I like both of those features. As long as you carry your fob with you on your person, you can get in the car without using a key and you can start it without a key. I'm trying to think of why it would be important to have a remote starter.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:08 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
I just bought a 2014 CX 5 Grand Touring. It does not have remote entry, but it does have keyless entry and keyless starter. I like both of those features. As long as you carry your fob with you on your person, you can get in the car without using a key and you can start it without a key. I'm trying to think of why it would be important to have a remote starter.
Remote start would be great in the winter in a vehicle with heated seats operated by a toggle switch. I expect some folks use it in the summer so the A/C has a head start. We had it in a '13 Ford Escape, and I think the only time we ever did anything with it was to see if it worked... because a lot of the electronic goodies were problematic in that vehicle (for us, anyway).

Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
I'm trying to think of why it would be important to have a remote starter.
It's not important... in Nevada. Where did you live before that? (Cuz nobody in LV is from LV! lol)

Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Remote start would be great in the winter in a vehicle with heated seats operated by a toggle switch. I expect some folks use it in the summer so the A/C has a head start. We had it in a '13 Ford Escape, and I think the only time we ever did anything with it was to see if it worked... because a lot of the electronic goodies were problematic in that vehicle (for us, anyway).
Ok now I understand, thanks!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's not important... in Nevada. Where did you live before that? (Cuz nobody in LV is from LV! lol)
Southern California-Orange County-Irvine/Tustin near the foothills

Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

So I picked up the 2015 GT last night. She's a beauty and drives much more nicely than my previous car, 2011 Nissan Rogue. I was not able to negotiate the addition of a remote starter (but was able to get the deal numbers down a little anyway). They did confirm that the cost of a Mazda installed remote starter is $895 plus tax (8.875% here). There's even an $1195 option but I didn't bother asking what the heck that entailed.

I decided it's ok - while it's definitely a nice to have in NYC, in both summer and winter....I don't drive nearly enough these days to justify the extra expense. Plus, I don't use my car to commute, so I don't ever have to worry about warming it up in the morning.

Either way, very happy with the purchase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda