Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 32,662 times

Advertisements

Hey..I am a recent graduate who is in his late 20s with an IT associate who is thinking about moving to Memphis...and I wanted to get some feedback on whats it like living itn Memphis as far as nightlife, the IT industry , and the city as a whole..Do you really need a car for commutes. I would appreciate the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times
First, where are you from and what would you be comparing Memphis to? And do you have some idea as to expectations?

Nightlife? It's been a while since I was in my 20s, but from what I hear there's something for every taste. IT I can't answer for. Car? Yes, you'll need that. City as a whole? I've been in major cities in the South, in Florida, Mid-West, the West Coast and the Northeast and several foreign countries, and I'd say there are some differences but if you had to sum it up, I personally don't think Memphis is that bad a place to live and raise a family compared to many of the others.

But, if I was young again and ALL my options in life were fully open and I had no family ties in Memphis and could get a job anywhere, I'd personally go for a nice spot with a year around warm weather climate and a nearby ocean. The Clearwater or Port Charlotte, FL, areas would be my first choices. For temperate climates, the St. George UT area would be my top choice.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Definitely need a car. I think there are plenty of things for younger professional people to do. Memphis may not be the best city in the country, but there is plenty to do for younger people, and it's what you make out of it (like any city). But like was said, if you are picking a city at random, there are better options.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,983 times
Default Moving to Memphis

Desoto County is a great place to move, it is just across the stateline from Memphis and has lower taxes. Yes, you need a car. As a realtor in MS and TN, I am seeing quite a few folks moving from Memphis to Desoto County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwoolf View Post
Hey..I am a recent graduate who is in his late 20s with an IT associate who is thinking about moving to Memphis...and I wanted to get some feedback on whats it like living itn Memphis as far as nightlife, the IT industry , and the city as a whole..Do you really need a car for commutes. I would appreciate the feedback

Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,961 times
IT is one of Memphis' best career areas for young professionals. A couple of our local Fortune500s (International Paper & FedEx) were rated as some of the most innovative in the industry. Also, Memphis contains the monolithic IRS center which has one of, if not the largest data farm in the southeast U.S... And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 08-25-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM

201 posts, read 636,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwoolf View Post

In your late 20's ?? but no BS or advanced degree ?

I would perhaps advise you to look at a number or other cities that also have a more developed sense of a 'progressive community', and cultural awareness, not to mention a more solid educational footing in the community.

Memphis does have some well-known firms and employers for sure....but so do a lot of other cities and regions of the nation that in my opinion and experience, outshine Memphis TN easily.....for a really young professional, you should broaden your scope to other options as well......Memphis is hardly at the cutting edge of progressive thinking, and life.....and I would share that personal observation with any young IT, relatively inexperienced, new professional looking aroung the nation.

Memphis can be a very repressive city and environment by comparison to many other leading cities. That said, Memphis 'could be' perhaps a leading southern city.....but frankly it's taken many steps backwards...backward thinking....slow acting....undereducated to say the least.. in short if you have about 10-15 years to 'waste', then it might be worth a shot to look closer at Memphis, TN........however, the grounds and sands are shifting a lot faster, in better directions, in other cities...some much smaller...some larger....

On balance, and as a professional, I would advise you to look twice before concluding that Memphis, TN is a first rate option....it is not a 'first rate option' by many many measures.....everyone however has an opinion based on experience..mine is that of an executive living and working with a variety of 'populations' on many levels......and I have little interest in 'blowing smoke up your skirt'.........I would tell my own son or daughter to look elsewhere at more competitive options, and try like hell to avoid the Memphis 'experience'.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
Weisnheist is there anything good that you would like to point out as far as Memphis. I've been thinking about relocating. I'm taking a trip out next week. I guess to see what all the negativity that everyone speaks of. I'm coming from the D.C. area. There aren't too many areas in the country that can match the IT arena like the D.C. region. But like everything there is a give and take when it comes to relocation.

I grew up in Prince George's County, MD and Fayetteville, NC. If you know anything about Military towns, then you will probably know that often times not much is around for the citizens or the soldiers to do. However I like the south and I understand the way of thinking down there. While things are changing still there needs to be more done in order to really live up to the acceptance and opportunities of NYC, DC, LA, Houston. It seems like Memphis is in a good position to become a great place. Centrally located, Low cost of living and three decent colleges. Just my thoughts. But that is me looking from the outside.

I've very rarely come across post that actually make Memphis a decent place to live. If the thread starts like that then it ends on a downward spiral. I get it can be racist. There are a lot of southern cities that struggle with this, even in so called diverse military towns. You got ghetto's and uneducated there. You've got them everywhere. Crime is high. Well crime is pretty high in most of the largest cities in america. I get that things are pretty tough right now, but as a person who has seen D.C. transform from the Murder Capital of the nation to a progressive and exciting city. Then I don't see why Memphis can't sprout up there with Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Anyway I thought I would ask what are your thoughts on what is good. Maybe in the end Memphis is just not for you. I get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
In your late 20's ?? but no BS or advanced degree ?

I would perhaps advise you to look at a number or other cities that also have a more developed sense of a 'progressive community', and cultural awareness, not to mention a more solid educational footing in the community.

Memphis does have some well-known firms and employers for sure....but so do a lot of other cities and regions of the nation that in my opinion and experience, outshine Memphis TN easily.....for a really young professional, you should broaden your scope to other options as well......Memphis is hardly at the cutting edge of progressive thinking, and life.....and I would share that personal observation with any young IT, relatively inexperienced, new professional looking aroung the nation.

Memphis can be a very repressive city and environment by comparison to many other leading cities. That said, Memphis 'could be' perhaps a leading southern city.....but frankly it's taken many steps backwards...backward thinking....slow acting....undereducated to say the least.. in short if you have about 10-15 years to 'waste', then it might be worth a shot to look closer at Memphis, TN........however, the grounds and sands are shifting a lot faster, in better directions, in other cities...some much smaller...some larger....

On balance, and as a professional, I would advise you to look twice before concluding that Memphis, TN is a first rate option....it is not a 'first rate option' by many many measures.....everyone however has an opinion based on experience..mine is that of an executive living and working with a variety of 'populations' on many levels......and I have little interest in 'blowing smoke up your skirt'.........I would tell my own son or daughter to look elsewhere at more competitive options, and try like hell to avoid the Memphis 'experience'.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Jayman1981

Memphis is not as bad as some make it out to be. Some people simply refuse to see the positives of living here and constantly focus on the negative. The city has problems with crime, public education, and blight, but those are things not unique to Memphis. Most large cities struggle with these issues. Please do not let the select posters who constantly trash Memphis cloud your view. Definitely take what they say with a grain of salt. There are nice places to live in the City of Memphis, and the surrounding suburbs are really nice. Most crime in the city is petty theft and most violent crime (probably 90%) is focused on people who actually know each other or are involved with buying/selling drugs. These problems are more prevalent in the bad parts of town. If you live in a nice part of town or the suburbs the problems of inner city Memphis would rarely affect your life.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM

201 posts, read 636,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Weisnheist is there anything good that you would like to point out as far as Memphis. I've been thinking about relocating. I'm taking a trip out next week. I guess to see what all the negativity that everyone speaks of. I'm coming from the D.C. area. There aren't too many areas in the country that can match the IT arena like the D.C. region. But like everything there is a give and take when it comes to relocation.

I grew up in Prince George's County, MD and Fayetteville, NC. If you know anything about Military towns, then you will probably know that often times not much is around for the citizens or the soldiers to do. However I like the south and I understand the way of thinking down there. While things are changing still there needs to be more done in order to really live up to the acceptance and opportunities of NYC, DC, LA, Houston. It seems like Memphis is in a good position to become a great place. Centrally located, Low cost of living and three decent colleges. Just my thoughts. But that is me looking from the outside.

I've very rarely come across post that actually make Memphis a decent place to live. If the thread starts like that then it ends on a downward spiral. I get it can be racist. There are a lot of southern cities that struggle with this, even in so called diverse military towns. You got ghetto's and uneducated there. You've got them everywhere. Crime is high. Well crime is pretty high in most of the largest cities in america. I get that things are pretty tough right now, but as a person who has seen D.C. transform from the Murder Capital of the nation to a progressive and exciting city. Then I don't see why Memphis can't sprout up there with Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Anyway I thought I would ask what are your thoughts on what is good. Maybe in the end Memphis is just not for you. I get that.

since you addressed me personally, I shall respond personally and for your own consumption, and not for the consumption necessarily of other posters who have the right to their own opinions based on their own experience.

My opinions are my own based" on hands-on, real-life experience living here in memphis for over 15 years, with a total "exposure" of over 20 years. It is not the only place I live, work or play...it is no where near the only place I have lived.

Second, I'm not 'selling' anything...

I have no vested interest in your moving or not moving to Memphis....again, I already KNOW what I'm talking about in relation to my own experience and perceptions.

Opinions need not be 'popular'....that's silly.

There is a reason why people share time and time again the so-called 'negatives' about Memphis or moving to Memphis......duh. Everybody could not simply 'lie'...or have some sort of 'agenda' about Memphis, TN...again that would be silly indeed.

I am not a 'PAID POSTER' like some others that frequent these sorts of sites...paid for starting discussion threads, and increasing web traffic.....keep that in mind.......this is important to acknowledge..

Nor do I work for the visitors and convention bureau....keep that in mind too..

I do not work for one of the local media outlets, like the Commercial Appeal, the Flyer or maintain my own 'blog site' like some others do....

I do not write for another publication on the web either.....

I do not work for, nor am I a vocal member Memphis-based civic, or so-called 'young professional' groups that exist for some sort of 'support structure' for Memphis, or the region....like perhaps a few others do.......keep that in mind as well....

I don't work for the local government, directly or indirectly...

I am not affiliated with the Chamber of Commerce.....local or regional....

I don't work for local lobbyist organizations...such as 'gaming' concerns....keep that in mind.....really....lol

Similarly, I don't work for a public relations firms in Memphis, that hire people to actually get on websites to cheerlead for Memphis......and yes please do keep that in mind too......

I don't work for major local employers such as FEDEX and others, who spend BIG MONEY to promote their homemtown nationally and internationally......that includes hiring people to camp out on the web as well.......lol.......

BIG MONEY is always spent to encourage visiting conference and convention locations...whether it's Orlando, or Memphis......

I don't work for non-profits or other organizations that benefit from huge FEDERAL GRANTS in the 100s of millions of dollars, that have an interest to 'put a happy face' on Memphis, TN........such as hospitals, research organizations, federally sponsored university programs and the like.......

Take 'opinions' for what they are...but don't be naive or a fool....do your own research and support it by as many objective metrics that you can......

So 'what is necessarily good about Memphis'.....??? the so-called 'potential' it has........and the hearts of most of its people........but the collective negatives far overshadow that potoential....

Potential is one thing.......leaving the past behind is another......growth must accompany 'potential'....intellectual growth is stymied in Memphis...growth first happens between your ears.....it starts with education, exposure, not phoney accolades.......and in this sense, Memphis is far far behind......but it's going to take DECADES in my opinion....Memphis squanders its own opportiunities....it is mired in old thinking, in a slave-town mentality (both black and white)...........while other cities are blasting past Memphis at star-speed...

If you have that kind of time to see the potential come to fruition, you go right ahead and dive in...but Memphis has to jump up to touch the bottom in my experience and opinion.....

Everyone may have 'good intentions' in Memphis....but 'the road to Hell was paved with good intentions'

Last edited by weisenheist; 08-27-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
You know as an active poster in the D.C. forums. I respect your opinion. I guess the one question I do have is why 15 years of living here if the city isn't really your cup of tea.

Believe me I understand if it's do to finances, business interest or family. but like you stated if your not being held down by anything Memphis related why are you here? Just a question. Don't mean to sound sarcastic, I'm just inquisitive I suppose. I believe the words and wisdom of this board helps a lot. I guess I'm coming for different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
since you addressed me personally, I shall respond personally and for your own consumption, and not for the consumption necessarily of other posters who have the right to their own opinions based on their own experience.

My opinions are my own based" on hands-on, real-life experience living here in memphis for over 15 years, with a total "exposure" of over 20 years. It is not the only place I live, work or play...it is no where near the only place I have lived.

Second, I'm not 'selling' anything...

I have no vested interest in your moving or not moving to Memphis....again, I already KNOW what I'm talking about in relation to my own experience and perceptions.

Opinions need not be 'popular'....that's silly.

There is a reason why people share time and time again the so-called 'negatives' about Memphis or moving to Memphis......duh. Everybody could not simply 'lie'...or have some sort of 'agenda' about Memphis, TN...again that would be silly indeed.

I am not a 'PAID POSTER' like some others that frequent these sorts of sites...paid for starting discussion threads, and increasing web traffic.....keep that in mind.......this is important to acknowledge..

Nor do I work for the visitors and convention bureau....keep that in mind too..

I do not work for one of the local media outlets, like the Commercial Appeal, the Flyer or maintain my own 'blog site' like some others do....

I do not write for another publication on the web either.....

I do not work for, nor am I a vocal member Memphis-based civic, or so-called 'young professional' groups that exist for some sort of 'support structure' for Memphis, or the region....like perhaps a few others do.......keep that in mind as well....

I don't work for the local government, directly or indirectly...

I am not affiliated with the Chamber of Commerce.....local or regional....

I don't work for local lobbyist organizations...such as 'gaming' concerns....keep that in mind.....really....lol

Similarly, I don't work for a public relations firms in Memphis, that hire people to actually get on websites to cheerlead for Memphis......and yes please do keep that in mind too......

I don't work for major local employers such as FEDEX and others, who spend BIG MONEY to promote their homemtown nationally and internationally......that includes hiring people to camp out on the web as well.......lol.......

BIG MONEY is always spent to encourage visiting conference and convention locations...whether it's Orlando, or Memphis......

I don't work for non-profits or other organizations that benefit from huge FEDERAL GRANTS in the 100s of millions of dollars, that have an interest to 'put a happy face' on Memphis, TN........such as hospitals, research organizations, federally sponsored university programs and the like.......

Take 'opinions' for what they are...but don't be naive or a fool....do your own research and support it by as many objective metrics that you can......

So 'what is necessarily good about Memphis'.....??? the so-called 'potential' it has........and the hearts of most of its people........but the collective negatives far overshadow that potoential....

Potential is one thing.......leaving the past behind is another......growth must accompany 'potential'....intellectual growth is stymied in Memphis...growth first happens between your ears.....it starts with education, exposure, not phoney accolades.......and in this sense, Memphis is far far behind......but it's going to take DECADES in my opinion....Memphis squanders its own opportiunities....it is mired in old thinking, in a slave-town mentality (both black and white)...........while other cities are blasting past Memphis at star-speed...

If you have that kind of time to see the potential come to fruition, you go right ahead and dive in...but Memphis has to jump up to touch the bottom in my experience and opinion.....

Everyone may have 'good intentions' in Memphis....but 'the road to Hell was paved with good intentions'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis